Sprindale Minor League Sports Complex and Minor League Baseball Stadium

mcheiss

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

According to http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t1350:

The Northwest Arkansas Naturals will practice for the first time under the lights at Arvest Ballpark next Monday (March 31st) at 6:00 P.M. The event is open to the public and gates to the ballpark will open at 5:30 P.M. The workout should last approximately two hours. Admission for this special event is a suggested $2 donation to the United Way, who will be on site. The Naturals official merchandise shop, Red Dirt Outfitters, will be open during the workout, as will the ticket office.

The Naturals expect to release their Inaugural 24-man roster late this week, in advance of the club's first road game Thursday, April 3rd in San Antonio.

According to http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t1350:

The Northwest Arkansas Naturals will practice for the first time under the lights at Arvest Ballpark next Monday (March 31st) at 6:00 P.M. The event is open to the public and gates to the ballpark will open at 5:30 P.M. The workout should last approximately two hours. Admission for this special event is a suggested $2 donation to the United Way, who will be on site. The Naturals official merchandise shop, Red Dirt Outfitters, will be open during the workout, as will the ticket office.

The Naturals expect to release their Inaugural 24-man roster late this week, in advance of the club's first road game Thursday, April 3rd in San Antonio.

W-NW-ARK.jpg

Coming in from Springfield, MO tonight, I noticed you can see the tallest of the stadium lights, quite clearly, from Garfield, AR (which is NE of Rogers and whose name is obscured by the "Pea Ridge Natl. Military Park" on the map).

Its exciting that the stadium is already done down there. I can't wait to see on my next visit! Can anyone tell me how to get there from the 412 exit? I'm sure alot of you guys are excited about the season being so close. Up here in Springfield the St. Louis Card's came down to play 2 exibitions games this past Friday and Saturday... the funny thing is, the Springfield Card's won the Saturday game 10-3. How Ironic. LOL

Its exciting that the stadium is already done down there. I can't wait to see on my next visit! Can anyone tell me how to get there from the 412 exit? I'm sure alot of you guys are excited about the season being so close. Up here in Springfield the St. Louis Card's came down to play 2 exibitions games this past Friday and Saturday... the funny thing is, the Springfield Card's won the Saturday game 10-3. How Ironic. LOL

They're considerably more than 30 feet tall, the stadium itself is a few stories tall, and the lights are a few stories above that.

The lights show up pretty clearly from the north end of Bentonville, I assume in the right conditions they could be visible from a ways off.

I just have never noticed them driving back from Rogers/Bville or up from Fayetteville before. You can easily see the glow from the stadium from Fayetteville, but can't see the lights until you are basically right on top of them from either direction in my experience. You can see them further away from the north than the south on 540 but even then you can't see the lights from outside of Springdale. That is amazing that you can see a structure that small from that far away. Even if they are 80 feet tall that is quite a distance away...maybe there is some interesting geography where there are no hills taller than the lights between them and Bentonville in that particular line or something.

Two strikes and two outs in the third and the Naturals score their first official run. They lead the game 1-0 in the top of the third.

Actually make that 3-0, they scored two more before they finished the top of the inning off.

Now it's almost time to start hearing more about future development around the stadium. There was an article in the paper today talking about how we should probably start hearing things in the next few months. That general area of Springdale has already been seeing growth. I imagine there will be another spurt of growth to happen starting later this year. The paper mentioned Indianapolis and Frisco, Tex as examples of development popping up around new baseball stadiums. Although I don't really think those two areas are very good comparisons. Both of those metros are a lot larger than us. I'm also curious to see how quickly developments pop up in this area. If this had happened last year it probably would have happened very quickly. But with the market in it's current shape I wonder if things might happen a bit more slowly. But even with the market the way it is I still think there will be development taking place later this year. While other NWA cities have been seeing increases in revenue (Fayetteville started showing increases again for a number of months now), Springdale has still been down and will be looking for something to help it change that pattern.

