Pictures of Fayetteville

The camera's gathering dust right now, I've been to busy or lazy to fix it.

A friend e-mailed it to me today saying he found this picture.

Okay well thanks for posting it anyway. If you end up looking for a new camera I'll suggest a Canon. That's what I have and it's not anywhere close to their nicest model. But I've been pretty happy with it. I'm wanting to get a nicer Canon early next year.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay well thanks for posting it anyway. If you end up looking for a new camera I'll suggest a Canon. That's what I have and it's not anywhere close to their nicest model. But I've been pretty happy with it. I'm wanting to get a nicer Canon early next year.

What model would you suggest?

What model would you suggest?

I'll have to take another look to remember all the models. Also what dollar range are you looking at? I'd really like to get a digital Rebel. But those aren't too cheap and you can buy seperate lenses which is nice but also not too cheap. If I decide not to go such an expensive route there's another one I like. I don't recall the exact name but it's a 5MP with 11X optical zoom. Watch out for digital zoom it makes you pics look grainy. I've got a Powershot A75. It's just a 3MP and 3X zoom.

The Canon Powershot S2 IS was the other camera I was thinking about 5 megapixels and 11X zoom. If I can't 'justify' spending the money on a digital rebel and some lenses then I'm going for it. But if you're not going to be taking a lot of serious pics then you could get something cheaper by going with a 3MP.

The Canon Powershot S2 IS was the other camera I was thinking about 5 megapixels and 11X zoom. If I can't 'justify' spending the money on a digital rebel and some lenses then I'm going for it. But if you're not going to be taking a lot of serious pics then you could get something cheaper by going with a 3MP.

A 3mP sounds interesting.

I'll look into it more.

A 3mP sounds interesting.

I'll look into it more.

There's also a Powershot A95 that's basically just like the camera I have but it's 5MP instead of 3MP. Looks like that's still over $300 though. By this time 3MP should be getting pretty cheap.

I know I've been posting pics faster than people can comment on them. But I was curious to know what people think of about the Mill District. Does anyone like what they're doing or is it crazy to try to preserve the look of these mills?

It's kind of cool, but I think more of a downtown approach would be better on the mills.

It's kind of cool, but I think more of a downtown approach would be better on the mills.

I wasn't real crazy about the idea when I first saw it but the more I think about it the more I do like it. Unless they are going to redo the whole area it would look somewhat odd to have one nice looking building among all the mills. Granted some of them are unused but there are some that are still in use. It is a bit of an odd look for Fayetteville but you have to say it is an interesting idea at least.

I wasn't real crazy about the idea when I first saw it but the more I think about it the more I do like it. Unless they are going to redo the whole area it would look somewhat odd to have one nice looking building among all the mills. Granted some of them are unused but there are some that are still in use. It is a bit of an odd look for Fayetteville but you have to say it is an interesting idea at least.

Is it near downtown or the square?

Is it near downtown or the square?

Not exactly, I guess it depends on your exact definition of downtown area, but it's more south. It could be considered the very southern edge of downtown but I'm not sure I'd classify it as that. Most of the more industrial part of the city is in the south and most of it is away from major roads so most people who travel here don't usually see it. Although the Mill District is an exception to this and it is along a major road around the southern part of town. If you ever get to looking on a map of Fayetteville, the restored mill is just on the north side of 6th St. But quite a bit of the district lies to the south of 6th.

On another note looks like I got lucky this weekend on the pics. The leaves aren't looking too great and it's just two days since I took some of those pics.

Well, guess what. More pics! But to the relief of some there's not a huge deluge of pics. I had forgotten to buy new batteries so I didn't go for too many. Besides it was more of a test run for me to get a better idea of some pics I'd like to try for the near future. So think of these as tests, all taken literally about 15-20 minutes ago. All basically near Dickson and West Ave intersection.

img40395ax.jpg

img40386dr.jpg

img40360ei.jpg

img40356nv.jpg

img40345wr.jpg

img40339ry.jpg

img40325da.jpg

img40302zj.jpg

Those are beautiful!!!

