Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

There was an article in the Pilot stating that AJ Gators was making electrical repairs and would reopen. We will see...

I was reading on AltDaily that San Antonio Sams in Ghent is being replaced by a Chipotle. It would be Norfolk's first Chipotle though several are open in the metro (Town Center, Greenbrier, Patrick Henry Area).

From the Pilot online:

Chipotle will take over San Antonio Sam's

SanAntonioSams.JPG

David Nicholson/Daily Press photo

Say goodbye to San Antonio Sam’s Cafe & Saloon in Norfolk’s Ghent neighborhood. Say hello to Chipotle Mexican Grill.

Though the folks at San Antonio Sam’s issued a “no comment,” a spokesperson for Chipotle confirmed that the Mexican chain restaurant will open up a location there in late fall. San Antonio Sam’s, located at 1501 Colley Ave., plans to close at the end of June, according to one of its Ghent neighbors.

Chipotle Mexican Grill has several other locations in Hampton Roads, including one at Patrick Henry Mall in Newport News and another at Peninsula Town Center in Hampton.

Correction, that's Daily Press online.

AJ Gators on Granby has been closed. Has a sign on the door about unexpected renovations (yea right) and some sorta Realtor lock box.

Other friend was saying Time looked dead, but I'm not sure about this. I think it might have just been the end of the weekend?

Friends and myself are investigating opening a large classic arcade on Granby Street. Pinballs/classic games up to more modern stuff. No redemption, no chuck e cheese, etc. Thoughts?

I think an arcade downtown would make a fortune. People are always looking for one by the mall and with no jillians, there is nothing downtown

wtf? I think the bottom floor was still the pub but most people don't want to go to a bar that is also a gay bar. Looks bad on the city though. If it was ok to have the pub on the second floor, why is it illegal to change format? Same owners. Same business.

Kebab Shack on Granby is being converted to an Italian Pizza and Sub joint to be ran by the same owner. Kind of a bold move with The Vineyard, Granby St Pizza, Gustos, and Sirenas all within a 4 block area.

Also it looks like Pure, which took over Bootleggers spot is gone already. That was quick!

It's good norfolk getting a chipotle...no actually great...but some residents said that spot should be reserved for a local restaurant so Ghent can have it's unique identity. What you guys think?

They could have put it at 201 twenty one near five guys.

Does anyone know what will go in the old blockbusters on 21st...I would like to see a Trader Joe's if the place is big enough. That plus the new Harris Teeter would cover for the loss of the market that closed and would have residents from all over Norfolk and possibly other areas like old towne in Portsmouth coming to Ghent since the only trader joes is way in Va beach off Laskin.

It's good norfolk getting a chipotle...no actually great...but some residents said that spot should be reserved for a local restaurant so Ghent can have it's unique identity. What you guys think?

That's my thought too. The chains on that stretch Colley are all locally-owned places (Zero's, Kelly's, Y-Not, etc.). A Chipotle isn't going to tarnish the street, but it will definitely stand out.

For the record, further down, there's a Subway and Papa John's, but it's not in the core part of Ghent, so to speak (corner of Colley and 21st).

They could have put it at 201 twenty one near five guys.

Does anyone know what will go in the old blockbusters on 21st...I would like to see a Trader Joe's if the place is big enough. That plus the new Harris Teeter would cover for the loss of the market that closed and would have residents from all over Norfolk and possibly other areas like old towne in Portsmouth coming to Ghent since the only trader joes is way in Va beach off Laskin.

Neat idea...but it is however not possible to "zone" for a business to be locally owned and/or operated. There is a legal issue here that creates an "exclusionary" environment. Achieving this in Virginia would first require "enabling legislation" from the General Assembly in Richmond because Virginia is a Dillon Rule state which requires localities to request permission via enabling legislation in order to anything which is not specifically spelled out in state code.

The city may be able to lure in local businesses through economic gardening programs and special tax incentives/abatement programs aimed at business which have owners who choose to live in the same city as the business (notice I said "owners" and not "general managers"). This would target local business but not excluse national franchises which still hosted chains which were individually owned. Economic development programs could also target women and minority owned business ventures through special financing packages and grants.

But quite simply, it is not possible in Virginia to zone business/properties for locally owned ventures solely.

Looks like the "for lease" signs up at the old Blockbuster are gone so that was quick. Anyone know something?

As for the awful & horrible (sarcasm intended) news about Sam's vs. Chipotle I could care less. I heard the bar will still exist in some form and the real reason Sam's is going down had something to do with the owners splitting their business.

If the Ghentites crying about Chipotle boycott then it will go belly up. Somehow I doubt that and it's all part of the great circle of commerce. Now if someone could get all the empty storefronts in Ghent leased out to any business, chain or not, it would be a real blessing.

Heard a new home decor shop is opening on the Madison building at Granby and Freemason. Will take up about 1500 sqft in the basement, not sure of the name or when.

I saw them framing out walls in the basement.

Our slumlord rented out space in the basement to some guy with a small IT firm here in Freemason. I remember seeing the guy pulling all his stuff out after it met a foot or so of water. I just couldn't feel safe with space sitting below ground. Although I think TCC has a downstairs, but I dunno.

I noticed the Blockbuster for lease sign gone and the construction dumpster gone.

This clothing store that was on Granby next to this spa place opened and closed already. Notice everything was missing.

AJ Gators is back online.

Pure seems to have lost it's Pure Energy.

The old club 7's building is for sale.

zepp - yea, I think it's a home design firm or something.

I noticed that the for rent sign came down in another place on Granby that I think was a tax place. It's a smaller older space, sort of near Bobbi's Deli or whatever that place is.

I thought there was activity at the old La Galleria building, but it was just people moving stuff from TCC.

I noticed that the for rent sign came down in another place on Granby that I think was a tax place. It's a smaller older space, sort of near Bobbi's Deli or whatever that place is.

The Liberty Tax place has become a Barber shop... Nice to see something other than the bar/restaurant type giving it a go on Granby. When is the "barcade" opening?

The old Blockbuster in Ghent off of 21st street is now a Sleepy's Mattress Store.

A new vegan restraunt has also opened in the Ghent neighborhood. "Path" is kind off of the beaten path in a converted minature house on Boissevain Ave.

There are also a couple of new business in the North Colley Cooridor. The Peppermill Diner and Bar has replaced the Retro Diner and there is a new Pizza joint and a place named "The Eatery" across the street.

There are also a couple of new business in the North Colley Cooridor. The Peppermill Diner and Bar has replaced the Retro Diner and there is a new Pizza joint and a place named "The Eatery" across the street.

Went to the Peppermill right after if opened. Good food, but pricey. 3 of us had breakfast for $42. The Eatery has been there for years. It's only open one or two nights a week. i THINK that it's part of the Wave bar. It's how the Wave gets around the ABC rules about serving food. Mama Jo's Pizza is delivery and pickup only. Excellent meatballs!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like another new chain, Boardwalk Fresh Burgers & Fries, is coming soon to restaurant row, er, Monarch Way. According to Boardwalk's website, Daniel Wilke plans on opening 3 franchised restaurants in the Virginia Beach area in the next few years. There is already a coming soon sign on one of the empty Monarch Way storefronts.

http://www.boardwalkfreshburgersandfries.com/index.php

Sam's Texas Sub Shop doesn't seem to be affected by whatever issues San Antonio Sam's had. They are expanding their menu, adding chili and Sam's brisket sliders and other items. They are staying open later hours, and have an ABC notice for beer and wine on their front window.

Edited by jeffconn