Now it's almost time to start hearing more about future development around the stadium. There was an article in the paper today talking about how we should probably start hearing things in the next few months. That general area of Springdale has already been seeing growth. I imagine there will be another spurt of growth to happen starting later this year. The paper mentioned Indianapolis and Frisco, Tex as examples of development popping up around new baseball stadiums. Although I don't really think those two areas are very good comparisons. Both of those metros are a lot larger than us. I'm also curious to see how quickly developments pop up in this area. If this had happened last year it probably would have happened very quickly. But with the market in it's current shape I wonder if things might happen a bit more slowly. But even with the market the way it is I still think there will be development taking place later this year. While other NWA cities have been seeing increases in revenue (Fayetteville started showing increases again for a number of months now), Springdale has still been down and will be looking for something to help it change that pattern.

Without trying to sound negative I think the problem up here in NWA is the "beggars can't be choosers" attitude some cities take. While Dallas has a lot of attraction for the best of everything, NWA does not and the choice is either to take anything you can get now or wait for the right development to come along and possibly wait for a very long time.

That area of Springdale should see growth but I agree these are bad comparisons. The stadium in Frisco was placed where development was going to be the hottest in the DFW area at that time it was built whether the stadium was there or not. The gargantuan Stonebrier Mall was there and Pizza Hut Park, the MLS soccer facility was built in close proximity. Legacy in Plano is just 5 minutes South and has JC Penney's, EDS (Perot's company), Dr Pepper/7-Up, and other companies' corporate HQs.

I hope Springdale will be smart and patient and force good development around it rather than giving in to any proposal on the books. With building in NWA on the downswing it might be best to wait until the market rebounds in a couple of years and put the right development in.

That area of Springdale should see growth but I agree these are bad comparisons. The stadium in Frisco was placed where development was going to be the hottest in the DFW area at that time it was built whether the stadium was there or not. The gargantuan Stonebrier Mall was there and Pizza Hut Park, the MLS soccer facility was built in close proximity. Legacy in Plano is just 5 minutes South and has JC Penney's, EDS (Perot's company), Dr Pepper/7-Up, and other companies' corporate HQs.

I hope Springdale will be smart and patient and force good development around it rather than giving in to any proposal on the books. With building in NWA on the downswing it might be best to wait until the market rebounds in a couple of years and put the right development in.

Yeah I also agree. Even though Springdale does seem to want to not make the same mistakes it made in the past. With revenues down I'm guessing the city will feel somewhat pressured to get something in there now and not wait too long for something better to come along. But who knows maybe something good will come about soon. While I don't think Springdale should look at those other cities as an example, I do think this is Springdale's chance to have an area that will be a 'destination'. Although Springdale has grown quite a bit I think many of the people there still go outside the city to shop or eat out. That also means few people outside of Springdale actually go there to do anything either. But I think the new ballpark will provide people a place that people outside the city will consider going to. But we'll also just have to wait to see what the city ends up putting in around it.

The name of that site is a little deceptive. It's actually the Northwest Arkansas Times site, which although it's name says NWA is actually the newpaper that focuses on Fayetteville city and rural Washington County news. Back when it was an independent paper (before the ADG came to NWA with a local editionand bought the NWA Times) it was the main paper for the area. Now the ADG and Morning News are the main papers so they have more regional coverage.

That's assuming your post was about there not being NWA Naturals coverage on the front page of it. The ADG had it on the front of the sports page in the hard copy, don't know about the Morning News. :)

First game at the new stadium is tomorrow night. Bad thing though is that there's a good chance of bad weather as well. If it gets put off then they'll have a double header on Friday. But hopefully it won't come to that. I've heard Royal great George Brett is supposed to attend the game.

First game at the new stadium is tomorrow night. Bad thing though is that there's a good chance of bad weather as well. If it gets put off then they'll have a double header on Friday. But hopefully it won't come to that. I've heard Royal great George Brett is supposed to attend the game.

Archived