Pictures of Fayetteville

I love cities like this.

This is one of my favorite aspects of Stockholm, Sweden. The entire city sits on hills and valleys.

Yeah I certainly love the hills up here. After spending most of my life on the flat Mississippi Aluvial Plain the Ozarks were a nice change. :D

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I can imagine.

Most of the terrain down here is soft, swampy, marsh. Not around Covington, but 50 miles to the south and your in swamp.

Yeah even in Pine Bluff where I used to live there are swamps. I don't think it's quite the same compared to where you live but they are there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Nate and Matt both seemed to like the pic I posted a little earlier in the topic of the downtown area from the edge of the university area so I tried taking a few more pics over there this morning while I was out. Although I think I tried taking them a little too early in the morning.

img5922s1wq.jpg

img5923s6gh.jpg

Do you think they are going to keep the Razorback pole there, or take it down in a few days?

Good Pics, I was wondering what it looked like, since I only heard about it in the paper a few weeks ago.

I'm sure it will come down with the rest of the holiday decorations. I'm sure they'll just keep adding a new year on top and reuse it every year.

There was an article in the Northwest Arkansas Times about streets in Fayetteville. I'm not sure if this is the case in every city, I'ce never heard this before. But in Fayetteville just about every east-west road is a 'street' and just about every north-south road is an 'avenue'. I also found out that both Lafayette and Gregg were named for the same person, Lafayette Gregg. I just thought Lafayette was named for the same person that Fayetteville was named for. Although I'd bet that Lafayette Gregg was named for that person. Not sure if I've ever mentioned this but Fayetteville was originally named Washington. But there was already a Washington in southwest Arkansas so they had to change their name. The later town is now the Old Washington State Park.

There was an article in the Northwest Arkansas Times about streets in Fayetteville. I'm not sure if this is the case in every city, I'ce never heard this before. But in Fayetteville just about every east-west road is a 'street' and just about every north-south road is an 'avenue'. I also found out that both Lafayette and Gregg were named for the same person, Lafayette Gregg. I just thought Lafayette was named for the same person that Fayetteville was named for. Although I'd bet that Lafayette Gregg was named for that person. Not sure if I've ever mentioned this but Fayetteville was originally named Washington. But there was already a Washington in southwest Arkansas so they had to change their name. The later town is now the Old Washington State Park.

I know you all are getting tired of hearing about St. Petersburg, Florida but all the east-west roads there are avenues and all the north-south roads are streets. I believe Rogers uses the same street system as St. Pete too. The main problem with most roads in NWA is that many of them are actually state highways and city street systems don't really apply well.

As for Fayetteville, I wish they would have named it something else as most people that don't live here tend to think Fayetteville is in North Carolina... which it is. But Fayetteville, NC just seems to be more popular.

I know you all are getting tired of hearing about St. Petersburg, Florida but all the east-west roads there are avenues and all the north-south roads are streets. I believe Rogers uses the same street system as St. Pete too. The main problem with most roads in NWA is that many of them are actually state highways and city street systems don't really apply well.

As for Fayetteville, I wish they would have named it something else as most people that don't live here tend to think Fayetteville is in North Carolina... which it is. But Fayetteville, NC just seems to be more popular.

The NC location has always been the larger location but I think our city might have finally passed it up or getting close.

Just thought I'd post a couple more pics in this topic. The first is looking eastward down Dickson St from the U of A campus. The second is from the lawn in front of Old Main on campus also. Matt and Nate seem to like some of my pics from this vantage point so I thought I'd try again with my new camera and with more zoom.

img0038s8ka.jpg

img0154s1cu.jpg

Yeah I know Matt and Nate really have really liked the shots I've taken from this area. Even though there's a little optical illusion as well because of the terrain. I guess I should go back and try out a number of different shots and play with the better zoom a little too.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like there's a good chance of rain this weekend so I thought I might try to at least take a few pics when I got off work in case I don't get a chance this weekend. I'll post a few here as I try to decide whether or not to have a seperate topic for these pics.

91893680_df12d21955_o.jpg

91892647_f34efcb516_o.jpg

91892649_c7c89ec806_o.jpg

Just one more thing I'd like to add about Mt Sequoyah. I really wish they'd put a small tower over there by the cross. About the only time you get to see much of the city is when all the leaves are gone for winter. It would be a nice place for some sightseeing. It doesn't even have to be anything big or fancy. Of course that would increase traffic and I think we all know how that would go over with the residents. :rolleyes:

Archived