Your favorite Hampton Roads building

johnhowell

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the daring designs of Nauticus, the VB Convnetion Center, and 17th St Surf Shop (although I miss the old one's labyrinth of stitched-together buildings). But I also like the neo-Georgian architecture of VB City Hall and the true colonial stylings of the Wren Building.

1. Scope (no contest: just don't know what to do with it)

2. Norfolk Southern

3. Royster

4. Va. Beach Convention Center (full project)

5. Nauticus

6. Chrysler Museum

7. Wainwright Building

8. 150 Main Street

9. Virginia Aquarium

10. Dominion Tower

Granby Tower may become the new #1 and Westin #4 Trader #10

by the way..I read somewhere that there will be mermaids on the top of GranbyTower!?

Granby Tower may become the new #1 and Westin #4 Trader #10

by the way..I read somewhere that there will be mermaids on the top of GranbyTower!?

This is correct. I believe they will be stainless steel ones in much the same fashion as the art deco sculpture work on top of the ESB and Chrysler.

All those old buildings like the Towne Bank building are sweet. They have a distinct base, body, and crown unlike many new buildings.

How could I forget about the Chrysler Museum? Good call, padman.

Lammius, wasn't there a Jew Mom's in One High Street?

Lammius, wasn't there a Jew Mom's in One High Street?

Yes there was. I lived there with my fam for a few years in the early 90s when The Max restaurant was there. Then came Jewish Mother and then a Mexican restaurant. I haven't been to that part of Olde Towne in a few years so I'm not sure what restaurant anchors the ground floor now.

Yes there was. I lived there with my fam for a few years in the early 90s when The Max restaurant was there. Then came Jewish Mother and then a Mexican restaurant. I haven't been to that part of Olde Towne in a few years so I'm not sure what restaurant anchors the ground floor now.

It's still the Mexican place/

Is that the Towne Bank Building or the Decker Building (being as he just bought it and has a penchant for naming his buildings for himself)?

Whatever the official title, that is definately my fav building, followed for some reason by the apartment tower in Portsmouth that is 25 stories. Too bad it's not 45 though lol...

• 2 weeks later...

I like your choices, lammius. Wasn't #1 High street originally the Seaboard Air Line railway passenger station? If not, it looks almost exactly like it!

• 1 month later...

I think my favorite Hampton Road's building is the AT&T building in downtown Norfolk. Built like a fortress, it is the tandem switch for Hampton Roads. I've never been able to score a tour of the facility.

I believe it may have been built to withstand nuclear blast? It was dehorned some time ago. It also used to be home to some elite equipment that was part of the early warning system.

I've heard rumors that it is mostly empty on the AT&T side (Verizon has the building attached, and I would imagine there is a large amount of CLEC space as well). Technology tends to reduce the space needed for switches.

Even though SBC bought AT&T, it appears that they are going to adopt the AT&T name. This is great news, as AT&T is an American legend.

Archived