NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

14 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I don't know, but if any one Market force was to encourage it to proceed, Amelie's seems like the one.

That said, it has been said that the Herrin Coal and Ice buildings would need to go for the Philemon ROW. Is that definitely the case?

If Norfolk Southern allowed it, they could make do with taking out this shed. Now, saving that brick building would depend on the likelihood of it being renovated rather than razed/redeveloped; who knows what will really happen.

I call this collection of photos, "A Song of Ice and Coal"

IMG_20190902_093237.jpg

IMG_20190902_093136.jpg

IMG_20190902_093144.jpg

IMG_20190902_093052.jpg

IMG_20190902_093020.jpg

IMG_20190902_093044.jpg

Call me a hipster, but I LOVE these buildings with all my heart.

1 hour ago, kermit said:

What was where Renaissance Place / Steel Gardens is today?   Woods? Warehouses? Houses? None of the above?

It was a steel plant as my uncle worked there for many years. I think the name was Charlotte Iron and Steel.  For sure a brownfields site. 

Sorry the name was Century Steel and Iron I just remembered it as I went there many times to pick up my uncle Bill with my cousins.  

Edited by KJHburg
Correct name
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe this thread fell to page 3. Grubb has filed a presubmittal for Herrin Ice, which is 6.8 acres of prime real estate along 36th Street, next to the choo choo. This could be MEGA for NoDa.

17 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Can't believe this thread fell to page 3. Grubb has filed a presubmittal for Herrin Ice, which is 6.8 acres of prime real estate along 36th Street, next to the choo choo. This could be MEGA for NoDa.

Does this mean they now own the parcel? There are gonna be some serious remediation issues there, have they passed the point of no-return on those?

Just now, kermit said:

Does this mean they now own the parcel? There are gonna be some serious remediation issues there, have they passed the point of no-return on those?

They don't own it yet. 

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Wow, that is a big deal.  Since the City has been planning an extension of Philemon, does that mean the developer would have to provide the right of way in order to rezone? 

14 hours ago, pathb said:

Wow, that is a big deal.  Since the City has been planning an extension of Philemon, does that mean the developer would have to provide the right of way in order to rezone? 

I sure hope so.... Philemon needs realigning to connect with Cullman Ave at 36th.  Is there a link to the Philemon extension project on charmeck site?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

I sure hope so.... Philemon needs realigning to connect with Cullman Ave at 36th.  Is there a link to the Philemon extension project on charmeck site?

Since the 5-6 years since the NECI project public meetings, where I heard about it several times, I can currently only find mentions of a Philemon extension in one or two PDF docs on the city's site. So I take it it's on a back burner. Probably hoping for a developer.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Thanks 1

Biz Journal has big article on the Herrin Ice and Coal site redevelopment.  I agree this is a gamechanger for that area and hopefully prosperity will reach more over to N Tryon.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/10/04/how-noda-site-under-contract-by-charlotte.html

Not much details on the Grubb plans yet other than it will include one of their Link branded apartments.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Biz Journal has big article on the Herrin Ice and Coal site redevelopment.  I agree this is a gamechanger for that area and hopefully prosperity will reach more over to N Tryon.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/10/04/how-noda-site-under-contract-by-charlotte.html

Not much details on the Grubb plans yet other than it will include one of their Link branded apartments.  

I know there's a snowball's chance...in Charlotte in October... of this happening, but I just wish someone at Grubb had a little bit of imagination and could see to preserving the two oldest buildings fronting 36th--there's plenty of room behind as well as beside them to build tall and dense, including by the NS tracks. Having those irreplaceable buildings imaginatively framed would in all likelihood give the development a far greater unique presence than just another standard apartment block can achieve on its own.  I can dream for now, until the renderings come out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1