Norfolk Stores and Retail and Resturants

vdogg

Dekor Ecklect store (Which I think is tied to Decorum) has a 30% off moving locations sale sign up. This is on Botetourt in the Freemason neighborhood. So I guess the space will free up, or perhaps the appliance store will take it all? This space used to be occupied by the architectural firm that refurbed the building at the corner of York and Botetourt.

Seems like no business in that strip has been lasting, except Viola.

Wonder how the architectural firm is doing?

I remember thinking "Now seems like about the wrong time to be expanding a high end appliance biz and a architect firm." Right at the height of the bubble. But who knows.

Edited by Telmnstr

Dekor Ecklect store (Which I think is tied to Decorum) has a 30% off moving locations sale sign up. This is on Botetourt in the Freemason neighborhood. So I guess the space will free up, or perhaps the appliance store will take it all? This space used to be occupied by the architectural firm that refurbed the building at the corner of York and Botetourt.

Seems like no business in that strip has been lasting, except Viola.

Wonder how the architectural firm is doing?

I remember thinking "Now seems like about the wrong time to be expanding a high end appliance biz and a architect firm." Right at the height of the bubble. But who knows.

The architect firm is Tymoff+Moss Architects. www.tmarchitects.com Their homepage has a note "News: We've moved across the street".

Are they doing good or bad?

The company that handles our apartment building took the better half of our parking lot, put up signs saying any resident will be towed and in turn gave that half of our parking lot to the architects from 8am to 6pm.

That half of the lot sits empty for most of the day.

If you asked me 4 years ago, I'd guessed that architects and appliance stores would be hard hit by building slowdown as the economy sinks.

Not sure how either are doing in the neighborhood, but it was a head scratcher when I saw them moving in / expanding.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/05/macarthur-...-new-businesses

MacArthur Center is getting two new stores and a restaurant, and two other retailers are expanding in the downtown Norfolk mall.

Fossil, the watch and accessories retailer, has opened a 1,500-square-foot store on the second floor near Nordstrom. It is the company's third Virginia store but first in Hampton Roads. It also has a store at Prime Outlets - Williamsburg.

Swarovski will open a cut-crystal boutique in the mall this summer, and Charley's Grilled Subs recently opened in the third-floor food court.

Victoria's Secret will be moving to the first floor and adding 2,000 square feet to create a new 8,500-square-foot lingerie, accessories and cosmetics emporium. And Coldwater Creek will expand its current space by about a third, allowing the women's clothier to offer a larger assortment.

• 2 weeks later...

Dekor Eklect place on Botetourt Street is leaving.

Dr. Johnny's Appliances on Botetourt Street is leaving.

This leaves the entire strip empty, except for the Viola restaurant.

(Check out the signs on Machismo regarding owner of Viola having people towed from their parking lot, even when Viola is closed. I sense beef!!)

On the flip side, over in downtown... commercial space ACTUALLY rented! There used to be a nick nack shop at the corner of Granby and (City Hall I think?). Across from Mo' and O'Mallys. It's been for rent for a while, but now it looks like it's being built out:

3578433839_f352b3b918.jpg

You heard it here first, yo.

Edited by Telmnstr

Dekor Eklect place on Botetourt Street is leaving.

Dr. Johnny's Appliances on Botetourt Street is leaving.

This leaves the entire strip empty, except for the Viola restaurant.

(Check out the signs on Machismo regarding owner of Viola having people towed from their parking lot, even when Viola is closed. I sense beef!!)

You heard it here first, yo.

Seriously you would imagine someone living by a place long enough you would know the difference between the words Viola and Voila (the actual name of the place). Yo.

Seriously you would imagine someone living by a place long enough you would know the difference between the words Viola and Voila (the actual name of the place). Yo.

It's a typo, and if you're going to correct me on it at least type it right. It's "voil

• 2 weeks later...

Two stores that are not located elsewhere in south hampton roads (well one in VA all together) are closing in MacArthur Center. EQ3 and J.Jill are closing. EQ3 is the furniture store where Jeepers used to be. The company said the mall's location and size didn't work as well as they hoped. This is bad news for MacArthur. I noticed there has been a lot of changes with the stores since the last 10 years as well as a lot of vacancies. I don't even know how it can still be classified as an upscale mall and the premiere shopping destination of Hampton Roads. I noticed it is starting to get like Military Circle and Pembroke.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/06/two-retail...acarthur-center

I noticed there has been a lot of changes with the stores since the last 10 years as well as a lot of vacancies. I don't even know how it can still be classified as an upscale mall and the premiere shopping destination of Hampton Roads. I noticed it is starting to get like Military Circle and Pembroke.

I can't agree with you on this one. How could you compare Mac Center to Pembroke. :rofl:

I noticed lots of sales at MacArthur when we went there yesterday. Maybe the stores are suffering, but Chili's wasn't as the line was long and we went for a backup plan: Hell's kitchen.

The old Heritage Bank building which is across from the future convention center site has activity. Doors were scraped and demo work is going on inside. I know the status changed on loopnet some time ago from "for sale" to "under contract." I thought it was pretty overpriced, so maybe the city jumped in and bought it with taxpayer money (kidding). We'll see what becomes of the windowless wonder! I always thought it was a neat building but would need some updating, it's kind of like a coffin.

