Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

Wouldn't this be considered SouthEnd?

DCDA would crucify you for such blasphemy.....to Voyagers point, this level of continuous density may make it more in-line with South End, but this parcel is within the city recognized Historic District portion of Dilworth.

• 3 weeks later...

I read something interesting in the online version of The Dilworth Quarterly yesterday. There is an upcoming proposal for a hotel near East&South. To wit: five story 76 room hotel to the right of the McColl gallery where LoobyLoo's used to be, the site currently houses The Christian Scientist Reading Room and a lighting store. The developer owns one of the buildings and has his offices there. DQ also mentions a "turret" is involved with sarcasm. Actually, this entire edition was full of the usual "the city hates Dilworth, and they trying to destroy our paradise fight fight fight" I agree with some of the DCDA's decisions but their hostile stance is getting old. Lick the wounds and heal already! I like the idea of a nice hotel in that area, it's a good fit with the surrounding shops, restaurants and East/West Station. The current buildings there are considered historic and I think they add a lot of character to that stretch of East. I hope they can be incorporated somehow if this project moves forward. Also, HT is angling to buy the empty land abutting their store along Kenilworth. It was the site of the "kenilworth" but it fell through. They want to use it for extra employee parking. Makes sense to me. That lot is a congested pain.

Not really sure I understand your hostility towards DCDA - unless it's simply a hobby to stand on the sidelines and comment rather than rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty. I'm new to UP, but not new to libel and slander. If that's what this thread is really all about, you won't see any credible discussions on future posts. This could be a very powerful and perhaps valuable forum for the community. But if personal vendettas superceed well thought out dialogue, we can kiss this outlet goodbye. That said - I'll just encourage you to get involved with the projects in the community - the real community, not the virtual community. You seem to make some very good observations and might offer great insight into the develoment of future projects. Dilworth has changed immensly in the past 5 years - as have the people who are leading it into the next 5. I'm glad you agree with some DCDA decisions, and I hope you will become more actively involved day to day. Each project brings its own set of intricacies. It's okay to disagree, as long as you're standing there putting forth the effort with the common goal of achieving the very highest and best use.

For the facts - Catellus had a public hearing last night in front of the DCDA Land Use Committee. They're working with HDC to comply with their fenestration guidelines. In fact, because of the "fight, fight, fight" message, these guys have agreed that wood siding and windows are probably the best direction to go (and gain support) for their project. Obviously materials aren't the only issue - scale, massing, and the loss of two more contributing structures within the historic district are not to be overlooked. The full board hasn't heard the project yet, but the Land Use group I heard last night had no problem with the overall use. A hotel, done appropriately, could be a great benefit / addition to the neighborhood. I hope this project will receive support from the community.

Last thought - TreHouse is well within Dilworth and clearly inside the border of the Historic District of the neighborhood. In fact, Dilworth used to be marked by the train tracks as it's westen border. How things have changed.

^Libel and slander? Really? Someone expressing their opinion that the DCDA is always opposing things and a post with a mix of positive and negative is slander? That's awfully dramatic. You'll find the person you've seemingly gotten so angry towards to be on the side of protecting Dilworth and quite against much of the proposed developments, gentrifiction, and change.

I lived in Dilworth for 10 years and agree with you about the many changes that have come, both positive and negative. I tired of the position of many in the community and within the DCDA of simply opposing any and everything. I personally believe this is what has led to many within the city and city council no longer listening very much -- they already know, righly or wrongly, that whatever is proposed will first be met with a fight. The epitomy of the problem, for me, started with the heated opposition to the Southaus project on the corner of Ideal Way and South Blvd. That really isn't Dilworth, it replaced a junk-yard, tow yard, transmission shop, and other unsightly properties. With all the McMansions going up in the area the scale of that project would quickly blend in more that the cries claimed it would. Yet Dilworthonians are strangely silent about the McMansions.

