Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Monticello is heating up with retail activity.

Chic-fil-a and Cook Out are coming and now a Petco is seeking approval to open next to the One Life Fitness. Decent use of an old warehouse in my opinion, and if Petco doesn't work out hopefully another large format retailer will give it a go.

• 3 weeks later...

The downtown 7-11 is open. Nice addition to Monticello and a late night place to grab a snack!

Interesting...I was at the BWW last week, and noticed the 7-11 sign, but the space appeared empty inside. Glad to know it's open...I like the idea of a convenience store downtown.

Is Granby St. Pizza still downtown? I know they usually stay open long enough for the last call crowd.

With TCC nearby, Domino's should sell by the slice. It just sounds like a good idea for a big city downtown pizzeria, chain or not. Who wants to buy an entire pie when you're already trying to get something quick?

Is Granby St. Pizza still downtown? I know they usually stay open long enough for the last call crowd.

With TCC nearby, Domino's should sell by the slice. It just sounds like a good idea for a big city downtown pizzeria, chain or not. Who wants to buy an entire pie when you're already trying to get something quick?

Yup, was there at least 3 weeks ago I know.

This will probably hurt them. Although I like the pizza, it seems like the owner was short changing his opportunties. He didn't sell wings, didn't stay open as much as he could (surely based on crowds), slim offerrings, somewhat pizza lunch menu that isn't really a lunch menu. Its not a very inviting man either, his interactions as a prime provider as standoffish.

• 2 weeks later...

Went into the Urban Outfitters on Sunday and was very impressed. As many of you know, Granby is DEAD on weekends, especially Sundays. However, there were quite a few shoppers there. The only wierd thing is when you leave the store you sort of look both ways and go "now where do we go?" I heard the Granby St. Experience a few weeks back opened a lot of eyes, so hopefully some good retail will show up on Granby to accompany Urban Outfitters.

I think it's foolish to situate the drive-thru the way they are... The building should front Monticello and the drive through should be completely on the back side, even if the ordering radio had to be at the back of the parking lot. That area will eventually be pedestrian friendly again and new construction should take advantage of that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to that 7-11 a few times. It's a nice one. A good selection of craft beers, and even a few local brews. With its newspaper selection, it's the closest thing to a newsstand that downtown has. The store just got sold to a franchisee, so hopefully it will stay classy.

News has been slow but I did find this interesting. http://norfolklive.b...tle-uptown.html

Goes to show you how under privilege I was growing up. I didn’t know 7-11 had a stigma, I just thought it was a convenience store, some cleaner than others, but still a convenience store. Neither bad nor good around my side of town, people of all demographics use it.

I think it's foolish to situate the drive-thru the way they are... The building should front Monticello and the drive through should be completely on the back side, even if the ordering radio had to be at the back of the parking lot. That area will eventually be pedestrian friendly again and new construction should take advantage of that.

I'm curious to know what's going to happen to the old HRT bldg just south. Personally I think it would have been better to make a Target on the old HRT site and the lot where CFA is going but that is my wishful thinking. I think the drive through around the front is tacky too but at least it looks like it will be hidden by shrubs. Of the two, I like this design better because at least the parking is moved to the back.