Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Fifi's Patisserie is open, maybe there will be more foot traffic in the area. Passed by Beacon today, and it looked so lonely and desolate - all the menus sitting on top of tables with nobody there. That orange patio furniture is horrid. It has got to go.

Fifi's on the other hand is very chic and inviting. My friend and I were there today.... highlights: French onion soup with gruyere crouton, butternut squash ravioli with frizzled sage.... and the host kept sending over tastes of dessert from the pastry case. The chocolate-pistachio truffles are to die for.

Still, it's so oddly quiet over there. With 101 Eola under construction right across the street, we couldn't help thinking that a year from now, it's going to be a zoo before long.

Edited by pomegranate

Now that Fifi's Patisserie is open, maybe there will be more foot traffic in the area. Passed by Beacon today, and it looked so lonely and desolate - all the menus sitting on top of tables with nobody there. That orange patio furniture is horrid. It has got to go.

Fifi's on the other hand is very chic and inviting. My friend and I were there today.... highlights: French onion soup with gruyere crouton, butternut squash ravioli with frizzled sage.... and the host kept sending over tastes of dessert from the pastry case. The chocolate-pistachio truffles are to die for.

Still, it's so oddly quiet over there. With 101 Eola under construction right across the street, we couldn't help thinking that a year from now, it's going to be a zoo before long.

yes-- it will be a zoo of foot traffic--- it will be awesome; both sides of the street packed with eateries;

yes-- it will be a zoo of foot traffic--- it will be awesome; both sides of the street packed with eateries;

It seems that 90% of all the restaurant/retail going into the new downtown developments is restaurants. According to your theory that once the current slew of projects are complete, I am hoping that another wave of development will at least have a 50/50 mix of retail and restaurants. This does seem like a long time to wait (5-10 more years), but cities don't just happen overnight. I just know that some retail needs to happen and it doesn't appear to be during this wave of development.

It seems that 90% of all the restaurant/retail going into the new downtown developments is restaurants. According to your theory that once the current slew of projects are complete, I am hoping that another wave of development will at least have a 50/50 mix of retail and restaurants. This does seem like a long time to wait (5-10 more years), but cities don't just happen overnight. I just know that some retail needs to happen and it doesn't appear to be during this wave of development.

maybe new restaurant traffic will attract more retail proposals... once they see the foot traffic increase b/c of eateries and residences, they'll take the risk and build.

And I wonder, since so many of these areas have yet to have the foot traffic needed to support these eateries how long they can hold on for. A prime example is KRES -- way back when they opened they were banking of 55w which is still not anywhere near being done. While the Sanctuary is "done" it's only about 40% occupied. I'm thinking 101 will help out as it's a little cheaper and will most likely consist of younger types who will not use it as a second home / investment. Or so I hope! :)

BTW -- does anyone realize we STILL do not have a liquor store downtown? Anyone who wants to make a mint should look into that venture.

THAT's what could go on the street level at 330 E. Central. One less variance to apply for, right next to Publix, and a money maker for the City; collecting fines from the people who can't resist taking a bottle to drink while sitting on Lake Eola.

Almost TOO perfect.

Integrate a delivery service in there and you would become a very wealthy man.

From Orlando Sentinel

Another link in the chain

Yet another casual-dining chain is on its way. Southern California-based BJ's Restaurant & Brewery, which serves up Chicago-style pizza and brews, has posted a sign across the road from the Mall at Millenia announcing its impending arrival. The restaurant has been posting help-wanted ads on the craigslist Web site.

From Orlando Sentinel

Another link in the chain

Yet another casual-dining chain is on its way. Southern California-based BJ's Restaurant & Brewery, which serves up Chicago-style pizza and brews, has posted a sign across the road from the Mall at Millenia announcing its impending arrival. The restaurant has been posting help-wanted ads on the craigslist Web site.

my sister LOVES this place. coincidentally she also grew up in orlando with me and now lives out here in LA as well. i'm more of a NY style pizza guy, but didn't hate it. their deserts are pretty fantastic. their beer didn't necessarily stand out, but it wasn't piss water either. overall, i'd recommend it. especially if you're tired of Uno's. :good:

Ended up downtown of all places. The Clubhouse (used to be Maui Jack's) has the NFL Ticket. And yes, the Cowboys won!!! Wings were good, but the beer prices are a bit high.

Props to Kodsi on Fifi's. The service end of Fifi's needs to be improved, but that is usually the case during the first 3 months of any restaurant opening. I have gone in just for pastries and most of them are priced at 1.25 or 2.50. I am addicted already.

Can't wait to see what Graze has in store.

I was just about to mention Fifi's on here. One of the servers, a trainer none the less is just... "aight." However, ask for Justin, he's very good. The food is great and so is their beer selection. If you've not tried "Beelzebuth" before, I highly recommend it. It's a 13% ABV blonde ale that's great. Sadly they only have left of what they ordered and will not continue... unless more people like me ask for it. So if you're there and want a good time, ask for Beelzebuth!

• 3 weeks later...