Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

The Best Overall Restaurant for 2021 has been tallied in Scott J’s Foodster Awards and, unsurprisingly, the Tap Room at Dubsdread is once again the winner.

I say unsurprising because, more than anyplace in town, this is where Orlando’s Establishment likes to eat.

It’s located in one of Orlando’s leafiest neighborhoods, has a traditional setting on the city’s municipal golf course (I especially like sitting outside on the porch surrounded by oak trees that are decades if not centuries old - the developers can’t touch them here).

It’s beefy and while not the top shelf example of what Orlando’s chefs can do these days, they certainly do their comfort food well in a very comfortable atmosphere. You can bring the kids (in fact, the bus staff is quite likely to be from Edgewater, Bishop Moore or even LHPS and waiting to head off to college). What’s not to like?

Because of the extensive meeting and catering facilities, you probably know someone who had their wedding reception or bar/bas mitzvah here.

Just like in Ronnie’s heyday, you’re likely to see one or more of Orlando’s movers and shakers when you visit.

The pricing is moderate. In fact it’s basically become Orlando’s country club over the years but without the attitude and everyone’s welcome. If Ward and June had lived in Orlando, they would have dined here with Wally and The Beav in tow. The Huxtables would have been here,too.

Not a bad recipe for continued success.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5913-2021-best-restaurant-overall

Edited by spenser1058

And then there were two little piggies… Bubbalou’s Bodacious Barbecue in Apopka is no more, following the demise of the original WP location:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/os-et-apopka-bubbalous-bodacious-bbq-location-closes-due-to-effects-of-pandemic-20220106-d34wj5t7gva4dcpf5ymaeanivu-story.html

From The Sentinel 

So far, Conroy and Altamonte are hanging in there.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:38 AM, smileguy said:

Dharma Southern Kitchen (fka Dixie Dharma) wants to open more locations of their vegan southern concept, and is looking for crowdfunded investors to help!

https://www.startengine.com/dharmasouthernkitchen

hahaha holy crap $35 mill valuation is just crazy for a company that made 100k last year and is in food service. That said that would be amazing if they raised at that price. Would help us all out here if they can reset the market for valuations.

Edited by popsiclebrandon
jjj
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Times They are a-Changin...

Local bar/club, Barbarella (aka Independent Bar), has announced they are leaving the downtown location they have occupied for 3 decades. If you never saw Gen and the Genitorturers there you may not have lived a complete life.

From OW, "With Barbarella moving, Stonewall closing and Soundbar having been forced out of its Pine Street location all within the space of two months, we are seeing a sea change in downtown Orlando nightlife."

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2022/01/31/nightclub-barbarella-to-move-out-of-downtown-orlando-in-february

This has been rumored for quite some time. The new location has not been announced, but they say it will be a scant 13 minutes away.

16 hours ago, AmIReal said:

The Times They are a-Changin...

Local bar/club, Barbarella (aka Independent Bar), has announced they are leaving the downtown location they have occupied for 3 decades. If you never saw Gen and the Genitorturers there you may not have lived a complete life.

From OW, "With Barbarella moving, Stonewall closing and Soundbar having been forced out of its Pine Street location all within the space of two months, we are seeing a sea change in downtown Orlando nightlife."

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2022/01/31/nightclub-barbarella-to-move-out-of-downtown-orlando-in-february

This has been rumored for quite some time. The new location has not been announced, but they say it will be a scant 13 minutes away.

@jgardnerucfgive us a hint!

Fuddruckers is the latest burgermeister to leave town:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-orlando-fuddruckers-closes-20220207-tmv6v7nszfa5tlnuyqoz74ys54-story.html

From The Sentinel     

My first Fudd was in the late ‘80’s at Interstate Mall in Altamonte. My second was on a first date with a handsome fellow who became a boyfriend and more in 1991 in Birmingham. I confess I haven’t Fudded since then and it looks like I might not get another chance. And so it goes…

Edited by spenser1058

15 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Anyone try AVA on Park? Seen some mixed reviews and at that price point figure need to give them 6 months to figure it out if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

It is really, really good, but I'd wait until March to go back. A few minor kinks to work out, but overall it will be a nice addition.

• 2 weeks later...

FD Cantina in the old Jax/CityFish space is open.  They did a nice job renovating the place.  The food was presented well.  Appropriately priced for downtown.  Solid option before a night out, especially once they start Taco Tuesday/Happy Hour/Brunch.  I'll probably stay with La Fiesta as my go to though

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 4:53 PM, AndyPok1 said:

FD Cantina in the old Jax/CityFish space is open.  They did a nice job renovating the place.  The food was presented well.  Appropriately priced for downtown.  Solid option before a night out, especially once they start Taco Tuesday/Happy Hour/Brunch.  I'll probably stay with La Fiesta as my go to though

I was impressed with the buildout, although it is really dark. I was glad to see they put some money in the place instead of just throwing some paint on the walls.

They have another concept in Lake Mary, F&D Kitchen, that I'd like to see somewhere in SoDo.  https://www.fdkitchenbar.com/

I'm not sure, but I think I read when F&D in hourglass makes their move they will change the concept to a larger menu- still including pizza and Italian. They may be their plan to bring the F&D Kitchen concept downtown.

Hey @AndyPok1, "The Downtown Pourhouse at 20 S. Orange Ave. in Orlando was shut down on Feb. 14 after inspectors found five health violations, including two labeled high priority.

