Arcadia Hills

Brandon

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's near the old Woodland Hills off Keith Dr @ Pleasantburg if I'm thinking correctly. It's, pardon my cynisim, a modern looking ghetto. Section 8 in other words.

Is this what you can kind of see from 385 as you leave downtown on the right side that is hidden behing some trees??? If so, that's extremely disapointing. it's just going to end up being another neighborhood to revitilize down the road :sick: . Dont get me wrong, I'm all for the revitilization projects going on... but why put yourself in that situation again? I dont know... :(

Woa, Skyliner, we're on the same wave length at the same time.... WEIRD! :shok:

It doesn't seem like anyone likes this project, because in the future it will go down.

What would be the alternative, i.e. what would you do differently?

Never really thought about that... but I dont know. This is becoming known as our "midtown" area. Is this really what we want here?

Is this a development that you can see to the right of I-385 when headed out of GV? Single family homes....sort of traditional, sort of "gingerbread", pastel colors? If so, it's far better than what was there before. Seems like a nice attempt by the city give lower income residents a place to call their own. I could be thinking of the wrong place.

Gsupstate, you're thinking of the right place. I said what I did because I have seen them up close in person, and I can assure you that they are not as solid or "real" as they appear from afar. They look okay today, but there is no doubt that they won't be kept that way for very long.

Chickenwing, what I would do is look into building another structure similar to Scott Towers and put everyone living off of the government into it. It is being done in many places already, so why not do the same in this case and preserve this property for something more long-standing? Just a thought. :)

Gsupstate, you're thinking of the right place. I said what I did because I have seen them up close in person, and I can assure you that they are not as solid or "real" as they appear from afar. They look okay today, but there is no doubt that they won't be kept that way for very long.

Chickenwing, what I would do is look into building another structure similar to Scott Towers and put everyone living off of the government into it. It is being done in many places already, so why not do the same in this case and preserve this property for something more long-standing? Just a thought. :)

Sounds like a plan to me! :thumbsup:

Chickenwing, what I would do is look into building another structure similar to Scott Towers and put everyone living off of the government into it. It is being done in many places already...

You mean like:

Rayburn House Office Building

Longworth House Office Building

Cannon House Office Building

Russell Senate Office Building

Hart Senate Office Building

Dirksen Senate Office Building

One Observatory Circle

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

?? :rofl:

You mean like:

Rayburn House Office Building

Longworth House Office Building

Cannon House Office Building

Russell Senate Office Building

Hart Senate Office Building

Dirksen Senate Office Building

One Observatory Circle

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

?? :rofl:

Good one RT! :rofl:

I sense a lot of compassion for affordable housing on this list..."meth heads"??? Talk about generalizations...why don't we just create a fenced ghetto somewhere we don't want to go so we don't have to see "them."

People that are buying there are getting a chance at homeownership which is a first step to creating wealth and becoming less dependent on the government. I guess no one on this list has gotten any government assistance in any way... student loan, FHA mortgage???

It's a broad generalization. I agree on that myself. Of course you're gonna have good people out there. Hell, I'm sure that good people exist in Nicholtown, but for the most part, the common denominator is what we hear on the use, or have personal interaction with (ie: having a gun pulled on you for some LoMein and 30 bucks) I don't pity the people who live there. I really don't give a s**t that people live there want pity or a handout. If they want a better life, of course you gotta start somewhere. But try to make things better. It's a no go that they realize the handout is always going to be there. They gotta work for it. I did, dammit.

/end rant

I sense a lot of compassion for affordable housing on this list..."meth heads"??? Talk about generalizations...why don't we just create a fenced ghetto somewhere we don't want to go so we don't have to see "them."

People that are buying there are getting a chance at homeownership which is a first step to creating wealth and becoming less dependent on the government. I guess no one on this list has gotten any government assistance in any way... student loan, FHA mortgage???

What does the government have in place to make them accountable for positive growth? Generally, all I have seen is neighborhood upon neighborhood of lazy, unmotivated people who are unwilling to take the time to keep their affordable homes respectable.

I wish we had more facts about Arcadia Hills.

All I could find on the web was that The Greenville housing Authority owns the properly. I could not find a Web site for GHA or Arcadia Hills. My understanding is that the homes are sold to qualified buyers as opposed to rented ?? Who really owns these homes single mothers? The disabled? The retired? Lazy unmotivated drug dealers? I don't know.

I saw the previous government project at this location and believe me this is a huge improvement. The homes seem to be build fine (for what they are) and the place looks clean and keep up better that many neighborhoods that I have seen. Who knows what it will be like in 10 years but I believe this is a much better plan than the previous project. The people who serve us food, are building downtown and doing the labor we don't want to do have to live somewere? Maybe we can build a tent city in pickens and have them shipped in to work only.

Will greenville just become a city for the rich only (picture all of downtown as one huge gated development Thornblade II). I am not sure that these projects ever work but a diverse population is a important part of the urban experience, in my opinion. Hopefully Greenville can be home to Millionaires and the people who build their penthouses.

There is a project called Viola Street that is directly off of Stone Ave., near where I live. This was just getting underway when I bought my place in '98. The housing stock it replaced was pretty bad found what I understand, although I never saw it then.

Seven years later, the houses still look pretty good and the yards are still maintained. They have expanded it recently and are building additional houses.

Archived