North Carolina Biotech Research Campus

orulz

WCNC reported that the first building of the campus has already been topped out and that the first tenant is a diabetes research group. Also, there's some machine that will be installed there that is the only one of its kind in the world; it's like a super-MRI machine that allows researchers to intensely study molecules and molecular relationships.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its an NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) used for determining atomic structural arrangement-most commonly used in determing protein structure. Its the Bruker Avance II 950 mHz which rolled out of production in the spring. Its not the only kind in the world-its just the first order as it is commercially available to anyone. Kind of weird thats a major announcement. We have 7 NMRs in our building alone.

Man this guy is the epitome of self-promoting PR. I am going to call the news media the next time we purchase a centrifuge.

Its an NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) used for determining atomic structural arrangement-most commonly used in determing protein structure. Its the Bruker Avance II 950 mHz which rolled out of production in the spring. Its not the only kind in the world-its just the first order as it is commercially available to anyone. Kind of weird thats a major announcement. We have 7 NMRs in our building alone.

Man this guy is the epitome of self-promoting PR. I am going to call the news media the next time we purchase a centrifuge.

They mentioned exactly what type of machine it was on the news, but I couldn't recall, but yeah, what you said. :shades:

I agree Dan, it is a very impressive purchase. And to think its going into little ole Kannapolis. Who would have thought such a thing just a few years ago? I think Duke is going to do a great job of managing the NC Research campus and will bring in some great companies and jobs to Kannapolis.

You are right that Duke "milked" him for the purchase...he went around to all the research campuses in North Carolina and asked them what equipment they wanted that they didn't have. He is keeping his word and plunking down his money to buy the best stuff that is out there.

I still find it interesting that Governor Easley has not touched this project with a 10 ft pole. Does anyone know the backstory on that one? He is about the only public official out there that hasn't associated themselves with this project in some way.

The difference, according to the local news, is the one being installed at this campus is significantly more powerful than anything else on the planet. As a result it will let them conduct experiments that can't be carried out other machines that are presently available.

I don't know if the 950 mHz instrument is actually going to be purchased. I have heard they may go with the 700 mHz machine-that was the one that was offically announced. The price of 950 mHz model will eat up 50-60% of their instrumentation budget.

Ok.....assuming they go with the 950mHz that was announced, what does the extra 250mHz provide in terms of research capacity? Would it provide a tool so unique that it would actually draw companies to the campus as opposed to anywhere else in the world?

I don't know if the 950 mHz instrument is actually going to be purchased. I have heard they may go with the 700 mHz machine-that was the one that was offically announced. The price of 950 mHz model will eat up 50-60% of their instrumentation budget.

According to page 4 of this document: http://www.ncresearchcampus.net/pdf_files/...heetcorelab.pdf

They plan to acquire 3 NMR... 900MHz, 800MHz, and 700MHz for the NCRC. At the press conference yesterday they had a large picture of the 950MHz and a rep from Bruker Biospin touting the device. Mr Murdoch stated at the press conference that the equipment had already been purchased. One has to assume that the 950MHz is either in addition to the 3 NMR already announced or it is replacing the 900MHz.

I assume you might be getting your info from the Press Release, which only mentioned the 700MHz instrument.

I hear ya-I got my info from the news release.

Atlvr, to answer your question "no". UNC had purchased the same type "first of a kind roll off the line" equipment a couple of years ago ( a mass spec in this case). The facility has not only not been able to attract more researchers for this core but lost their director. Also there are quite a few 900 mHz machines floating around which are not any significantly less powerful than the 950. I'm sure Bruker will be releasing the 1000mHz model soon.

Its a good piece of equipment to have for use though for UNC, NCSU, and Duke.

Well, hopefully this is a sign of Murdock's confidence in the project. I've read recently that Cabarrus and Kannapolis are reaching an agreement to actually front the funds Murdock is requesting for infrastructure. I guess if they want to save the city, and this works, it will be far worth it in the long run. My father also made mention (although I can't find any sources online) that the campus would be getting its own direct route and exit off of 85. I find that hard to believe. Has anybody else heard this?

Well, hopefully this is a sign of Murdock's confidence in the project. I've read recently that Cabarrus and Kannapolis are reaching an agreement to actually front the funds Murdock is requesting for infrastructure. I guess if they want to save the city, and this works, it will be far worth it in the long run. My father also made mention (although I can't find any sources online) that the campus would be getting its own direct route and exit off of 85. I find that hard to believe. Has anybody else heard this?

Yes I have heard that from several sources (well actually two). The plan is that Dale Earnhard (3) will be widend from 85 straight thru to Loop Rd. The funding is already in place and approved by the state. I was under the impression from the developer I talked to, that construction on that road would be started already.

I had been wondering why it hadn't started.

This may be false in my understanding but, with the recent state passing of the law enabling cities and counties to approve a rate increase on car rental tax, couldn't Cabarrus and/or Kannapolis approve this tax and use it for the infrastructure needs for the campus? Cabarrus is undoubtably not the states highest car rental county, but wouldn't it at least help pay for the bonds they are proposing taking out?

• 1 month later...

Last week, I viewed a presentation and enjoyed a tour of the demolition zone that is the former Pillowtex site and future Biotech campus. This is going to be an incredible project! I was completely blown away at the scale and scope of what Murdock is doing with the site. It's isn't everyday that an investor decides to throw $1.5B at any project, much less one that will be planned, designed and built to the highest standards anyone could imagine. I heard that a visiting Duke official said the campus was a "gift from God." There will be nothing like it anywhere in the world.

