TallyVision

Florida

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AOL/Internet Explorer (whatever the newest version is)

AOL still exists?????? :P (j/k)

Hey Mike,

The new website looks great and I think your 11pm newscast (only one I tend to watch) just keeps getting better. Question on the website: Why was the decision made on the head banner to show WCTV's bldg and not pix of the top personalities? Just curious as most of the other stations in the Gray group showcase their news people on this banner. I personally think that helps the audience identify w/the station better than a cold concrete bldg.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if News Channel 27 is now broadcasting out of the Midway Studio? If so, based on the quality of the news lately, I feel bad for that organization and I will be preparing my case to submit to ABC HQ for revocation of franchise or something. These people are killing us!

Does anyone know if News Channel 27 is now broadcasting out of the Midway Studio? If so, based on the quality of the news lately, I feel bad for that organization and I will be preparing my case to submit to ABC HQ for revocation of franchise or something. These people are killing us!

I dont think so. I think I heard late May/early June. Theyre supposed to be broadcasting in HD from their new studio too.

I agree w/ GG, I don't think so yet. At one time they said the new studio would open in April, but by the appearance of their studio, it looks like they are still out at WFSU.

Their move must be getting close though, I've noticed that when they show their address on air, they are now asking you to write to: Commerce Blvd, Midway instead of Red Barber Plaza which is where WFSU is located.

I feel your pain TJ, but before you take action, give them a chance to make the move and see what they can do out there.

I agree w/ GG, I don't think so yet. At one time they said the new studio would open in April, but by the appearance of their studio, it looks like they are still out at WFSU.

Their move must be getting close though, I've noticed that when they show their address on air, they are now asking you to write to: Commerce Blvd, Midway instead of Red Barber Plaza which is where WFSU is located.

I feel your pain TJ, but before you take action, give them a chance to make the move and see what they can do out there.

Thanks Both of you.

Your reference to the addresses Poonther, is exactly what I'm talking about. Seems they were in the new location yesterday, but I just wasn't certain. And the reason I had this feeling was probably because of the Midway Apartment Complex story and the Railroad Tracks. I'm thinking to myself, "Why else would they be interested in doing such an indepth report on something as minute as this with all of the other things they could be talking about."

Glad to know they aren't in Midway yet. I'm putting my pen and paper away.

:)

They're in Midway now. I think they've been there at least a couple of weeks, but I'm not sure.

Mike

--

Well dang they fooled me! :)

After McCall's update I just decided to take the matter into my own hands call them. As McCall stated they ARE in their new studios now (hey they did it in April like they said they were going to) and just moved the same set from WFSU to Midway. The nice lady on the phone mentioned that they are going to build a new Weather Center hopefully by June and also by June or July have a new interview desk and in-house kitchen for cooking on air I guess? She also stated they would not go HD until June or July.

Thanks for setting us straight McCall!

And TJ, in light of this news, you may wanna get your pen and paper back out?

Well dang they fooled me! :)

After McCall's update I just decided to take the matter into my own hands call them. As McCall stated they ARE in their new studios now (hey they did it in April like they said they were going to) and just moved the same set from WFSU to Midway. The nice lady on the phone mentioned that they are going to build a new Weather Center hopefully by June and also by June or July have a new interview desk and in-house kitchen for cooking on air I guess? She also stated they would not go HD until June or July.

Thanks for setting us straight McCall!

And TJ, in light of this news, you may wanna get your pen and paper back out?

:rofl: I'm laughing now, but I'll be writing a big time letter tonight. I'll start it local, if I don't get good answers I'm going to the big boys in the Northeast.

They're in Midway now. I think they've been there at least a couple of weeks, but I'm not sure.

Mike

--

How embarasssing. Why would you take a crappy set from a temporary studio to a brand new location?

MikeMcCall, you guys are the Comcast of Cable news...sheer monopoly. But at least you put out a good product!

My company has been working with one of our clients to develop a new local media option - a community news site, that will be launching next week.

I wanted to invite you all to try it out, it is called C2Unite (which is based on the Florida Commerce brand - Committed to You, C2U).

The site is based on the Digg concept with some additional community focused areas, which is to say that its content is driven by the users. Anyone can post interesting news stories to the site, and other users vote to increase popularity of interesting stories. There is a mechanism for users to discuss the stories as well. We hope to have the news primarily focused on stories that would be of interest to Tallahasseeans and stories about personal finance issues. We expect that a lot of stories from other local publications (maybe even UP forum posts) will be featured.

Accounts are free for all users, and FCCU members get to post additional content such as items for sale, community events, polls, etc.