In other news, it looks like the Continental Broadband office that was on Granby Street (Above the Targeted Publishing space) moved to Pittsburgh. They also built out a large data center there in a new building. The building is also home to brand new apartments that rent at like $650 for a one bedroom.

Targeted Publishing moved to a smaller office as well.

Looks like Wright has most of his stuff up for sale, if it's anything like the asking price on the leaning tower of Norfolk, good luck!

I can't agree with you on this one. How could you compare Mac Center to Pembroke. :rofl:

Yes it is getting like Military Circle and Pembroke somewhat. I actually like Pembroke only for the Stein Mart and Kohl's. MacArthur was completely different and very nice when it opened up in 1999. Now it has gone down, even before the economy tanked. I noticed it isn't as clean as it was before. A portion of the crowd gets unsavory at times and stores are leaving or have left in droves. I can tell it has a hard time attracting quality stores and a couple of urban stores have opened up this year...if Military Circle doesn't have enough urban stores at it is. I live in Norfolk and work on the Peninsula and I have to do most of my shopping there or go to Va Beach. I am pretty close to Military Circle but can't do my shopping there due to their very limited selection.

Edited by Weaver24

Umm, maybe the market is just not up to par. Hate to admit that, but maybe that's just the case. Malls usually contain 70% of browsers and 30% of actual buyers. Also a good premise to why you do not make your DT centerpiece a "MALL"....

By just about anyone's account of Norfolk's revitalization, McArthur Mall was arguably the most important development. Without the mall, there is no DT as wel know it today. All malls are doing bad right now.

I do agree that Norfolk's market is not up to par right now as well. McArthur was not doing so hot even in the best of economic times.

By just about anyone's account of Norfolk's revitalization, McArthur Mall was arguably the most important development. Without the mall, there is no DT as wel know it today. All malls are doing bad right now.

I do agree that Norfolk's market is not up to par right now as well. McArthur was not doing so hot even in the best of economic times.

Yeah, I would not argue that point, but 10 years later, still the center piece. LRT will be the next centerpiece, even though it is not really centered around the concept of DT, but it will help DT look busier. You would have thought by now they would have focused on other things. TPP was a good start, but I think the concept was half fullfiled when they did not do it in conjunction with overhauling waterside. Granby st. got a boost, but forgot retail and businesses that would help it thrive in low times and none clubbing days. Its funny, I always wondered why Norfolk did not have outside entertainment. You will find plenty of people just hanging out in Dt whenever they have some outside entertainment. I remember seeing a couple of times when TCC would host a DJ (I think for registration) and just play music. It is usually lively out, people walking around, and just enjoying the atmosphere. Even va.beach does it on holidays, Norfolk completely ignores that sort of thing.

By downhill you mean that there are lots of young black kids there? Eh, it's the population! Whitey is too busy trying to fund the McMansion and Benz lease. Kids get bored, wandering around the mall passes time and there shortys to hit on.

I'm not talking about race...I am talking about young kids (well some older) who are disruptive, obnoxious, very loud and that can turn away some shoppers. One time when i was there one guy kept bugging me to give him some money. I am a minority myself so I wouldn't target out one race because it isn't like that. But the mall has gone downhill with the cleanliness, selection, etc.

I'm not talking about race...I am talking about young kids (well some older) who are disruptive, obnoxious, very loud and that can turn away some shoppers. One time when i was there one guy kept bugging me to give him some money. I am a minority myself so I wouldn't target out one race because it isn't like that. But the mall has gone downhill with the cleanliness, selection, etc.

Exactly, that's why many malls ban teenagers after a certain time unless they are with a parent.

Soo much for empty, not utilized storefronts in Mac Center, huh?

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/06/macarthur-...tory-xxiNORFOLK

Forever 21, the teen-oriented fashion retailer based in Los Angeles, is converting its store at MacArthur Center to a 25,500-square-foot, two-story space – nearly double its current size – under its new XXI Forever brand.

It will become the largest retail store in the downtown mall other than the department store anchors, Nordstrom and Dillard’s.

XXI Forever, which carries women’s and men’s clothing and accessories, opened last fall at Lynnhaven Mall in Virginia Beach in the former space of DSW, the shoe warehouse. The store, which as DSW had only an outside entrance into the Lynnhaven parking lot, expanded into a storefront inside the mall for XXI Forever.

For Love 21, an accessories chain operated by the same company, has stores in both the Lynnhaven and MacArthur malls.

At MacArthur Center, XXI Forever plans to open in summer 2010. It will occupy the third-floor space that now houses furniture store EQ3, which is closing, and the second-floor stores of Sanrio, the Washington Redskins and Blooming Beauty Supply & Salon. All of those stores will move within the mall, said Jim Wofford, MacArthur’s general manager.

Edited by varider

Soo much for empty, not utilized storefronts in Mac Center, huh?

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/06/macarthur-...tory-xxiNORFOLK

yeah but those spaces that XXI FOREVER (Forever 21) is going to are already utilized....they just expanding in the mall and will have the same type of store which is already at Lynnhaven. MacArthur still have alot of empty storefronts. It seems like Lynnhaven and MacArthur are competing and will have the same stores and will not get much that's new to the area. For example, MacArthur is getting a Swarvoski's, Charlie's Grilled Subs, Banana Republic, H&M, etc. and Lynnhaven already has one....as well as Lynnhaven getting a Coach, Cache, etc. and MacArthur already has them.