Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

I was showing property at Royal Court today and was amazed at how "Urban" it felt.  I was concerned that the development along Morehead would choke the life from Royal Court but was pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I was all over the metro today but did go down East Blvd and see the large apartment complex by Lombardy Circle and East Blvd.   I forgot how tall and how many units.  I think Jim Gross is involved but with so many projects it is hard to remember.  

here you go from the Biz Journal 

""Those 13 parcels had been assembled by project developer Jim Gross Development Co. during a 12-month span to make way for the 392,000-square-foot project. In addition to 334 luxury apartments that will range from studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom units, the development will include an underground parking garage with 437 spaces."”

The progress looks great! Google occasionally will have me drive by that development when going home from work. It had been a little while so I was shocked when I drove past it a few nights ago!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DJ8hep said:

The progress looks great! Google occasionally will have me drive by that development when going home from work. It had been a little while so I was shocked when I drove past it a few nights ago!

it was a big hole last time I went by and took a photo.   Like that is it is concrete and steel too.  

• Like 2

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article285086847.html

What’s next for the old Epicurean Restaurant property in the Dilworth area?

Chase Jordan
Fri, February 9, 2024 at 5:40 AM EST3 min read

The site of the old Epicurean Restaurant in Dilworthremains vacant after it was closed and demolished about 25 years ago — but a new fence is catching the attention of people passing by the property at East Boulevard and Scott Avenue.

Selwyn Property Group is making plans for the property where the historic restaurant once stood before the doors closed in the late 1990s after being in business for about 50 years. But the firm said the public should not expect anything anytime soon.

The 1-acre space at 1324 East Blvd. in the Dilworth neighborhood was once owned by the Castanas family. They had plans to build a new Epicurean restaurant with stores and offices, but couldn’t get the financing. The property was listed for sale in 2018.

A fence has been placed around the old Epicurean Restaurant property at 1324 East Blvd. in Charlotte. The building was demolished in the 1990s. A developer is making plans to build apartments or office spaces on the property.

A fence has been placed around the old Epicurean Restaurant property at 1324 East Blvd. in Charlotte. The building was demolished in the 1990s. A developer is making plans to build apartments or office spaces on the property.More

Looking back

A corporate group affiliated with Selwyn Property and co-founder Grey Poole purchased the property in 2021 for $5.1 million from the family, according to previous reports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte council members approved plans proposed by Selwyn in 2020 to build 80,000 square feet of office space or 170 apartment units, The Charlotte Observer reported. Up to 10,000 square feet of retail space was approved through a zoning change.

With the site being close to retail and major employers like Atrium Health, Poole told the Observer in 2021 that Selwyn was leaning toward building apartments. Plans were put on pause because of the pandemic, but the firm expected to start in 2022.

So what’s next for the site?

After purchasing the site, Selwyn worked closely with the Dilworth Community Association to rezone the site for developing the property, Poole told The Observer on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, the start of construction of either multi-family or office development will not happen soon because of market conditions, Poole said. He said the firm will continue to follow the market closely to determine the appropriate time to move forward with building something.

Poole said that a lot of capital markets, including banks, were sitting on the sidelines in 2023 when it comes to investments.

Although a timeline for construction is not set, Poole said that something will be built this decade.

“Certainly, our site is only getting better,” he said about the property’s value. “It’s a wonderful location and it has nothing to do with the dynamics of our site.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We like what’s going on with the hospital expansion and the construction of the medical school. Those are all going to be really positive things for us.”

So what about that fence?

A fence was installed to prevent debris dumping and because telecommunications utilities on the site are being relocated.

“Most of those line are being put underground. so they won’t impact our ability to construct the building, once we get started,” Poole said.

Hey, what’s that?

Curious about construction going on around the Charlotte region? Email reporter Chase Jordan with the location that you are curious about, at [email protected]. Your suggestion may appear in a future story.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1