Add to that Dilworth fighting The Arlington (The Pink Building). I remember the rally cry of how this would 'overshadow' everyones homes. Please, it is on a major busy thoroughfare and across from Dilworth.

I personally DON'T like much of what is and has been proposed in Dilworth over the years, but that doesn't mean that I agree that everything should be fought first and considered later.

As for the border of Dilworth once going to the railroad tracks, it also used to end at the creek behind Tremont Avenue, but somehow the whole McDonald Avenue, Magnolia Avenue areas 'became' Dilworth. It goes both ways.

I definitely appreciate what the DCDA and the Historic Commission have done to protect the neighborhood, but the fact is this once suburban neighborhood is now very urban, within a mile of a dense center city core, and won't remain a picture in time. I'm glad to see many feel a hotel will be a good addition to the neighborhood with the right materials and consideration for the context of the area. I know in my decade in Dilworth a small local hotel would have been nice to have when friends and family visited and had to stay downtown or in Southpark.

Does any one on the DCDA bored or people that live in Dilworth care about what is happening on Ideal Way and McDonald? There are so many GROSS homes being erected that the place looks like sh*t. Is there no zoning laws stating you can't build over a certain square footage or even try and make the house look a little more like a bungalow instead of a custom designed Lake Norman home?

I've lived in Dilworth for a few years now and live in Wilmore right now. I hope these Mc Mansions stop. They are ruining these wonderful neighborhoods.

Regarding not 4 sure's post, I think you are getting a little bent out of shape over my simple opinions. I am not attacking you or anybody else in Dilworth. Diverse viewpoints can be found all over this neighborhood. I love Dilworth and have for the three years I have been a resident. I go to DCDA meetings and express opinions and listen to other views. I am a renter with less financially invested than the affluent homeowners and I go to more neighborhood meetings than them. My primary concern is preserving the little affordable rentals left in Dilworth, although this is a losing battle as Trehouse illustrates. I know neighborhoods are not static and there is always a new wave around the corner. And to come full circle my apt building in Dilworth is being converted to single family. I could not find anything affordable left in Dilworth. So I am in the final stages of agreeing to a move to Elizabeth next mth for a year until that building probably turns into a condo and I have to move again :scared:

Does any one on the DCDA bored or people that live in Dilworth care about what is happening on Ideal Way and McDonald? There are so many GROSS homes being erected that the place looks like sh*t. Is there no zoning laws stating you can't build over a certain square footage or even try and make the house look a little more like a bungalow instead of a custom designed Lake Norman home?

I've lived in Dilworth for a few years now and live in Wilmore right now. I hope these Mc Mansions stop. They are ruining these wonderful neighborhoods.

I'm sure there's code control over the percentage of the lot a house covers, and most of the mc mansions probably maximize that envelope. Those giant three story homes on Ideal Way look completely ridiculous. Unfortunately, in a couple of years it will be the small bungalows that look ridiculous.

I have to add, though, that I love Cluck Design's house going up on McDonald. It is by far the most interesting house on that street, which is slowly becoming a wasteland of wood-shingled blandness.

I have to add, though, that I love Cluck Design's house going up on McDonald. It is by far the most interesting house on that street, which is slowly becoming a wasteland of wood-shingled blandness.

Is that the really glassy contemporary one? Across from the Greene house? I like them both.

Overall most of what is being built in the area, however, is monstrously out of proportion. Most do appear to just cram the most house into the lot.

Hmmm...I believe the owner died several years ago, and that the family trust might have had some internal dissention about what to do....I think this is the parcel I'm thinking of.......anyway, it was a highly soft after property.....no clue what current plans are, but if I gazed into a crystal ball, I'm seeing 4-8 stories of office space....possibly some streel level retail, and structured parking.

