NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I was not around during NoDa's authentic "gritty" period. It's an interesting commentary on how things have changed that two iconic NoDa institutions : the Fat City site and Neighborhood Theater are both being enveloped by condo projects. Some artistic gravity has shifted to Area 15 in Optimist Park which is doing well and they also have a bare bones satellite on Parkwood. I also agree that NoDa is always couched in terms of "getting there" but it still has not made it yet.

I know 'condo' as a term has a bit of an uncool connotation, but people need to live places, including artists and leninists and so on. Should we call them flats or something? Somehow, living in a single family home seems less edgy than a denser community, even if it is fairly new. There is still plenty of grit around those parts.

Surely we aren't saying that a gravel lot in the heart of NoDa is a good thing over denser housing that can support a lively district?

I suppose there is a bit of the desire to be the 'undiscovered' place, but really life is full of cycles and there are plenty of places in the surrounding areas to NoDa that could sure use some of the pioneer attention.

I also agree that NoDa is always couched in terms of "getting there" but it still has not made it yet.

Probably because "there" is redefined constantly by people who have their own vision of what they want it to be. I'm sure to many a working artist, it passed being "there" about 10 years ago, and for a certain yuppie subset, it won't be there until there is a Starbucks and Caribou across from each other.

Now if you are talking in terms of "there" as a self-contained community, yeah, it's still not there, and has a little further to go, especially in terms of essential retail (grocery) and professional services (doctors, dentists, accountant, etc.)

Quite true, everyone has a different perception of the neighborhood based on their likes and dislikes. It's all snapshots in time. I am excited about more retail. What they have is great but more options to attract greater street traffic outside of gallery crawls would be awesome. I just hope the new stores don't dilute the character. Plaza Midwood has done admirable job so far of maintaining local flavor overall in it's business district so it can be done. A market is definitely a needed linchpin. Central NoDa is relative pocket of affluence surrounded by much lower income demo. I don't see a specialty grocer moving there and making it work.

As far as urban pioneering goes I see Optimist Park and Belmont trending that way. Condos are already in OP. Those of us dodging bullets and knife attacks in Dilworth lately feel like urban pioneers too.

A market is definitely a needed linchpin. Central NoDa is relative pocket of affluence surrounded by much lower income demo. I don't see a specialty grocer moving there and making it work.

As a resident, I have to disagree. Noda is desperately in need of a market. From my vantage point in this 'hood, everyone I meet is a young married couple, not a dirt poor artist. Young married couples (like myself) like to have cookouts, and dinner parties etc. We have no where to get that stuff. We could go Harris Teeter Uptown, or on Central, or Food Lion Plaza (but we won't buy meat or veggies there), but the biggest draw of this 'hood is that it is a walkable community. We walk everywhere. I hate my car. I would much rather walk up to Mercury. And I think I am not alone with my neighbors.

^So why don't you walk to the supermarket that is located near the intersection of The Plaza and 36th Street? In the days when that was an A&P it served as the market for North Charlotte which is now referred to as NoDa. It's walkable and certainly within reach of a bike from anywhere in NoDa.

^So why don't you walk to the supermarket that is located near the intersection of The Plaza and 36th Street? In the days when that was an A&P it served as the market for North Charlotte which is now referred to as NoDa. It's walkable and certainly within reach of a bike from anywhere in NoDa.

Using that store should certainly supply an ample amount of 'grit' everyone seems to want in the area so badly :o

Thats the Food Lion. It's at 35th. We can walk there, and it is the most used grocer we have, but their meats and produce are not good. Same goes with the Bilo at Plaza & Eastway. They're usable but we would like something healthier and in better shape.

Edited by The Escapists

As a resident, I have to disagree. Noda is desperately in need of a market. From my vantage point in this 'hood, everyone I meet is a young married couple, not a dirt poor artist. Young married couples (like myself) like to have cookouts, and dinner parties etc. We have no where to get that stuff. We could go Harris Teeter Uptown, or on Central, or Food Lion Plaza (but we won't buy meat or veggies there), but the biggest draw of this 'hood is that it is a walkable community. We walk everywhere. I hate my car. I would much rather walk up to Mercury. And I think I am not alone with my neighbors.

I was agreeing with you. I love walking to the HT on East. I just think it's a tough overall area for a Fresh Market or Whole Foods are whatever to move into. And that's the type of grocer talked about in the article. On the smaller local level Nude Food Organic which opened behind Smelly Cat quickly went out of business.

Thats the Food Lion. It's at 35th. We can walk there, and it is the most used grocer we have, but their meats and produce are not good. Same goes with the Bilo at Plaza & Eastway. They're usable but we would like something healthier and in better shape.

No, not that foodlion. The store I am talking about is north of 36th.

Here's some info about Noda provided by last night's neighborhood association meeting:

Mercury Noda update is that the sales center should be open by mid/late April. When asked more about the retail portion of the project (phase 2) the developer mentioned a couple of ideas: green grocer, small hardware store, bicycle shop. He is insisting on mom and pop stores and when asked about Trader Joes as being an option, seemed to balk at the idea of such a corporate store, but mention they have considered them.

