Sprindale Minor League Sports Complex and Minor League Baseball Stadium

mcheiss

I agree and it wouldn't be very cost-effective for the city or state to add an interchange just for this ballpark. Some minor road construction might be needed and some traffic lights added, but it could be another 20-30 years before the area around the ballpark is developed enough for anything major to be done. It's nothing like the plans for the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Dallas (100,000+ seats). Even if they filled a third of the stadium traffic would be a nightmare!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds too risky. There's too much gambling going on in NWA as it is. Pinnacle Hills in Rogers proved itself before a dime was spent on road improvements or a new interchange. A ballpark alone in a very underdeveloped area of Springdale isn't proof enough that the area will keep developing. The wise thing to do is wait at least a couple years after the ballpark is built and see if it makes as big an impact as some believe.

I think the risk is in spending over 40 million dollars for a major east -west multilane road (the Southern Corridor) that is now being built across the entire City of Springdale and not connecting it to the major north- south road (I540) through the region. This is not a gamble - the road is being built right now- trees are coming down and dirt is being moved. As it is now, construction will end a long homerun ball away from I540.

The city has already approved construction of the additional infrastructure in the ballpark area. A good way to make sure the ballpark area doesn't develop successfully is to not provide easy access to it. Anyone who has drove through the I540/412 interchange or along 412 itself will tell you it is congested now. With the further development of the Har-Ber area and Tontitown traffic will only grow. With addition of sewer service to Tontitown (it is being installed now, not later), that small town will grow quickly to a much larger town with more traffic that will have to use 412 to access I540.

A lot of NWA's problems have come from not planning for the future. Waiting leads to more expense and disruption. This is a chance to prevent that added expense and disruption plus let developers looking to build in that area know that their investment wil pay off.

i can vouch on the explosive growth thatll take place in tontitown, the first to grow will be the 112 corridor, besides, developers know whats up, not only is that harps in harber meadows decent sized, they are building a fullsize wal mart neighborhood market across the street from it, they have already started installing sewer south from 412 all they way down 112 towards steal rd, almost all the land has been sold, bulldozed, and dvided by brick and concrete walls, waiting for utillities to be ran out there for the subdivisions to begin popping up all over the place, just infron of my house on fletcher ave and barrington rd they are cutting roads through the field for the 250 home subdivision. that east west corridor is supposed to head over top of 540 and continue to 112 in tontitown, with 112 possibly being widened from that point to 412. all of my info comes from my grandmother who recently retired from being the secretary of tontitown.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out I get a free ticket to a game in 2008 because I suggested a name for their team on the website. Which by the way, most people have mentioned that it looks like it will be the Naturals. But I don't think it's been made official yet has it?

The Rich Baseball website says the name will be announced this month, so should be any day now. I imagine it was decided a long time ago. I still haven't heard if it will be Springdale whatever or NWA whatever.

Has anyone been by the ballpark site lately? KNWA just reported that Rich has moved their offices to the site, I guess in the house at the corner of 56th and Watkins.

Congratulations on your free ticket! I have to admit I'm a bit envious since I submitted a team name early in the game and I didn't win a free ticket. Was your team name listed on their website? Anyways, I still think they'll choose Northwest Arkansas Monarchs over the Naturals. I doubt that they've selected the name already because they would've announced it by now since we're in the 4th week of February.

Congratulations on your free ticket! I have to admit I'm a bit envious since I submitted a team name early in the game and I didn't win a free ticket. Was your team name listed on their website? Anyways, I still think they'll choose Northwest Arkansas Monarchs over the Naturals. I doubt that they've selected the name already because they would've announced it by now since we're in the 4th week of February.

I got a call from Rich Baseball today. Tickets are supposed to officially go on sale March 12.

I asked about the team's name and the rep told me Rich Baseball was tied up with getting trademarks and there should be an official announcement in a couple months. They're also wanting to have the team's logo and uniform completed before any announcement.

I got a call from Rich Baseball today. Tickets are supposed to officially go on sale March 12.

I asked about the team's name and the rep told me Rich Baseball was tied up with getting trademarks and there should be an official announcement in a couple months. They're also wanting to have the team's logo and uniform completed before any announcement.

It sounds from Mr. Rich's comments at the groundbreaking that Rich Baseball will use a regional name for the team . I assume that means Northwest Arkansas. Like he said, Springdale by itself isn't big enough to support a Double A team but NWA is.

It sounds from Mr. Rich's comments at the groundbreaking that Rich Baseball will use a regional name for the team . I assume that means Northwest Arkansas. Like he said, Springdale by itself isn't big enough to support a Double A team but NWA is.

I don't know, everything I've heard so far is that Springdale wants it's name on there because they're the ones who are spending all the money on this. I can't blame them there really. By the way there was a rendering there at the groundbreaking. From what I could see of it, it looked a lot better than any of the renderings I've seen so far.

To tell you the truth, i really think we will have a better chance gettin our name out there on a national and international level as NWA instead of Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers , Bentonville Metropolitan area, NWA sounds so much better, its like the Tri cities in Kentucky, and the Quad cities in Iowa and Illinois, and we're not just Fayetteville, not just Springdale or Rogers or Bentonville or Centerton or Tontitown or Elm Springs etc, we're NWA, and I'm proud of it. If we want this ballpark to do well in greater NWA, then unity is the name of the game.

• 2 weeks later...
Verification: I got to hear the spiel of the GM of the new team last week. Confirmed: they won't announce the name of the new team until the end of this season due to organization regs. Thunder Chickens is most likely not the team's name. Most likely it will named as a

Archived