Traverse City

MJLO

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good news about Federated, IMO. Did you real the article. I think he's trying to stick it the city commision and unfortunatly for them, there may be nothing they can do about it this time around. He won't be using city money, there will be less public parking, but the building will be the same size. I love it.

well, i just keep asking questions and posting articles, and ka3kab takes the pics and provides the local viewpoint.lol, it seem s to be working pretty well.

but really, i think this thread is more active than the ann arbor thread most of the time.

First to answer dtowns question, the developer wouldn't say to much to the Record-Eagle I guess (probebly still pissed off from the election) but he was willing to lease them to either the city or county.

MJLO, I like to keep it going, let the downstaters know whats happening up here and such.

How about this.

DSCF0001.jpg

The first snow of the year. I hope its gone by this afternoon.

Yeah, its still snowing. I hear parts of the western UP are supposed to have 1 ft and half by the weekend. So I guess we can't complain about the little dusting in the photo above.

By the way, does the bay freeze enough where you can walk on it? Or is that not recommended?

• 2 weeks later...

Did you guys find out any more informatin on the bank? I will check with work tomorrow to see if I can release any information about it. I would assume I can since they are building...

Since its on their website they are building in TC, I can verify that it is the Bank of Northern Michigan going in there... the same company is the Bank of Holland on Ionia Ave in Grand Rapids

Edited by jbr12

They did really well. Finished 1 1/2 game out of first place, but unfortunatly for the size of the league, that meant they would miss the playoffs. But it was still a very big success for the park. They drew in over 200,000 people, a record for the league in an inagural season, and topped 4200 people a game. They also won 57 games, which was also a record for an inagural team. They sent 7 players to the leagues all-star game, recieved the award for best organization of the year (east division), and one of thier pitchers, Tony Casoli, won the best pitcher award.

I think and I hope that this being an independent league, the owner was trying to gauge the market and see if he can maybe pull in a minor league class A team. I definatly think that it can, I'm not completly sure, but I don't think other minor league teams in Michigan pull off those kinds of numbers other than the West Michigan White Caps.

Midwest League 2006 Attendance figures

Team Overall Average

Dayton 582,903 8,447

Kane County 500,052 7,353

West Michigan 356,155 5,237

Lansing 331,503 4,947

Fort Wayne 253,564 3,841

Peoria 235,031 3,406

Wisconsin 209,033 3,215

Cedar Rapids 176,021 2,588

South Bend 164,138 2,564

Quad Cities 146,688 2,328

Clinton 108,301 1,569

SW Michigan 84,969 1,327

Beloit 84,547 1,281

Burlington 65,190 1,018

4,200 per game would put them in the top tier, which would allow them to be competitive within the division. I think it could certainly be a possibility.

I'm glad to hear that they did do very well. Hopefully I can catch a game next year.

OK, I stand corrected. Guess I should have looked up those numbers as well. But still, not to shabby for Traverse City. The top 5 are in markets that are much larger than TC's. I think we may have to wait another year though to see if the numbers keep up with last year. You know, maybe it was a novelty or something. I don't think that, I went to a couple of the games, and there seemed to be a nice mix of people there. Young, old, couples and the like.