NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Steel Gardens is really looking amazing. I love the area, the work, the design the feel. It's amazing to look back over these threads and see this thing when it was called Herrin Towers.

The reason I was looking back was because I was trying to find a rendering of what Bonterra calls "Tower houses" on the site. There are 4 of them to be built. They are doing foundation work for them now.

The 3 story townhomes are great looking. I can live without the single family style houses fronting Herrin. And the 5 story interior condo buildings are coming to completion now too - I have no opinion on them now other than they are bigger than I thought.

But that whole little district feels very safe and comfortable.

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm quoting this from the Intermodal Yards thread.

The Gateway development has been called "Yards at Noda," and you won't find much info about it, but the grading is done and waiting. There is another rezoning ap and project just north too: I made a map a couple months ago. Most of this is north of the Matheson St. bridge though. (How can I get a jpg of a google map - I stole mine from Dubone).

A little bit more about this project. It will be 340 units, and all rental, at least in the intial phase.

Construction is set to begin in November.

This is the same developer as The Colony and The Renaissance further up Davidson, so I'm not holding my breath for quality construction.

Site Plan.

166.jpg

I'm quoting this from the Intermodal Yards thread.

A little bit more about this project. It will be 340 units, and all rental, at least in the intial phase.

Construction is set to begin in November.

This is the same developer as The Colony and The Renaissance further up Davidson, so I'm not holding my breath for quality construction.

Great, I was hoping to see some info on this. Did you see anything about elevations? I had seen several plans for this project with several different densities and elevations.

I agree about Colony and Ren, they're both HORRIBLE. Ren feels like college apartments. More than worrying about the actual units and buildings, I hope they do well with extending 35th St. and including the streetscape into the neighborhood.

That's all I got.......I have a feeling this will feel like a separate community , especially considering it is across the rail line.

^I think that will be the case until the Lynx is open; at which time this will feel like more of the neighborhood, and the new barrier will be the Lynx rail line.

Keep in mind that the existing railline that Yard will be across is only a single line that is imbedded into parking lots and streets. There are no crossing arms, no feeling of grade seperation, and unless you look, you really don't even notice them.

• 3 weeks later...

That's all I got.......I have a feeling this will feel like a separate community , especially considering it is across the rail line.

I forgot to mention this already, but last week the Noda Neighborhood Association voted down the proposal for this development at Tryon and Matheson. Although it is barely part of our community, the city does recognize it within our neighborhood association. We don't disagree with the rezoning and development of this area, but we felt like the site plan was too "suburban college apartments."

Also, we heard an amendment for the rezoning to Davidson at 27th project - which is the companion to 28th Row. There are some thing we are not crazy about with the project, but for the most part we feel like the developer and the projects are acting with Noda and Villa Heights best interests.

Lastly, we heard from a not yet filed rezoning for 36th @ McDowell. It was from the team who did Steel Gardens. They did not have anything other than a massing diagram which showed 27 flats on 3 levels fronting 36th. This is what we are trying to achieve - an open dialog with a developer before architectural plans are drawn. It allows us as the neighborhood to make suggestions for the direction of the streetscape. They mentioned an interest in Modern (as is Steel Gardens) and we came back that a more traditional, rowhouse/brownstone/bungalow style would be preferred on 36th. Let's hope they take the advice.

Obviously, our neighborhood association does not hold the full fate of these projects in our hands, but we have a very good relationship with our representatives and they respect our opinions.

^ It does seem like your neighborhood association has a good relationship with open communication toward developers and it shows in the quality of much of the projects around there. Stands in stark contrast to the knee jerk "man the barricades" attitude assumed by many other other city neighborhood groups. The under construction Davy Apts look interesting, I wonder what the rent will be?

Tryon at Matheson....this is different than the Yards Project that we were discussing, correct? I assume you guys are opposing the little cul-de-sac apartments on the throw away piece of land that is accessed from Matheson? Really tough site to work with, but I'd rather see it fallow that get developed for the sake of development.

So do we the Villa Heights neighborhood have a vote on development that occurs in NoDa? Did I miss a meeting? I didn't even know anything about the 27th row project. As a Villa Heights homeowner, I find it unsettling that NoDa has had a strong voice in this development when I feel we haven't even been informed of a meeting concerning this project. Sorry, I don't want to sound rude. I've tried to word it so it isn't.

Also, the ice cream shop is coming along. I noticed chairs inside as well as someone inside working just the other day. I don't know if it will be prime ice cream timing being in the fall though.

One last thing, what's wrong with Steel Gardens? I absolutely loved the combination of modern/rustic feel of it and why does Renaissance feel like College Apartments? I also like that development. I'm not being smart but I just want to know what about these developments seem off compared to what you would rather have. Is modern bad?

thanks

So do we the Villa Heights neighborhood have a vote on development that occurs in NoDa? Did I miss a meeting? I didn't even know anything about the 27th row project. As a Villa Heights homeowner, I find it unsettling that NoDa has had a strong voice in this development when I feel we haven't even been informed of a meeting concerning this project. Sorry, I don't want to sound rude. I've tried to word it so it isn't.

Also, the ice cream shop is coming along. I noticed chairs inside as well as someone inside working just the other day. I don't know if it will be prime ice cream timing being in the fall though.

One last thing, what's wrong with Steel Gardens? I absolutely loved the combination of modern/rustic feel of it and why does Renaissance feel like College Apartments? I also like that development. I'm not being smart but I just want to know what about these developments seem off compared to what you would rather have. Is modern bad?

thanks

I am sure Villa Heights would certainly have a say in these projects. I don't know a lot about your neighborhood association and how active and organized it is...I know a lot of times (and specifically the developers of 28/27th) come to us because they already have a relationship with us. Don't quote me on this, but I think I heard they tried to address your neighborhood but didn't hear back about meetings. Maybe your president could contact them and ask them to come in. There are a few things you may want to chime in about - the positioning of retail facing 27th etc.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Steel Gardens. I actually LOVE that project. But I don't think it should be built in the historic "downtown" part of Noda.

I am the developer of the NoDa @ 27th Street project and I make it a point not to post on this site. I feel it serves as a great outlet for the community to openly critique our projects and it allows us an opportunity for unfiltered information about how well (or poorly) our projects are received. However, I do not post because I feel it could influence, sway, or galvanize someone's views of our projects unfairly.

In this instance I am posting because we strive to provide ample opportunities, in addition to those required by the city, for the community to help us improve our projects. The Villa Heights Association played as much, if not more, of a role in the direction of this project and had a great influence, in addition to NoDa, in the direction of the plans I would encourage you to attend our monthly Villa Heights Association meeting to discuss those issues which are important to you. They include crime, community service, Optimist Park improvements, and rezoning. They meet the second Tuesday of every month at McCreesh Place on North Davidson Street.

We met and presented the NoDa @ 27th Street project twice to Villa Heights Association and held two open Community Meetings, both of which anyone was invited to. I can not stress how important it is to attend these meetings, especially the Association Meeting, as you never know what project or issues they will be addressing which you might not have input into otherwise. I would also encourage more people to attend and be involved as the more bodies which are there, the more people you have watching out for their neighbor and working to improve conditions in our neighborhood.

fatcity102608fm9.jpg

Now I'll reserve my final judgement to when I actually see this in person when I'm back in town in November, but I think I might like how this project is shaping up. It doesn't seem to be nearly as much brick as I thought there would be, but Its definately unique, which is how they shoul be builing things in NoDa. I really like how the street level still resembles the rest of NoDa, that really helps the project for me.

Edited by Guest