Hurricane Katrina - the aftermath

NCB

What's a stretch about getting dry clothes or goods for your soaked small children, infants or the elderly? What's so stretchy about getting a pair of shoes in a situation like this? Do you really believe that everyone in town woke up to their homes flooding, dressed ready to roll? This is a situation that the US hasn't experienced in nearly 100 years. If you've been down on those streets for the past three days, with the criminal element down there, rationality would be out of the window.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RiversideGator, I can't believe you can't see the evidence showing that global is a problem and is very real. Google "global warming" and find the link to the EPA's website. There you will find that most, if not all scientists know and have evidence that in the past century, earth's surface temp has risen 1 degree over the century, sea levels have risen 4-8 inches, which can be catastrophic, as it is proven that even what we would call small increases in water levels and temps have led to drastic changes on earth. It also says that occurences of extreme rainfall have increased.

Here is a quote from the EPA:

Global mean surface temperatures have increased 0.5-1.0

Hey everyone....I havent read this entire thread..but I can tell you it is VERY VERY VERY bad here.

I am running my computer on a generator, along with some fans and my fridge.

I have MAJOR wind damage on my property in Covington..about 10 major trees down.

This hurricane just turned these 100+ year old oak trees into toys...and it was very scary to see.

Now I am in a great situation compared to many of these poor people in New Orleans..I just wish I could help...but theres no way to even get into the city.

I urge all of you to not believe everything you here on CNN or Fox News..I have heard there was a report on CNN that neworleanians were shooting at millitary helicopters entering the city?

NOT TRUE..not even remotely true.

Right now there are huge cargo planes flying over my house every 5 minutes bringing supplies to New Orleans. I have seen at least 100 millitary helicopters in the last two days headed into New Orleans, that is nice to see, at least I know that they are trying to help the people in New Orleans out.

FEMA, RED CROSS and GEORGE BUSH NEED TO GET THEIR ACTS TOGETHER

New Orleans is still a major american city, there are 470,000 people living here, with 200,000 in Metairie, and 75,000 in Kenner, and they are both right outside of the city.

New Orleans is getting treated like crap in many cases.like a city that doesnt matter.

Everything you guys here on TV and on the radio about FEMA coming here and helping people out(giving food & water out, and helping people get out of city) is a bunch of crap.

They are doing absolutely nothing here, people are dying of starvation and thirst in shelters here right now because FEMA is doing squat. They knew this was going to be bad, they knew people were going to be in dire need of food and water, so why didnt they do what they said they were going to do and STOCK THE SHELTERS?

Their job is to manage emergencies, and they are not doing there job.

They knew that the superdome was going to be used as a shelter, so why didnt they stock it before-hand?

WHY WHY WHY?

People are sitting on interstate overpasses in New Orleans right now waiting for the Red Cross or FEMA to come help them and give them food and water, like they said they would...no one is coming..

It has been 3 days since the storm passed and no one is here helping except for the National Guard.

It didnt take us 3 days to get to the people in the Tsunami disaster, so why is it taking this long to get to New Orleans???

And George Bush knows about the looting and crime going on in New Orleans, he knows that police officers and fire fighters have been working 4 days straint on no sleep, he knows that the National Guard cant control the criminals, So why hasnt he sent the army or the marines here??

When all of you hear the press confrences talking about how much everyone is helping in New Orleans...sit back...and think to yourselves..how much is really happening?

We are sending supplies of food and water to Iraq..so why cant food and water to be sent to New Orleans? Right now President Bush needs to think about what is happening in our own back yard before we worry about foreign countries.

This is the worst natural disaster in the history of this country(they are estimating that 15,000 people could be dead). Why is no one helping..Why?

But I can tell you this guys...

NEW ORLEANS WONT DIE!!

We are to strong to dies down here!

The city will get back up on its feet eventually..it may take months or years..but it will happen!

Thanks for the update NCB. Good luck. We have New Orleans friends staying at our house right now. My dad got his master's in New Orleans, and we lived there for 10 years (not me personally). It's sad to think that my childhood home is probably underwater/ badly beaten right now.

NCB! I had mentioned you earlier in the thread and I was (as were others I imagine) concerned for your wellbeing and the wellbeing of other NO area forumers. I'm glad that you are okay, but I am sorry for the property damages...

I can't imagine what you are going through, nor would I want to, but I hope you know that you and others down there are in our thoughts and prayers.

My only point to make is that people are shooting at the military aircraft in New Orleans. I know because my mother is helping to coordinate communications between the major media outlets and the Air Force--she's a deputy of public affairs here in Langley AFB, Virginia (one helicopter and one cargo plane were hit by small arms fire). It's a desperate and depressing situation, but regardless, good to hear from you. Good luck.

NCB, I'm so glad to hear from you and that you're relatively OK.

My GOD my heart goes out to you guys.

All I know is that we really have absolutely no IDEA how bad it is for a lot of people down there. Fighting for the bare essentials....I just saw on the news where they got a shot of a dead, elderly woman in a wheelchair, clutching a note to a relative. Who in here can say that they've personally experienced such horrible conditions? All I can do is shake my head and pray...

