Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

That's the one, sorry bout the miscommunication. On craigslist sometime they say PierPointe but put pictures of that building up. I love the view, but the quality and size of the place leaves a little to be desired, and parking.

They're supposed to be building a second entrance to Fort Norfolk in addition to Colley Ave in this new construction on the Brambleton bridge. That's the only news i've heard since Harbor's Edge opened.

Norfolk to buy mission parcel for $2 million

The City Council on Tuesday agreed to buy a vacant lot on Monticello Avenue from the Union Mission for a little more than $2 million.

The city has no plans yet for the 1-acre parcel.

Stanley Stein, assistant city manager, said owning the land "is in our best economic interest."

The city is working to spread downtown revitalization beyond the business district and Granby Street, which includes the area north to Monticello Avenue.

Already, Bristol at Ghent, a 358-unit condo and apartment complex, opened on Monticello last year.

By owning the parcel, the city can better control how it is developed, Stein added.

Smart of the city to buy up this property.

Would have been terrible for a developer to get their hands on this parcel.

Some level of residential over retail with parking behind it would be nice!

Maybe some office space for medical or dental uses.

The Monticello corridor is ripe for redevelopment.

Edited by lil-bear

I love the fact that the city has been looking beyond the business district and Granby for redevelopment. I think it is important for a city to utilize as many of its streets as possible to create a true urban fabric that can survive the ups and downs in the economy.

Well, Downtown/Ghent/Fort Norfolk all have existing street grids.

Now we just need to get them built up to criticle mass!

Density I say, Density!!!!!!

Updates on 5 major projects throughout the city.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...662&tref=po

Summary:

1: Ghent South Towers is now called Fort Norfolk Plaza. Condos are out. First floor is now tentatively to be a restaurant and jazz club. Negotiations ongoing with Hyatt for an extended stay hotel franchise, and still in final negotiations to purchase the land from the city (which is actually owned by the state). Sentara looking into leasing some space and developer has hired all the necessary companies to build it. Hopes to break ground in July.

2: 201 Twenty One - As per that discussion, building shell is being kept, developer in negotiations with contractors. 212 apartments and ground floor retail. "Could" break ground in the summer.

3: Kotarides - Held up by parking issues with the YMCA and the fact that building location is on the proposed light rail track. Site plan and design review still being developed. Likely still some ways away from groundbreaking.

4: Virginia Arts Festival - Has $3M of the $3.5M needed to build, should break ground in July.

5: Commander Corporate Center - New headquarters for Blackhawk Products group set to open in June. A second building is scheduled to break ground once they have leased enough tenants.

Edited by Glassoul

I have a feeling I may already know what this is but I just can't put my finger on it.

Is this a renovation?

Isn't this the building that currently has the whole front ripped off?

It's a door or two from where Cosmo 418 is going to be built! :silly:

Edited by lil-bear

Isn't this the building that currently has the whole front ripped off?

It's a door or two from where Cosmo 418 is going to be built! :silly:

Lil bear is correct, it's one of Bobby Wright's building, near the Welton, but looks disasterous right now. There's a sign for condos in the window, but nothing's been done at all. And Cosmo is 'scheduled' to go directly next to this building, although at this point i wouldn't be surprised if lack of demand shelves those plans also.... :unsure:

I think they should build the city hall and all the courthouses into one building! It would really free some land up!

I agree. While construction of one building may cost more and cause inconveniences during a year or two of construction, in the long run the city stands to gain much more from consolidation of the courts. Not only would one building be taller (which I think most people here are rooting for), but remaining portions of the civic complex can be divided and sold off for private development--a move that will increase tax rateables and more than make up for the additional construction cost.

Very nice doc. One question. On p. 26, there's a rendering of Ghent South Towers. Is that the original view or the redesigned? It looks similar to the latest design, but also appears to show a better view of the project whereas the previous depiction everyone hated seemed to cut off part of the structure. If this is the latest, it doesn't appear to be as bad as we thought. Yeh, there's a lot of red brick that looks like the hospital, but the tower on the right certainly helps. I'm not sure I've seen this rendering before.

Edited by Sky06

After further review, based on the language in the doc, it must be an older picture.

Yeah the rendering in the document was posted on this site some time ago. The rendering of a mostly white building that everyone has been complaining about in the Fort Norfolk Plaza thread is unfortunately the most current (though hopefully not for long).

What a great document that was! It certainly shows that Norfolk is on the up-and-up. There were some projects there that I didn't know about. Although I was disgusted to see the pic of a Super Wal-Mart! :sick:

I was intrigued by the bits of info about the Broad Creek revitalization. Has anyone been out there (or better yet have any pics) and can discuss what's going on there now? I once lived in Ingleside so Broad Cr is close to the old neighborhood.

After further review, based on the language in the doc, it must be an older picture.

It is. This booklet came out in mid-2006 and is the book that I scanned that picture from. The rendering I posted a week ago is the most recent unfortunately. I'm glad they finally got around to posting this online.

We never really talked about it, but here's some pics of the Colonades (sp?) at Ghent

This project has been completed...

S7000235.jpg

S7000236.jpg

S7000237.jpg

I knew there was something getting me about this project. We did talk about this in the ghent development thread but this was its original rendering.

rendering.jpg

While interesting it wasn't that big and I think it just fell off the radar screen from there. The final product is far larger and it makes me wonder what the demand for this must have been like for them to feel comfortable doing that. I guess the condo market didn't slow down everywhere.

I knew there was something getting me about this project. We did talk about this in the ghent development thread but this was its original rendering.

rendering.jpg

While interesting it wasn't that big and I think it just fell off the radar screen from there. The final product is far larger and it makes me wonder what the demand for this must have been like for them to feel comfortable doing that. I guess the condo market didn't slow down everywhere.

It's always funny to read old comments and how the projects actually turned out. Back then we were praising Buddy for the innovation and high quality fill, this year we've been critcizing his tactics.

To your question vdogg, i think Marathon had a distorted sense of the market anyways (Granby Tower :whistling:) but i do think this project came out great. GT is outside their realm of expertise, Marathon needs to stick to projects like this, the Jamestown Building near NAOA, Granby St buildings, etc. GT was just too much to bite off for a company of that size, and it took the city bailing them out to make it work.

however, there are units still available for this project for sale, same as 388 Boush, so demand is there....just not the crush that was there 2 years ago.

Edited by spiker3