Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rufus said:

Remind me again of the deck screening with this? That is an atrociously visible deck, and I would hate for it to be the focal point from this vantage point. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e6735a8c6baf383e4ed62bfa17c99882.jpegLooks screened here but a rendering can always differ from the final product.

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Please please please report your observation to the city. This was a huge problem in Uptown when Grand Bohemian was built. The contractor was required to have protection on all the area storm inlets to keep that styrofoam junk out of the water. 

Emerald Web (charlottenc.gov)

I called Storm Water a couple of years ago .  They were VERY interested and went straight out. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

I called Storm Water a couple of years ago .  They were VERY interested and went straight out. 

17 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Please please please report your observation to the city. This was a huge problem in Uptown when Grand Bohemian was built. The contractor was required to have protection on all the area storm inlets to keep that styrofoam junk out of the water. 

Emerald Web (charlottenc.gov)

They did but up barriers on the storm drains but there is more Styrofoam and once they're gone, the flecks will still be present.

3 hours ago, davidclt said:

They did but up barriers on the storm drains but there is more Styrofoam and once they're gone, the flecks will still be present.

"They" as in the contractor?  If Storm Water had warned them and they removed the barriers then there'll probably be a fine this time.

2 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

"They" as in the contractor?  If Storm Water had warned them and they removed the barriers then there'll probably be a fine this time.

No I mean when they're done and there's still residual Styrofoam everywhere and I do mean everywhere.

20 hours ago, jthomas said:

This may be the tiniest of nits to pick, but I'm not a fan of these small landscape buffers at the base of new buildings which seem to be a trend. IMO, a truly urban building interacts with the sidewalk (the public realm). To me, a landscape buffer belies a very suburban attitude - withdraw from the public realm and interact only where necessary. I'd rather see hardscape all the way up to the building and planter boxes used for greenery if desired, but YMMV.

Perhaps they serve to allow some runoff to penetrate the soil for the trees on the other side of the 'pavement', as they say in London.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2024 at 1:29 PM, jthomas said:

This may be the tiniest of nits to pick, but I'm not a fan of these small landscape buffers at the base of new buildings which seem to be a trend. IMO, a truly urban building interacts with the sidewalk (the public realm). To me, a landscape buffer belies a very suburban attitude - withdraw from the public realm and interact only where necessary. I'd rather see hardscape all the way up to the building and planter boxes used for greenery if desired, but YMMV.

I do like the incorporation of the landscaping at the street level, but I think more intentionality with how it interacts with the sidewalk is definitely important. I feel a good example of this would be at the plaza by the Ally building (specifically the layering around the Golden Cow). Adding architectural barriers that serves as a seating area around the landscaping I think helps a lot with this kind of disconnection.

IMG_5300.jpeg
Google street view

Edited by DJ8hep
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Perhaps they serve to allow some runoff to penetrate the soil for the trees on the other side of the 'pavement', as they say in London.

That definitely makes sense and I believe it also might be required by the general development zoning standards as well!

Edited by DJ8hep
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 1:52 PM, davidclt said:

No I mean when they're done and there's still residual Styrofoam everywhere and I do mean everywhere.

I just walked through this snowstorm a minute ago and called 311 (and Charmeck airquality) again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...