A lot of families that are now homeless are filtering out throughout the South and even up into the MidAtlantic. It was on our local Hampton Roads news that there are a fair number of ties between our two areas, so many people could move here at least for the time being. I know at least 2 friends have relatives moving here permanently.

NCB!  I had mentioned you earlier in the thread and I was (as were others I imagine) concerned for your wellbeing and the wellbeing of other NO area forumers.  I'm glad that you are okay, but I am sorry for the property damages...

I can't imagine what you are going through, nor would I want to, but I hope you know that you and others down there are in our thoughts and prayers.

My only point to make is that people are shooting at the military aircraft in New Orleans.  I know because my mother is helping to coordinate communications between the major media outlets and the Air Force--she's a deputy of public affairs here in Langley AFB, Virginia (one helicopter and one cargo plane were hit by small arms fire).  It's a desperate and depressing situation, but regardless, good to hear from you.  Good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, I just heard on the radio that the incident really did happen :cry:

WWL 870 A.M. had reported earlier today that it wasnt true, but they edited that statement.

I am fine everyone, but alon504 lives in Uptown New Orleans, and it was flooded and had tree damage, I hope he is OK.

Im just glad I have food and water.

All I need right now is a shower!

I havent taken a real bath or shower in 5 days...

Hey everyone....I havent read this entire thread..but I can tell you it is VERY VERY VERY bad here.

I am running my computer on a generator, along with some fans and my fridge.

I have MAJOR wind damage on my property in Covington..about 10 major trees down.

This hurricane just turned these 100+ year old oak trees into toys...and it was very scary to see.

Now I am in a great situation compared to many of these poor people in New Orleans..I just wish I could help...but theres no way to even get into the city.

I urge all of you to not believe everything you here on CNN or Fox News..I have heard there was a report on CNN that neworleanians were shooting at millitary helicopters entering the city?

NOT TRUE..not even remotely true.

Right now there are huge cargo planes flying over my house every 5 minutes bringing supplies to New Orleans. I have seen at least 100 millitary helicopters in the last two days headed into New Orleans, that is nice to see, at least I know that they are trying to help the people in New Orleans out.

FEMA, RED CROSS and GEORGE BUSH NEED TO GET THEIR ACTS TOGETHER

New Orleans is still a major american city, there are 470,000 people living here, with 200,000 in Metairie, and 75,000 in Kenner, and they are both right outside of the city.

New Orleans is getting treated like crap in many cases.like a city that doesnt matter.

Everything you guys here on TV and on the radio about FEMA coming here and helping people out(giving food & water out, and helping people get out of city) is a bunch of crap.

They are doing absolutely nothing here, people are dying of starvation and thirst in shelters here right now because FEMA is doing squat. They knew this was going to be bad, they knew people were going to be in dire need of food and water, so why didnt they do what they said they were going to do and STOCK THE SHELTERS?

Their job is to manage emergencies, and they are not doing there job.

They knew that the superdome was going to be used as a shelter, so why didnt they stock it before-hand?

WHY WHY WHY?

People are sitting on interstate overpasses in New Orleans right now waiting for the Red Cross or FEMA to come help them and give them food and water, like they said they would...no one is coming..

It has been 3 days since the storm passed and no one is here helping except for the National Guard.

It didnt take us 3 days to get to the people in the Tsunami disaster, so why is it taking this long to get to New Orleans???

And George Bush knows about the looting and crime going on in New Orleans, he knows that police officers and fire fighters have been working 4 days straint on no sleep, he knows that the National Guard cant control the criminals, So why hasnt he sent the army or the marines here??

When all of you hear the press confrences talking about how much everyone is helping in New Orleans...sit back...and think to yourselves..how much is really happening?

We are sending supplies of food and water to Iraq..so why cant food and water to be sent to New Orleans? Right now President Bush needs to think about what is happening in our own back yard before we worry about foreign countries.

This is the worst natural disaster in the history of this country(they are estimating that 15,000 people could be dead). Why is no one helping..Why?

But I can tell you this guys...

NEW ORLEANS WONT DIE!!

We are to strong to dies down here!

The city will get back up on its feet eventually..it may take months or years..but it will happen!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gosh I am glad you are ok NCB and thanks for the report on your situation.

I am very angered at the response from the government especially from Bush himself. It is an national embarrasment how this situation is being handled and images on the news of starving people, wandering aimlessly because there is no one there to tell them what to do, is just shameful. The National Guard should have been sent in there days ago, oh but wait, more than 1/2 of them are in Iraq.

And to add something guys...

I supported George Bush..

But I cant anymore...at least not like I did before...

He is saying that the federal government cant help New Orleans until the neccesary processes or approval are complete.

Approval?

You mean to tell me that you have to wait days to get the request from Louisiana approved?

What the hell is this?