Edit....As far as DCDA goes, I didn't sense any hostility from the original poster, and I've probably said much harsher words myself, but the board shouldn't expect widespread round of applause. Certainly they are to be commended for putting in their time, but that they shouldn't be offended that the general public looks at them as a NIMBY organization, and that city council (and developers) have grown weary of the "NO" rhetoric. Until neighborhood groups are given legal rights beyond passing an opinion, they need to realize that they will best serve the community by negotiating the best possible compromises. Cities and neighborhoods constantly evolve...DCDA can be a good steward of change, or they can cover their eyes and ears and spew rhetoric, but when they uncover their eyes, they may not like what they see.

Well I'm glad to see that everyone has taken a lighter look at the DCDA's track record. The past is the past....but the one thing people have to understand is that change takes time - and often the stance has to be "hell-no" first. Mostly because the process between private developer and neighborhood is adversarial from jump....it's always an act of mediation - so clearly both sides are going to come out with their best (and most off the wall) offer first. Enough of that - here's a piece of information every neighbor interested or concerned about development within Dilworth should read:

Since the DCDA was asked to review and comment on projects within the historical boundaries of the neighborhood, beginning with rezoning 2002-070 ( Kenilworth Commons Site Amendment) and running through the end of 2007-152 ( Longhorn Steak House redevelopment on Morehead)

28 projects have proceeded through the rezoning process

DCDA opposed 6 ( 22%) , as follows--

Richter condo development between Scott & Kenilworth-on grounds of extreme density, minimal parking where there is no on-street nearby, and height across from bungalows

Lowes-big box auto oriented in urban neighborhood, very low density housing ( 6 per acre) where plans called for significant housing, significant traffic issues into the neighborhood

Blanket rezoning of TOD-Zoning

I do want to point out that DCDA did not even formally reject the blanket TOD rezoning...an over-zealous member of the Land Use committe sent an email that essentially spoke for the entire organization, without consulting the full board...the board never got a chance to vote....needless to say, most would have certainly voted to oppose it, but by-laws weren't followed, etc. etc.

Dilworth Walk was the test case for PED, and the community got full clarification of what PED allowed for from city planning before deciding to vote against the project. The community still voted against the project based on the specific conditions of that particular development. Whether or not there was confusion before hand is irrelevant.

Furman (TreHouse) DID try to save the contributing historical structures, apartment building and single-family home, in his first two iterations, but was quickly slapped on the wrist and was told "too dense"

I'm sure there's code control over the percentage of the lot a house covers, and most of the mc mansions probably maximize that envelope. Those giant three story homes on Ideal Way look completely ridiculous. Unfortunately, in a couple of years it will be the small bungalows that look ridiculous.

its got nothing to do with code but most (all?) of the houses along McDonald sit on land that has deed restrictions preventing new construction higher than 1.5 stories. About half of the new houses violate this restriction but nobody seems to care too much. I am not sure how deed restructions work, I believe that the only enforcement mechanism is the right of neighbors to sue for damages. Any others here have better information?

Given the common time period that the Ideal Way land was platted I would not be surprised if the same deed restrictions existed there.

its got nothing to do with code but most (all?) of the houses along McDonald sit on land that has deed restrictions preventing new construction higher than 1.5 stories. About half of the new houses violate this restriction but nobody seems to care too much. I am not sure how deed restructions work, I believe that the only enforcement mechanism is the right of neighbors to sue for damages. Any others here have better information?

Given the common time period that the Ideal Way land was platted I would not be surprised if the same deed restrictions existed there.

Most people would be very surprised what restrictions there are in many subdivisions that are being ignored or violated. I wasn't aware of these, but I'm not surprised either.

You are correct, deed restrictions must be brought to light and to court by neighbors who want them enforced. Since they aren't public restrictions (in other words not brought about by the government but voluntarily in the past by landowners) they are not the jurisdiction of the government until asked to enforce them.

As for this area in particular, at this point, a homeowner or lot owner that wanted to break the restrictions would likely have a fairly easy time doing it since they haven't been enforced to this point. Arguement in court: unfair to enforce on some but not on all, and evidence is all up and down the street that the restrictions have been broken over and over.

