Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Everyone listen up.

I have been informed that members from other forums in this state are complaining about the occasional city-superiority debate. Some are very sensitive to negativity and we all should recognize that. In the future, we need to keep the statewide discussions on a professional level. I am as guilty of making biased comments as anyone, and I sincerely apologize for that. I love Greenville more than any other place on the Earth, and don't wish to tarnish the city's image in any way. We should be more supportive of the state of SC as a whole, while continuing to discuss Greenville's topics in the Greenville forum. That's all for now, and I thank each of you for your awesome contributions! :thumbsup:

Everyone listen up.

I have been informed that members from other forums in this state are complaining about the occasional city-superiority debate. Some are very sensitive to negativity and we all should recognize that. In the future, we need to keep the statewide discussions on a professional level. I am as guilty of making biased comments as anyone, and I sincerely apologize for that. I love Greenville more than any other place on the Earth, and don't wish to tarnish the city's image in any way. We should be more supportive of the state of SC as a whole, while continuing to discuss Greenville's topics in the Greenville forum. That's all for now, and I thank each of you for your awesome contributions! :thumbsup:

Thanks Skyliner. Can you give us examples from the statewide discussion board? Additionally, maybe that board should be monitored for the "vs", "best", etc kind of post. One that comes to mind....The Real Economic Engine, which was started by a non Greenville board poster.

Thanks!

Everyone listen up.

Thanks, Skyliner! I trust this message is going out to all of the boards state-wide and not just to the Upstate or Greenville?

Pretty much any and all threads in the SC forum which relate to the "big 3" have turned sour in some members' eyes. We end up in an endless cycle of slugging one another and it often comes off heavily in favor of Greenville because we have so many excited members making posts in favor of our city. There are, however, occasions when these discussions/debates/arguments between SC members become rather immature because of the extreme bias some/many members have shown in such discussions.

Another possible case of intrastate skirmishes has been in the Columbia forum. I have been posting fairly often in the recent days, as it seemed necessary to answer one or two questionable references and contribute to the forum, which has been considerably slower than the Upstate lately. There is actually a thread setup for the purpose of stating what members dislike about Columbia, in which posts by non-Columbian members were expectably taken to be bashing the city. Needless to say, a few unprofessional words were spoken - of which I must accept partial blame.

In general, if we make posts in the SC forum which simply show our pride without evidence, we contribute to the dissention among SC members. From now on everyone - myself included - needs to think before posting a reply to any comment in the SC forum. Be professional and considerate of others. We probably won't be able to change the mind of any reader, but we can certainly show the World we are educated and proactive in our professionalism. :thumbsup:

We end up in an endless cycle of slugging one another and it often comes off heavily in favor of Greenville because we have so many excited members making posts in favor of our city. There are, however, occasions when these discussions/debates/arguments between SC members become rather immature because of the extreme bias some/many members have shown in such discussions.

In general, if we make posts in the SC forum which simply show our pride without evidence, we contribute to the dissention among SC members. From now on everyone - myself included - needs to think before posting a reply to any comment in the SC forum. Be professional and considerate of others. We probably won't be able to change the mind of any reader, but we can certainly show the World we are educated and proactive in our professionalism. :thumbsup:

There are times when it seems like Greenvillians are shoving the success of their city in everyone else's face. Its because Greenville has so many wonderful projects going on, and there is much to brag about. This is not a major problem at all. There does seem to be a slight bias against other cities in their own forums, which can be annoying to them. I asked Skyliner to mention this to you guys because I think that it could potentially lead to larger problem later down the road. But like I said, its not a major issue. Just think about things like not posting Greenville's developments in Columbia or Charleston's section if its not really relevant.

Nobody runs the risk of being punished or anything. Just think about being considerate forumers :) The key advantage that SC has is that all of our cities work together pretty well. I want to avoid casuing some sort of polarization amongst our forum. Thats all. Don't stop posting anywhere or change your habits. That is not necessary. Just think about it next time you post. You would probably be irritated too if every time someone posted in your section it was in reference to their city and what it is doing better.

And some of us do need to grow some thicker skin. There is nothign wrong with constructive crticism.

I've asked how these are weighted and what timeframe the weightings are calculated over. It'd be interesting to learn the details! :thumbsup:

Its based on key words which are decided by Neo. My understanding of the discussion cloud is that it takes the most recent 300 posts forumwide and creates sizes based on the frequency of those posts.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I was wondering several things abou the Greenville area.

1. What will become of the Greenville Municipal Stadium? Seems the facility and the land around it would make a tremendous park.

2. Is the northern Italian styled building that was advertised to be built where GQ fashions were and the Greenville Drive store is now still going to be built? I've long thought that Greenville need some type of signature building to make up its town "square.

thanks.

Ah, so my "Olly Olly Oxen Free" did work. :rofl:

Welcome to Urban Planet, whitehourseview! Thanks for speaking up with what I hope is the very first of many more posts to come! :lol:

The city has several options for the Greenville Municipal Stadium, from what I've heard, including selling the property; however, I don't believe they've decided just yet what to do with it.

As far as I know, that entire corner of South Main/Washington is going to be redeveloped, including this building to which you are referring. I've not heard anything to the contrary. The only hold-up at the moment is the piazza itself, I believe? Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Ah, so my "Olly Olly Oxen Free" did work. :rofl:

Welcome to Urban Planet, whitehourseview! Thanks for speaking up with what I hope is the very first of many more posts to come! :lol:

The city has several options for the Greenville Municipal Stadium, from what I've heard, including selling the property; however, I don't believe they've decided just yet what to do with it.

As far as I know, that entire corner of South Main/Washington is going to be redeveloped, including this building to which you are referring. I've not heard anything to the contrary. The only hold-up at the moment is the piazza itself, I believe? Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks Traveler, I am the guy that started the Greenville group on Flickr, FWIW.

Thanks Traveler, I am the guy that started the Greenville group on Flickr, FWIW.

Hey! Very cool! Thanks for joining the fray! I definitely got the sense from your photos that you may be interested in some of the same things we're into discussing here at UrbanPlanet. Are you still in Grad School in Charlotte or have you returned to Greenville?

Edited by RestedTraveler

As I'm sure you guys know, county population estimates were released today by the US Census Bureau. Using the current MSA formulation which includes Greenville, Laurens, and Pickens counties, the 2005 Greenville MSA population comes to 591,251, which is roughly an 11,000 increase from the 2004 population. This also technically makes the Greenville MSA the third largest in the state, Charleston having eclipsed it by about 4,000. This is assuming, of course, that no other counties have been added to or subtracted from either MSA.

As I'm sure you guys know, county population estimates were released today by the US Census Bureau. Using the current MSA formulation which includes Greenville, Laurens, and Pickens counties, the 2005 Greenville MSA population comes to 591,251, which is roughly an 11,000 increase from the 2004 population. This also technically makes the Greenville MSA the third largest in the state, Charleston having eclipsed it by about 4,000. This is assuming, of course, that no other counties have been added to or subtracted from either MSA.

^ Curious, whats the Greenville CSA population?