Inspectors found a live rodent in a rack holding syrup boxes, from whence it ran into a wash area in the adjacent Dapper Duck kitchen. Inspectors also found live roaches on a rubber mat behind the wash sink in the Dapper Duck kitchen."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/restaurant-inspections/os-bz-restaurant-health-inspection-update-feb-21-20220222-k5xtzl2es5egfnbdfqnyejtdoa-htmlstory.html

The Strand in Orlando is 2022 Orlando Sentinel Foodie Awards’ Restaurant of the Year- https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/foodie-awards/os-et-the-strand-restaurant-of-the-year-2022-foodie-awards-20220225-sehgkkdksbbczhh46qv5fg65ri-story.html

Well deserved. They really are everything a restaurant should strive to be, minus a full bar. Which I am told is coming soon.

In other news, Orlando's Se7enbites wins 'Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives' event at South Beach Wine and Food Festival. Trina has appeared on all of the Fieri various shows. It must be the hair. https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/orlandos-se7enbites-wins-diners-drive-ins-and-dives-event-at-south-beach-wine-and-food-festival/Content?oid=31072953

And the biggest news is 4 locals have been nominated for semi-finalists for the James Beard awards.     Evette Rahman of Sister Honey’s for Outstanding Baker (remember she also won the World Baking Championship recently for, I believe, the 4th time); Henry Moso of Kabooki Sushi for Best Chef: South; Rabii Saber of Four Seasons Resort Orlando for Outstanding Pastry Chef and Jason and Sue Chin of Good Salt Restaurant Group for Outstanding Restaurateur.

https://bungalower.com/2022/02/23/james-beard-awards-recognize-local-restaurateurs/

https://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/the-2022-james-beard-award-semfinalists

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 2:07 PM, AmIReal said:

Hey @AndyPok1, "The Downtown Pourhouse at 20 S. Orange Ave. in Orlando was shut down on Feb. 14 after inspectors found five health violations, including two labeled high priority.

Inspectors found a live rodent in a rack holding syrup boxes, from whence it ran into a wash area in the adjacent Dapper Duck kitchen. Inspectors also found live roaches on a rubber mat behind the wash sink in the Dapper Duck kitchen."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/food-restaurants/restaurant-inspections/os-bz-restaurant-health-inspection-update-feb-21-20220222-k5xtzl2es5egfnbdfqnyejtdoa-htmlstory.html

Yeah I haven't eaten there since Grilled Cheezus took over the kitchen.  Sad too because I loved Dapper's menu and Pourhouse was a great place to get some snacks during a sporting event.

I hate to say it and make it even harder to get a pizza, but Brad's Underground in the ghost kitchen @ Curry Ford/Conway is really good.  I prefer their normal pizza, but we tried the double decker pizza last weekend and it was much better than anticipated.  It won't be something we often order, but it was a nice surprise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I hate to say it and make it even harder to get a pizza, but Brad's Underground in the ghost kitchen @ Curry Ford/Conway is really good.  I prefer their normal pizza, but we tried the double decker pizza last weekend and it was much better than anticipated.  It won't be something we often order, but it was a nice surprise.

I agree. I'm glad he got away from that stupid pre order and get it when you get it concept.

Not sure what style you like, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the pizza at Frenchy's inside Gatlin Food Hall. The wings are also good- made in the pizza oven. Another plus, what I've tried at the brewery I've been pleased with, and they have a full bar (no hipsters in sight).

Buttercrust also does a good job. I prefer the thinner one.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 5:09 PM, AmIReal said:

I agree. I'm glad he got away from that stupid pre order and get it when you get it concept.

Not sure what style you like, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the pizza at Frenchy's inside Gatlin Food Hall. The wings are also good- made in the pizza oven. Another plus, what I've tried at the brewery I've been pleased with, and they have a full bar (no hipsters in sight).

Buttercrust also does a good job. I prefer the thinner one.

Thanks, we'll try that.  

Buttercrust, I love the concept and I loved the service, but the actual pizza just isn't my style at all.  It's just too much of everything.  

20 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Thai Farm House place that just opened in College Park is really damn good. Need to see their full menu and try a few more things but its possibly going to pass SEA Thai for me.

We did have some real asshole guys tell the owner to go back to where he came from while we were there so that was lovely.

Ugh.  People can suck sometimes.  I'll happily check out the food, though.  My wife raves about SEA Thai as a hidden gem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 11:00 AM, popsiclebrandon said:

Thai Farm House place that just opened in College Park is really damn good. Need to see their full menu and try a few more things but its possibly going to pass SEA Thai for me.

We did have some real asshole guys tell the owner to go back to where he came from while we were there so that was lovely.

We tried it earlier this week and didn't have the same experience as you. The red curry was delicious, but everything else was a miss- from flavor, to texture, to service. Might have been an off night and will definitely try them again, but I feel they have a long ways to go to catch SEA.

Over in your neighborhood- do you know what is behind the Trevi Pasta name change?

38 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

We tried it earlier this week and didn't have the same experience as you. The red curry was delicious, but everything else was a miss- from flavor, to texture, to service. Might have been an off night and will definitely try them again, but I feel they have a long ways to go to catch SEA.

Over in your neighborhood- do you know what is behind the Trevi Pasta name change?

Well that sucks.

From what I can tell its the chef's name. Its a huge downgrade in name and branding. I don't get it.

2 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

From what I can tell its the chef's name. Its a huge downgrade in name and branding. I don't get it.

So same owners I guess... I wonder if Italy called them on it.

Also in your hood- try Duck and Drake camped out at Digress- if you haven't already. They do a really nice job (imo).