Broderick Tower Update

haydenth

"I sense how some people feel about me. Who would want those things said about them?" said Higgins, now 57, as he stood in one of his empty buildings, the Albert Kahn-designed David Broderick Tower near the resurgent Grand Circus Park. (Wayne County is also suing him to repair the Broderick, which he has shown progress in fixing.)

:lol:

Does this guy have another job? Where does he get the money to pay all of the taxes if his buildings are vacant?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be embarrassed and ashamed if I was him and was taking reporters through the Broderick Tower. Its a sad sight and one that I wouldnt neccessarily want to show the world since its deterioration is mostly his fault. Hopefully he follows through then keeps the place up, its an amazing structure.

Albert Kahn sure got around, huh? Apparently to the media he designed every building in Detroit.

I can't say I pity or sympathize with Higgins, at all. Sorry. No one forced him to buy these buildings, and no one if forcing him to keep them.

I agree. I wouldn't bite off more than I could chew, and if I found myself with more than I could handle, I'd sell the "safest" (most likely not to be a parking lot a year after it's sold) and I'd use the money to try to fix up what I can. I'm sure the tax money he pays on all of the buildings a year is enough to rennovate one of them alone.

All of the buildings are a pretty good size too. I don't understand what his strategy is.

• 4 weeks later...

There are a few specific things that need certain temperatures (i.e. pouring concrete), but most types of construction work can be done year-round. The only real problem with construction work in wintertime is that the workers tend to work more slowly than in warmer weather.

• 1 month later...

I must have some really good timing. I happened to be downtown today and as I walked past the building two people were in the restaurant one who had an hardhat from JC Beal as another guy entered the building through the main door.

According to Broderick's website JC Beal is the construction manager, if they were let go why did I see their people still around the building?

The broderick tower website has not been update in nearly a year now. JC Beal could not be the CM because HUD requires that a Investor cannot also be the Contractor or CM. JC Beal is officially the Owner's Rep. White Construction was let go as the CM and may rebid as a General Contractor. Bids are due in mid Nov, so we should see some movement after that.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

• 6 months later...

Broderick is moving, just not very fast. They have had some setbacks, which they are working hard to overcome.

The Whitney Building is having facade work done, since the facade started to collapse (hence the barricades along Woodward).

Broderick is moving, just not very fast. They have had some setbacks, which they are working hard to overcome.

The Whitney Building is having facade work done, since the facade started to collapse (hence the barricades along Woodward).

I took a great deal of vandalism on the inside for them to finally put a security officer back on the property. The before and after pics would make you cry.

I'm glad they are finally doing something to fix it up. I'm really hoping we hear some sort of renovation announcement by 2008

The developers are currently considering going condo from the start as opposed to apartments with HUD financing...so they are basically going through all them math, legality, and feasibility of that decision. Its such a big project that it will likely take time. That being said I am hoping it will begin construction before next summer...it appears that the building has seen more graffiti and damage in the last year than it has in a while.

• 4 months later...

Archived