Traverse City

MJLO

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I just saw this Sunday night when I was out downtown, no camera though. It's been closed off all winter and apparently this is why. Before, it was just a little water fountain down there. It was always kind of a neat little space. I saw you guys talking about this in the Flint forum, but it is right next to a little cafe/coffee shop and it used to have tables out there. I don't know how they will fit them in now.

NO, he's not serious. It's kinda like that movie with that guy who does that thing with that chick. Get it. :D Anyway, sorry I havn't responded. My computer took a dump and no longer works. And to answer your question, I think it's Hull park.

If you ever go to Traverse, check this house out. It is absolutely massive. Very tall (is it four full stories?). I like how Traverse City's historic district is like Heritage Hill but scaled down to 2/3rd's the size (except of course for this house).

This house, which is no longer a house, used to belong to Perry Hannah. He was a lumber baron from Chicago in the late 1880's and 90's. Now it serves as a funeral home. Kind of a waste IMO.

HannahMansion.jpg

Unfortunatly for me, now I have been inside of this house/funeral home. Even though I was there for a viewing of a friend who passed away, I just had to take a look around. The porch is pretty cool, it wraps half way around the front of the house and the sides. I don't know if there is one on the back. It looks like it could use a little paint, but thats about it. Like I said, it's a funeral home now so it's not like I could just go walking around looking at stuff.

Yeah that would be a little creepy.

So, on the development front for our little burg here, a stupid little parking deck has caused the uproar of the good people of my fair city. I will now be up to the population to decide whether or not to use public money for the project. It will either be on a special ballot sometime in August or during the general election in November. But the city is still going to spend $200,000 to do a study on, get this, how to save money on the construction of the deck. Hmm, let me think. Oh, I know, DON'T SPEND $200,000 ON A STUPID STUDY. :angry: God, I hate this place sometimes. The stupidity that oozes from City Hall could fill the bay, both of them, if it were liquid.

I try to keep up with it, but right now I'm a little preoccupied with trying to find a job. :blink: Also, there really isn't much development going on in Northern Michigan other than TC and Petoskey. Everywhere else like Ludington, Manistee and Alpena, I really don't here too much of. But, I will try to keep my ears and eyes open for everyone.

I'm from the Alpena area originally. There are some things going on in the downtown vacinity along the Thunder Bay and Thunder Bay River, but that's about it.

I'd like to stop in town one of the weekends I'm home this summer to make a photo post about the city.

Interesting little blurb in the TC Record-Eagle today in the opinion section. I think I will share with you. The guy is whining about the project slated for West Front St., for those that don't know, it's a couple of mixed-use buidings (an 8 story and 4 story) and a 4 level parking deck. He says that it wont "fit in with the charater of the area". This is what is on W. Front St. A 4 story bank, a 4 story office, a 1 story newspaper office, and then a couple of abandoned buildings and two surface lots and then a 10 story apartment complex. Could someone please tell me how this project doesn't fit? I'm confused and was hoping for some help.

What more did it say, is there a way I can read the article?

Why is NIMBYism so rampant up there? Alot can be said for careful city planning, but some people take that to mean that any change or diversification is bad, change is inevitable.

I don't think there is a way to read them without having the paper in front of you. It's by the opinion section but is not really a "traditional" opinion. From what I understand, you can e-mail the record-eagle and they will put it in a section called "your views". You don't have to leave a name or adress.

Basically what the rest of the article said was that downtown was growing to fast and that it was out of charater with the area. The 10 story park place hotel has been downtown since the 1930's and the 10 story apartment complex since the 70's or 80's.