In one year, over 7M square feet of buildings have been almost completely destroyed, which in itself, is amazing. But at the request of Murdock, the demolition contractors, DH Griffin (who did the 9/11 WTC demo), have recycled over 50% of the raw materials on the site... from old bricks to 100 year old wood beams, etc. I was told it's currently the largest demolition site in the world.

At buildout by the middle of the next decade, they plan to have over 5k workers on the campus with the possibility of generating 20-30k more in supporting industries. In order to handle all the infrastructure in the area, Kannapolis and Cabarrus County are planning to utilize the first TIF (Tax Increment Financing, which issues bonds to be repaid by future property tax revenue gains) ever in NC. I'm not a hug fan of TIFs, but I think this is the perfect use for the intent of the law. Kannapolis has been devastated by thousands of layoffs and desparatedly needs this facility to revitilize it's economy. I think if someone is willing to invest over $1B in your city, it's worthwhile to step up to the plate and provide some cost sharing for infrastructure. I spoke with the City Manager and he said there has been no negative public reaction so far and expects that they wil

BTW, I wonder if there will ever be a discussion between CATS and Murdock/Kannapolis/Cabarrus Co on studying a connection to the NE LRT sometime in the future (maybe Murdock could fund it :D ). Even if development never reaches 35k workers, the area around the campus would still be a tremendous traffic generator that could be useful to connect to Charlotte (besides just Amtrak a couple of times per day).

I was at the BioFusion biotech investment conference last week and developed a much different take on it-at least from a scientific perspective. They are having a very difficult time finding interested tenants and it looks like the investment fund will open to companies that choose not to relocate to the campus.

Also the mood around Duke is that lower faculty on the food chain will be farmed out to Kannapolis so valued lab space can be filled with new faculty recruits or established faculty that want more lab space.

I do think they will get a decent amount of tenants but will never reach the 5,000 mark, at least not in scientists.

I was at the BioFusion biotech investment conference last week and developed a much different take on it-at least from a scientific perspective. They are having a very difficult time finding interested tenants and it looks like the investment fund will open to companies that choose not to relocate to the campus.

Also the mood around Duke is that lower faculty on the food chain will be farmed out to Kannapolis so valued lab space can be filled with new faculty recruits or established faculty that want more lab space.

I do think they will get a decent amount of tenants but will never reach the 5,000 mark, at least not in scientists.

From some friends that I have spoken too, the actual number of people that Murdock's plan will employee will be much higher than what I had originally thought. Currently the number being tossed around is 30K. But again from all that I am hearing that number could be north of 45K-50K in a decade or so. As for scientists, I have a strong feeling that 5K is not going to be that much of a stretch, especially considering the momentum and cash behind the TOTAL project.

Once complete, there will be nothing else in the world similar to what Murdock is putting together.

(or at least on the same scale, in one overall project)

I believe that this project, along with the Research Triangle, will solidify NC as the Number One state in the Nation for Research.

A2

BTW, I wonder if there will ever be a discussion between CATS and Murdock/Kannapolis/Cabarrus Co on studying a connection to the NE LRT sometime in the future (maybe Murdock could fund it :D ). Even if development never reaches 35k workers, the area around the campus would still be a tremendous traffic generator that could be useful to connect to Charlotte (besides just Amtrak a couple of times per day).

Kannapolis/Concord/Cabarrus seem to be disinterested in the CATS transit system. In any case, the current Terminus of the NE LRT is planned just north of UNCC which is about 10 miles from there. Given what it is costing/mile to build a LRT and the fact they would have to build bridges across 485, and there is no ROW, this extension could easily exceed a billion dollars to build. It doesn't seem likely that would happen. This would also make the blue line more than 30 miles long which is excessive for a LRT.

A much more doable option would be a commuter rail train that connected the Kannapolis NCDOT train station to the proposed Gateway station in downtown Charlotte. The Kannapolis train station is within walking distance of Murdock's campus. They could add stops in downtown Concord, Harrisburg, and a station near UNCC. The UNCC station would be interesting as it would compete with the LRT. Service would be less frequent to the LRT but service to downtown would be much faster. One can now board a train at 7:30 in the morning in Charlotte and be in Kannapolist by 8am. The return trip is the problem because it is late in the evening.

^ I've always that was the logical option. I think a walk up stop at Suther Rd. for UNCC students served by a free campus shuttle (that could also connect to LRT). A park-and-ride would do best just north of 485, and then of course stops in Harrisburg, another large commuter stop where the rail line cuts north of 49, one in downtown Concord, and the Kannapolis stop.....maybe Saisbury as well?

If they were able to use the existing NCRR tracks then that would be a service that would not cost much to start up. They will be starting a mid-day train in the no so distant future, so one could ride to K-town in the morning and then ride back to Charlotte at lunchtime.

That would not be real effective for people on a working schedule, but if the NCDOT added a midday train that left Raleigh about 1pm then it would arrive in Kannapolis about 3:30-4pm (maybe they could introduce a delay at Kannaoplis) and that could work.

A limited commuter rail that went to Salisbury is definately something that could work on this route. They could send 4-6 trains into Charlotte in the morning, store them at the proposed downtown VMF during the day and have them return in the evening. I'm surprised this isn't on the books now as it should be fairly inexpensive to implement and the drive on 85 past 485 is especially gruelsome. Three of the stations already exist and the tracks are in good shape.

They would have to figure out how to do the reverse commute to Kannapolis but if there were a set of trains traveling this route that might be possible.

Archived