Most people would be very surprised what restrictions there are in many subdivisions that are being ignored or violated. I wasn't aware of these, but I'm not surprised either.

Surprising, yes. Not only height <=1.5 stories, but also home size (>700 sq ft, IIRC), and racially discriminitory restrictions on who can reside in these houses (non-white permitted only as dosmestic employee!). I was pretty shocked to read that when I moved to the area. I'm happy to say tha my home is within the deed restrictions in size (>700ft, <=1.5 stories), but we flagrantly violate by being a beige family. ;)

Surprising, yes. Not only height <=1.5 stories, but also home size (>700 sq ft, IIRC), and racially discriminitory restrictions on who can reside in these houses (non-white permitted only as dosmestic employee!). I was pretty shocked to read that when I moved to the area. I'm happy to say tha my home is within the deed restrictions in size (>700ft, <=1.5 stories), but we flagrantly violate by being a beige family. ;)

Fortunately those restrictions are automatically unenforceable, but they are all over deeds throughout the neighborhoods that were platted and divided in the Jim Crow era. Racial restrictions aren't the only ones, though, that are socially unexceptable -- at times they had some that restricted to married couples or families only.

• 2 weeks later...

Talley's abruptly closed today. The employees were surprised as well. The store has been having food quality and cleanliness problems for a long time. From what I hear things really started going downhill recently. Still they were an independently owned neighborhood institution and it's sad to see them go. I wonder who will take a chance next in that pricey and low visibility slot....

In a bit of horrible news....Edens & Avant (the owners of Kenilworth Commons) want to expand their parking lot to the two empty lots on Kenilworth that were cleared to make way for the Bill Diehl III condo project that never materialized. There would be no new access....just regular parking lot addition, I assume for the Teeter.

While I am no against additional parking necessarily, I am strongly against having parking occupy these two lots with nothing to sheild the view. The city should DEMAND that E&A build 4-6 townhouses fronting Kenilworth, to shield the view, and improve the streetscape....the units could have garage parking, and they could still get most of the parking that they planned.

Hopefully DCDA is tackling this issue......

Link to the rezoning for the parking lot addition.

In a bit of horrible news....Edens & Avant (the owners of Kenilworth Commons) want to expand their parking lot to the two empty lots on Kenilworth that were cleared to make way for the Bill Diehl III condo project that never materialized. There would be no new access....just regular parking lot addition, I assume for the Teeter.

While I am no against additional parking necessarily, I am strongly against having parking occupy these two lots with nothing to sheild the view. The city should DEMAND that E&A build 4-6 townhouses fronting Kenilworth, to shield the view, and improve the streetscape....the units could have garage parking, and they could still get most of the parking that they planned.

Hopefully DCDA is tackling this issue......

Link to the rezoning for the parking lot addition.

You got nothing to worry about - E&A supposedly dropped the contract b/c the neighborhood was not receptive to the rezoning.

I certainly understand what you're saying, but it sure would've been nice to have some additional parking for HT employees, as well as some overflow parks during peak hours.

Just a note that the Ordermore8 condos have started construction. I was riding my bike by the site the other day and it has been graded and the utilities have been installed in the ground (lots of white pipes sticking up). I also checked and they just got all their building permits this week to move on ahead on construction. This will be a good infill project between Scott Ave and the single family houses. Woulod not surprise me someday if the whole Scott/Kennilworth median becomes townhomes/condos.

RenderingHomePage.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The DCDA email for this month's meeting lists plans for The Villalonga-Alexander House on the agenda. I hope the new owners are not trying to make radical changes. It's a historical landmark and local treasure. And it's not like we have these structures all over town. Maintaining the house as single family might not be practical I wonder if they are going to turn it into condos or perhaps a B&B or hotel.

Speaking of such...the proposed Dilworth Inn is also under discussion this week.

Edited by voyager12