New of note is Noda is designing a new greenway/park located on 36th between the railroad tracks and Tryon. It will be on Cullman. I gathered some info about it, sounds great, but they are just soliciting design ideas now, although from what I understood the city has already allocated the funds and space for it.

Noda was chosen as the "best hood" in the Creative Loafing poll in last months issue. I assume they will announce it in this months issue.

CATS came and made a presention about the Blue Line Extension. Nothing new, just some neighborhood outreach. When asked about the intermodal yards being moved, the representative admitted she had heard the rumors, but had no solid answers about whether it was really going to happen.

I am glad that the Mercury developer is dedicated to finding locally owned businesses to fill the spots. Who knows, maybe a decade or so from now NoDa will be a fullfledged walkabe district. And one can spend the day there like in other similar sized cities as opposed to a couple blocks that leave one wanting much more to see and explore.

I am glad that the Mercury developer is dedicated to finding locally owned businesses to fill the spots. Who knows, maybe a decade or so from now NoDa will be a fullfledged walkabe district. And one can spend the day there like in other similar sized cities as opposed to a couple blocks that leave one wanting much more to see and explore.

The developer for The Mercury is quite unlike your average developer. He does have the neighborhood interest in mind as much as a profit in mind. He hangs out in NoDa, goes to N'hood Theater, and overall isn't just there for a buck.

^What exactly is unpleasant about the current grocer? The demographics that go to the store? The shunning of such places by the newcomers to Noda who won't shop there? By almost any measure it fits the definition of neighborhood grocery store. It caters to the customers, provides specific groceries instead of a generic menu, and offers a nice alternative to the chains like Harris Teeter.

Of course we know the real answer to that. The people moving into Noda, that is quickly transforming itself into "pretend" urban neighborhood, have no interest in being a part of a real urban neighborhood because it makes them too uncomfortable. So instead all of the old funky places are being torn down and replaced by units that might as well be placed in the suburbs because it is the same mentality.

^What exactly is unpleasant about the current grocer? The demographics that go to the store? The shunning of such places by the newcomers to Noda who won't shop there? By almost any measure it fits the definition of neighborhood grocery store. It caters to the customers, provides specific groceries instead of a generic menu, and offers a nice alternative to the chains like Harris Teeter.

Of course we know the real answer to that. The people moving into Noda, that is quickly transforming itself into "pretend" urban neighborhood, have no interest in being a part of a real urban neighborhood because it makes them too uncomfortable. So instead all of the old funky places are being torn down and replaced by units that might as well be placed in the suburbs because it is the same mentality.

Amen to that!!! This is why North Davidson is dead and they call it NoDa now.

I've lived in much more urban cities than Noda, and I can say I am not pretending to live in an urban neighborhoood. Anyone who has lived in an urban area knows there are places that you might not venture into for safety. That's what makes a city a city, understanding that crime is around, and a respect for safety around it.

I suppose the demographics and pretense of urbanism were a possible interpretation of my post, so take this as clarification. The dead body at the grocery, due apparently from a murder, is what I was referring to as unpleasant.

I have no problems with holdover businesses from previous eras of a neighborhood. But crime is serious, and a very reasonable reason for people to stay away from an area.

Have you actually been to Talco? Your description doesn't fit this store at all. Their selection of fresh fruit and vegitables is non existant. Most everything in the store is in a plastic wraper and manufactured in a factory somewhere. There is nothing funky or urban about Talco at all.

For Noda to become more urban and funky they dont need more Talco's that sell crap you can buy anywhere....they need more places like Salvador Deli and Market that sell items that are fresh and healthy and you can't get anywhere else in the city.

Have you actually been to Talco? Your description doesn't fit this store at all. Their selection of fresh fruit and vegitables is non existant. Most everything in the store is in a plastic wraper and manufactured in a factory somewhere. There is nothing funky or urban about Talco at all....
If this is the old A&P yes, I happened to be in there about 3 weeks ago and I see where this store could meet the daily needs for most people. I would challenge you to find fresh vegetables in any chain store in Charlotte. Certainly you won't find this in Harris Teeter, Foodlion or Bilo that sell sick vegetable that have been trucked in from corporate farms far away. (at great expense to the environment too)

.....The dead body at the grocery, due apparently from a murder, is what I was referring to as unpleasant.

I have no problems with holdover businesses from previous eras of a neighborhood. But crime is serious, and a very reasonable reason for people to stay away from an area.

No doubt crime is a problem in these areas, and I would contend that it is this way in part because these areas are consistantly ignored by the well to do in this city. If there was more real interaction between Noda and its neighbors across the street then this might not be the case.

If this is the old A&P yes, I happened to be in there about 3 weeks ago and I see where this store could meet the daily needs for most people...

Completely different store. Talco is on 36th St. The old A&P which is now the Giant Penny is on The Plaza. I think that if you visited Talco then you would agree that Noda doesnt need anymore stores like it.