side and four (4) feet on the east side;

2) Deferred construction of the west side retaining wall along the Kent

County infiltration basin;

3) Deferred installation of the six (6) foot chain link fence on the east side

of the infiltration basin;

4) Deferred construction of the first drive south of Main Street;

5) Deferred installation of the retaining wall at the corner of Knapp and

East Beltline; and

6) Deferred construction of the west drive, parallel to the East Beltline.

7) Change from concrete paving and brick pavers to asphalt along Main

Street.

http://www.grcity.us/meeting.pl?meeting=719&type=agenda

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

In somewhat similar geographical area, Pioneer has started on the new 63rd Consolidated Courthouse across Knapp St (behind Chase Bank). They have a lot of the site cleared already.

The Planning Commission tonight granted four of the above seven requests from Benner (numbers 2, 3, 4 and 6).

Read

I'm still surprised that this project is trying to move forward. Every prediction that I am hearing has the number of retail stores nationwide contracting 10% - 20%. There is simply too much retail (and too much of the same thing) out there for the market that exists today. I wouldn't venture the correlation that stores closing in Woodland will lead to a new store at Knapp. A store closing these days means that the company is pulling up the stakes for a while until the market / economy improves.

Mostly true...especially of stores that already of a presence somewhere else in the area, mainly Rivertown. I know at one point, before the economic roof caved in and these 2 projects were announced, there were a couple stores at Woodland basically waiting on their leases to end so that theycould jump ship across town to Grandville.

Slightly off-topic but I got this in my email and wanted to share...

Retail is definitely going to be taking a hit:

Circuit City stores... most recent (? how many)

Ann Taylor- 117 stores nationwide are to be shuttered

Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug ,and Catherine's to close 150 store nationwide

Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January

Cache will close all stores

Talbots closing down all stores

J. Jill closing all stores

GAP closing 85 stores

Footlocker closing 140 stores more to close after January

Wickes Furniture closing down

Levitz closing down remaining stores

Bombay closing remaining stores

Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January.

Whitehall closing all stores

Piercing Pagoda closing all stores

Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January.

Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ (New Brunswick)

Macys to close 9 stores after January

Linens and Things closing all stores

Movie Galley Closing all stores

Pacific Sunware closing stores

Pep Boys Closing 33 stores

Sprint/ Nextel closing 133 stores

JC Penney closing a number of stores after January

Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.

Wilson Leather closing down all stores

Sharper Image closing down all stores

K B Toys closing 356 stores

Loews to close down some stores

Dillard's to close some stores.

Looks like we're going to have some vacancies...

How many storefronts was this development originally hoping to have? The news is worse and worse every day on the retail front (today it was Circuit City giving a final bow), and I don't know if I could name a dozen, let alone a hundred, retail shops that would open up a new shop at a time like this. This is supposed to be a "higher end" retail destination, so clustering a bunch of haircut shops, nail places, and cell phone stores in here won't cut it.

How many storefronts was this development originally hoping to have? The news is worse and worse every day on the retail front (today it was Circuit City giving a final bow), and I don't know if I could name a dozen, let alone a hundred, retail shops that would open up a new shop at a time like this. This is supposed to be a "higher end" retail destination, so clustering a bunch of haircut shops, nail places, and cell phone stores in here won't cut it.

For which one? Knapp's Corner or the 3 Mile development? I think Benner's will just be the D&W to start with.

• 1 month later...

For which one? Knapp's Corner or the 3 Mile development? I think Benner's will just be the D&W to start with.

That's what it's looking like right now. Benner was granted a six month extention to finish the streets, sewers and sidewalks. Ground is expected to be broken at the Fresh Market site within 60 days.

That's what it's looking like right now. Benner was granted a six month extention to finish the streets, sewers and sidewalks. Ground is expected to be broken at the Fresh Market site within 60 days.

Wow, he pulled in PF Chang. I'm impressed.

They've been clearing trees on the property in phases lately.

• 3 weeks later...

Lamar Construction trailer on site now. I wonder if the PF Chang is going in during the first phase?

I know PF Chang has always wanted that site, as do a lot of people, but from what i heard Benner only has spartan stores signed on to the project, and he is out of money, and can't get access to his bank money. Spartan is getting ready to walk if things don't change soon.

if hey get the changs up, noone will care about the shopping sulplus store, we all know it will turn into an outlet mall. nothing new retail wise can survive out there, its like a black hole for franchise stores.

side note. whats up with that car wash out there? its huge and has like 2 sprayers and one soaper. car is wet for 15sec total.

do i need to get out for that?

• 3 months later...

What's up with all of the construction equipment. Are they finally getting ready to do something?

According to a friend of mine on the Grand Rapids Township Board, yes (even though this is in the city, they keep track of things in their hood apparently).

Don't you mean GR Township? (BTW, they haven't posted any minutes or agendas since 2008)

No, that corner actually sits in the city of Grand Rapids. All I've heard is that the D&W and one restaurant outlot are moving forward, and that he has all of his approvals and financing lined up (not officially though).

I don't see anything. :dontknow:

Going from memory...the applicant had been charged with showing "substantial progress" by Sept. That's described in some previous BZA minutes (at home on my table, and I am DT)...included curb & gutter, cache basin, other site improvements. Running out of time; that was mid-June.

Last week at the meeting, the applicant was singing the economy blues. They have managed to do some creative financing; the Spartan store will be covering the costs of its own improvements. My fellow BZA members would like to avoid granting another extension. The previous one preceded my tenure (three meetings so far) on the panel.

HTH

Going from memory...the applicant had been charged with showing "substantial progress" by Sept. That's described in some previous BZA minutes (at home on my table, and I am DT)...included curb & gutter, cache basin, other site improvements. Running out of time; that was mid-June.

Last week at the meeting, the applicant was singing the economy blues. They have managed to do some creative financing; the Spartan store will be covering the costs of its own improvements. My fellow BZA members would like to avoid granting another extension. The previous one preceded my tenure (three meetings so far) on the panel.

HTH

with this guy having one of the worst reputations in town i would not believe a word he says. Yes both D&W, and PF Chang are ready, but benner has no money to complete the project. Yes they are trying to come up with "creative financing" but he has not been successful in that venture so far. He is still working at it. Will he be successful? Its anyone's guess.