Traverse City

MJLO

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think that the development itself is in trouble of not being built, just the parking deck from what I understand. I am pretty sure that its just the 16 million in public funding, which will all go to the deck, that is being voted against.

I wish they would just build the damn thing. During the cherry festival, on a Thursday, I could not find a parking spot anywhere downtown at 8:30 at night. Except for the current parking deck, which is 5 blocks away (not that it is far). As for the rest of the development, I hope it gets done and I hope that it makes other developers want to build taller.

i know what you mean about the parking during the festival, me and my cousin went to the video store and swung through DT on the way back,and it was packed, not that its a bad thing. Plus ,like you said,having taller buildings would be cool too.

check out this pdf about downtown TC,(if youve got the time) it talks a lot about zoning and downtown plans and such, but it also has quite a few pictures(about halfway down, i think) of what buildings downtown looked like in the early 20th century and what they look like now. there is one on there that used to be 5 storys, but it caught fire in the 70's and the top 3 storys were destroyed so its now only 2 storys. Pretty interesting.

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/20...e+City+2006.pdf

Yeah, that building sits at Cass and Front. It has the Espresso Bay coffee shop on the ground floor corner w/Cass and Front. It was actually remodeled a few years back. They changed the brick and added quite a few more windows.

ebead741.jpg

This is a shot of it looking west down Front St.

On another note, I just got home from the free movie at the open space park for the TC Film Festival. Tonights show was "Napolean Dynamite". It was pretty damn cool, even though I have seen the movie about a dozen times. Quite a large turnout. I would put it at around 1000 to 1500 people. Just a rough estimate based on the size of the park and how full it was. Pretty cool stuff.

Someone was selling the Vote for Pedro shirts last night. I didn't bring enough loot with me though for one.

Edit: BTW, I will be downtown again tonight working the open space for the film fest. I will try to remember my camera and take some shots of the screen and the tons of people.

Edited by Ka3kab

Oh yeah, almost forgot, here are some shots I found from the open space.

24.jpg

Looking towards the west at the crowd with the projector inside the truck.

18.jpg

Setting up. Obviousley not quite time for the movie to start. If anyone is familiar with the open space, it fills up back to the flower garden, and then people start sitting in the area behind the garden about half way to the Parkway. There were also a few, about two dozen or so, sitting in the area where the power plant used to be.

48.jpg

49.jpg

hmm, looks like fun. did quite a few people come out there?

also, i hope that building gets built, because that area thats all grass/gravel where people park is horrible, that would definitly sprice the area up a little. and in that video, they show a parking lot across the street from the building, pine st i think it is. isnt that the site where that other guy wants to build that 7 story building?

edit- i found a site plan.

siteplan.jpg

Edited by dtown

pretty sure. I don't think that that is Pine St. though. But maybe it is, I always just thought that it was the begining to State St. where Front St becomes a one way.

Edit: Here are some more plans.

FedCapBNorth-Elev-Color.jpg

existing5_fs.jpg

This is the property right now.

Edited by Ka3kab

yeah, i looked at a map, its Pine St, which is where that other guy wants to put that 7 story building, and right across the street from here at the old car dealership, the Federated Properties guy wants to put up a 3 story building, so if all these get built, man, this area will have a lot more activity. and it will be nicer without all those parking lots and that grass area.