As an extra incentive, at the end of each month we will be giving away $100 to some of the news contributors. See the site for details.

Since it is very new there may be a few bugs to work out still, PM me with any feedback or problems that you have.

Enjoy!

I had some extra time on my way back from Gadsden County this morning so I went into the 10/90 Industrial Park in Midway in search of the new WTXL-27 studio. After winding my way in there all the way towards the back I finally found them. First let me say that there is a lot of stuff in this 10/90 complex...Tallahassee has lost quite a few companies to this industrial park. Back to WTXL...I don't think they will be putting a picture of their facility on their website like WCTV did. It is nothing fancy at all...it's one of those typical metal buildings like you see in industrial parks. Maybe they're spending all their money on the inside on new technology, new sets, etc. That would actually be a good thing for them to do! The building is single story in the front & 2 story in the back which I assume is where the news studio is located. The self supporting microwave link tower is built & there were 2 guys up working on it. At the far back corner of the 2 story section was a mobile satellite up-link truck with cables running into the building. It was from their sister station, WWSB ABC-7, in Sarasota. It appeared they're using this up-link temporarily until they get all the other satellite dishes operational. There were several permanent satellite dishes out back waiting to be put into operation. Lot's of construction type workers everywhere, both inside & out.

I had some extra time on my way back from Gadsden County this morning so I went into the 10/90 Industrial Park in Midway in search of the new WTXL-27 studio. After winding my way in there all the way towards the back I finally found them. First let me say that there is a lot of stuff in this 10/90 complex...Tallahassee has lost quite a few companies to this industrial park. Back to WTXL...I don't think they will be putting a picture of their facility on their website like WCTV did. It is nothing fancy at all...it's one of those typical metal buildings like you see in industrial parks. Maybe they're spending all their money on the inside on new technology, new sets, etc. That would actually be a good thing for them to do! The building is single story in the front & 2 story in the back which I assume is where the news studio is located. The self supporting microwave link tower is built & there were 2 guys up working on it. At the far back corner of the 2 story section was a mobile satellite up-link truck with cables running into the building. It was from their sister station, WWSB ABC-7, in Sarasota. It appeared they're using this up-link temporarily until they get all the other satellite dishes operational. There were several permanent satellite dishes out back waiting to be put into operation. Lot's of construction type workers everywhere, both inside & out.

Tallahassee hasn't lost any companies to this park. As far as I'm concerned, the park is in Tallahassee.

I understand what Glenn means about the loss of businesses to Gadsden, but in the long run I think like you do TJ....and I suspect G does too. A metal warehouse??? Ah Glenn you are far too nice w/your words. A metal bldg for a TV studio, you got to be kidding.

Glenn I have a feeling that if I were to ever road trip w/you, it would take us hours longer to get somewhere b/c of all the side trips for sightseeing info. we'd do along the way like you did today. I enjoy doing that type of stuff, glad someone else does too.

Tallahassee hasn't lost any companies to this park. As far as I'm concerned, the park is in Tallahassee.

I should clarify myself....what I meant was the City of Tallahassee...in terms of taxes, business licenses, building permits, electric revenues, etc. Like you TJ & Poonther, I also think "Regionally" :thumbsup:

Update on WTXL from when I went by this afternoon...Still lots of construction activity going on. Engineers from their sister station in Sarasota were on site assisting the local WTXL engineers. There were 4 small satellite dishes & 2 larger dishes that are up & appeared to be operational, or at least ready to be. 6 more large dishes are sitting on their pads but not set-up yet. Still no signage or landscaping. The satellite up-link truck out back from their sister station in Sarasota has been replaced with a mobile studio/satellite truck from WAAY-TV ABC 31 of Huntsville, AL. Not sure of the connection to WTXL as WAAY is owned by Piedmont Television.

Hey Glenn, I thought I remembered reading that Calkins Media (who owns WTXL) recently bought WAAY in Huntsville. I "googled" it and here's what I found from Wiki:

WWSB is owned by Calkins Media, Inc., a Pennsylvania-based mass media company that owns several small newspapers in Pennsylvania and two other television stations: WTXL-TV in Tallahassee (which Calkins acquired in December 2005) and WAAY-TV in Huntsville, Alabama (acquired in February 2007).

Only reason I remembered that is b/c as a small lad from rural Alabama, I'd be shipped off to thriving metropolis of Huntsville to spend the week w/my chain-smoking widowed aunt in Huntsville who worked at Redstone Arsenal. I remember many a smokey room nights watching WAAY w/her.

Did they at least put a false facade on the front of their warehouse (brick, siding, tile etc) which you often see. This helps make the bldg. more appealing from the curb and less industrial.

Archived