920 Cherry, ICCF/Blodgett Home and Fairmount Square

joeDowntown

I haven't been very impressed by the previous designs for the townhouses but now I am skeptical about Eastbrook's ability to do anything better. Will they farm out the design or do it themselves? GR needs some really good examples of urban townhouses so that it can start to have quality infill and now I don't think this will be the benchmark.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in an Eastbrook Home for three years. It was well built. Unfortunately, the clique-y neighborhood aspect got to me and I moved. :) But I would give them good marks. They were always very responsive.

The problem with Eastbrook homes is not usually the house itself, it's the fact that the homeowners have no taste and leave it as a big white box. ;)

Joe

I gotta say (I will probably get slammed by someone) that I have not been impressed with the quality of the Eastbrook homes I have been in. I sure wouldn't buy one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The exterior brick repair is proceeding, but we cannot make a great deal of progress on the exterior until we start receiving from the replacement architectural ornimentation peices from the company in Texas. I do not think that we will start seeing that stuff arrive until February. Same goes for the windows from Pella.

Inside is a beehive of activity. The electrical rough-in is nearly 50% complete and plumbing is nearly 100% with HVAC about 60% done. Steel stud walls are probably 80% complete with wall board schedled to start January 2. What oak woodwork still left in the building has now been stripped and it is beautiful. Terrazo floors in the main entry on the second floor have been rough cleaned. They will soon be patching the terrazo cracks, etc. Elevator and mechanical shaftways have been constructed and the installation of the elevator equipment is supposed to start very early in January.

Outside work has begun on the site. In particular the cistern ( 12x18x22 feet deep, 1800 cubic feet) for collecting rain water from the roof is in the ground. The storm water detention system for below the parking lot has been started. The folks from Bazzani tell me that they will be starting construction on the retail building at the NW corner of the site yet this month.

Bottom line is that we are making great progress now. We hope to be moving in about June 15. That is however not yet promised. We will have tosee how things go through the winter.

The DA Blodgett building was featured as a LEED case study at a Low Impact Development (LID) seminar held today by the Greater Grand Rapids Home Builders Association. Guy Bazzani presented this building and the Diamond & Lake Drive building. Both are zero discharge storm water projects - very amazing what they have done there. Both buildings have green roofs and the Blodgett building has pervious pavement parking lots. (I'm a highway guy :) ) If you get a chance, attend one of the Homebuilder LID presentations (schedule is supposed to be on their website), I think all UPers' will find them very interesting.

• 1 month later...
Insulated concrete forms.......Linky

The foam blocks stack like legos and you pour concrete in the middle. The form is permanant and then functions as the insulation for the wall. These particular icf's are rated at R-24.

Very solid construction with little infiltration for huge energy efficiency :D

• 1 month later...
The DA Blodgett building was featured as a LEED case study at a Low Impact Development (LID) seminar held today by the Greater Grand Rapids Home Builders Association. Guy Bazzani presented this building and the Diamond & Lake Drive building. Both are zero discharge storm water projects - very amazing what they have done there. Both buildings have green roofs and the Blodgett building has pervious pavement parking lots. (I'm a highway guy :) ) If you get a chance, attend one of the Homebuilder LID presentations (schedule is supposed to be on their website), I think all UPers' will find them very interesting.

Just a shout out for the East Hills Council of Neighbors, we are the fiduciary for the DEQ Non-Point Stormwater grant that is making the green roofs and permeable parking lots possible. Our partnership with Bazzani Associaties is making East Hills the "greenest" place in our city and maybe even our state. It takes many partners for a great project like this, we have been long term advocates for the proper re-use of 920 Cherry and are happy to see progress at this key site in our neighborhood!

Archived