The one's with the carlights are amazing, they remind me of the big city-life.

Thanks, and I'm wanting to try and take some night pics this weekend when there's more activity around. There were times I had to wait for a little bit before traffic picked up some.

The night pics are now my favorite!!!

I may try to find another location to take some night pics too. I though maybe around the mall area, like College and Joyce would be an interesting place because there's quite a bit of traffic over there. If I can find a good place to stop and pull over maybe somewhere along I-540 could be interesting too.

No guarantees, but I am going to try for some sunset pics from Mt Sequoyah shortly. I've missed out on a couple of really nice sunsets this week. By the time I notice it's too late for me to drive over there to try to get some nice shots. Unfortunately where I live doesn't give me very good views to the west. I think I may also try out some more night pics tonight or possibly tomorrow night around Dickson during it's busier period.

Well I was a bit disappointed. The sunset wasn't anywhere as nice as it was earlier in the week. Maybe all that haze and humidity in the air when it was warmer also made nicer sunsets. I was also a bit diappointed in my pics along Dickson. I thought things would be better with more traffic but there was also a lot more pedestrian traffic that would slow down the vehicle traffic so I couldn't get the 'streaking' effect I wanted very well. But anyway I'll start off with a sunset pic and a couple around the university parking deck and then move on to Dickson St. Some of them may be repeated but on some I wanted to compare 'streaks' between headlights and tailights in some.

img40622ew.jpg

img40779ch.jpg

img40792vb.jpg

img40855ky.jpg

img41048fj.jpg

img40968jp.jpg

img41201tl.jpg

img41253zb.jpg

img41268lf.jpg

img41278ug.jpg

img41293zq.jpg

img41321fj.jpg

Okay the group of pics move over to the Old Courthouse and Square area. Some of them may seem odd things to take pics of. Some of them I just liked the way they looked, including a couple of b&w that I thought had an interesting look to them. I had a hard time getting one with the moon and the old courthouse, the moon being too bright and the old courthouse being too dark. The one of the city lights from a distance is from the top of the Fayetteville Town Center parking deck.

img41456cf.jpg

img41546az.jpg

img41577ma.jpg

img41652mo.jpg

img41702rt.jpg

img41802bc.jpg

img41859jp.jpg

img41870yu.jpg

img41905qa.jpg

img41939cj.jpg

img42128ki.jpg

img42168cw.jpg

Okay just another group of pics from along Dickson St.

img42247tn.jpg

img42256yj.jpg

img42391zv.jpg

img42399oh.jpg

img42416oe.jpg

img42506iy.jpg

img42594rx.jpg

Okay time for some more night pics. I tried taking some pics in other areas. Didn't have as much luck as I'd hope. In some busy areas like College Ave there was too much light to leave the shutter open long to get the streaking effect I like. I also had to take so many pics just to get a few that were okay. It seemed everytime I found a place with a good view there was also a lot of headlights shining right into my camera making it hard to get any pics to come out. The first two are near the intersection of North and Gregg looking west on North St. In the first you can still just make out the sunset.

img42682bg.jpg

img42698cy.jpg

The next two are on College Ave between North and Evelyn Hills looking north. You can see a lot of lights in the background from northern Fayetteville and even Springdale.

img42823ll.jpg

img42830hm.jpg

Here's a couple from Gregg St. The first is looking north in a bit of a valley. The second is looking to the southwest, you can make out some of the dorms on the university campus in the distance.

img42950bb.jpg

img42987ki.jpg

Okay now two more near the intersection of North and Gregg, once again looking west on North St.

img43022zr.jpg

img43063gh.jpg

The last two are something I came across on the side of an apartment building. It will probably be of most interest to people in Arkansas.

img43127up.jpg

img43228ck.jpg

Archived