Your telling me you cant get down here and help dying people because of "necessary approval"

THAT IS CRAP

After 9/11 the government jumped right in to help New York.

Iraq didnt ask us to come there did they? They didnt have to wait for "approval"

We didnt have to "approve" sending troops and government workers to help with the Tsunami.

So why in the hell do we have to wait and wait and wait for help in New Orleans? WHY?

Bush flew over N.O. in Air Force One..So what..how does that help the people with no food or water..or the people stuck in their attics, or the people with no home.

This will go down in history as some of the worst leadership in a disaster..ever..

Thousands of people are going to die because New Orleans has no help.

All I can do is pray...pray that someone in the government understands that this is bad...that this is very very bad..

Let us not forget that if the media can get in there (with their well-fed and well-clothed AND VERY WELL PAID personalities replete with makeup) they can get aid in there as well instead of doing nothing except promoting chaos and a total lack of order. These are massive corporations that can get people in there (some of which were there after the Hurricane), so why can't they help? I'm just a little irked with the media right now, especially NBC. Those beotchs.

I don't wish to infuriate anyone, but I think I'm privy to the knowledge involving the logistics of the region at least as well as anyone. If I'm insulting or abrasive, I apologize, but fact is fact.

The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway is gone, completely. The Airport has intermittent power and therefore can't run air traffic control, so its on minimal functions. I-10 is completely gone for several miles around the LA/MS border. Other sections of the highway are completely impassible with debris all over the place. The port of New Orleans is completely clogged with damaged small boats and even much larger ships. Transportation in and out of the city is virtually on lockdown because of the logistical problems involved with trying to move on ground or on water.

Now the air... I touched base with NO International (and I'm fairly certain that the Lakefront NO airport is completely gone). The Air Force has landed a number of aircraft at the In'tl Airport and is attempting to get supplies to the city, but crossing the canals and getting into the city is extremely difficult, and once they get into the city, they face the bedlam that NO has become.

It is impossible to airlift food directly into the city. Dropping multi-ton packages of food and water would crush and kill people (as it did in Iraq which forced suspensions of such missions). Those planes and helicopters that can get in for means of evacuation and immediate relief come under fire from rampant gangs. I am by no means saying that the government and armed forces are infallible and working at peak performance (by God they aren't), but the obstacles they're facing are too numerous to speak of. There are as many as 100,000 in the NO area (between the river and the lake) and it's an absolute logistical nightmare to try to get as many out as possible and help the others who can't immediately be taken out. It's awful. Altogether.

You are making excuses for the government. W. NO is dry, there are bridges going there and they can drive buses to the superdome. It isn't a question of access. It is a question of incompetence, uncaring, and being too focused on a foreign war to worry much about NO until it is too late.

The 50% to 60% reduction of the National Guard and its resources to fight the Iraq war has severely hurt the ability of the government to respond to a crisis such as this which is exactly what is happening.

The question I have is in regards to all the footage being broadcast from helicopters. During this time of emergency, could the news broadcasters offer use of their copters for rescue efforts? Desperate times...

For once, could they put their own journalistic ambitions aside and lend a helping hand to those who are experiencing abolute misery!? The hubris...

And you sound like you work for CNN, frankly.

Do you think people don't care? If you hate Bush so much then that's fine--hate his policies, but don't accuse another human being of being so careless as to dismiss thousands of lives unless you can say that PERSONALLY you know they think that. That is inconcievable to me.

I simply stated everything that I know FOR FACT regarding the Air Force and Air National Guard's role in helping out in this disaster and what I have been told via family that works for the Air Force. I'm not making excuses. If they can't get to the people then THEY JUST CAN'T DO IT. America doesn't have vast stockpiles of bottled water and canned non-perishables waiting around in case a hurricane strikes---especially not enough for 100,000's of people spread out over an area twice the size of Virginia. The whole issue isn't NO, and while what has happened there is horrendous, parts of MS are far far worse. Aid has to go there as well. And to Mobile Bay. And up into central MS. It's a far-reaching problem, we only see the violence and issues in NO because the media can't get shots of the problems in rural MS.

If we're going to continue this line of pointing fingers then I will continue to state that it is the LA governor's fault. She could've given a direct order to have contraflow on all LA highways much much longer before the storm and hell, frankly, if we can get people out now by the busload then we could've done it BEFORE THE STORM AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN TRY. She just asked people watching CNN to pray. F*** that. Lend the same buses being borrowed now to get the people out BEFORE the storm. Mandatory evacuations never seem to be mandatory... so FORCE people out. If they refuse then frankly let them live with the ramifications and give them aid when possible. Don't break-neck or put soldiers/FEMA workers' lives at risk to save those who didn't leave. There are so many many many countless things that went wrong here, both with the people and with the local, state and federal government. Honestly, I'd lay the most blame on the state level. The just screwed over half their residents.

The question I have is in regards to all the footage being broadcast from helicopters. During this time of emergency, could the news broadcasters offer use of their copters for rescue efforts? Desperate times...

For once, could they put their own journalistic ambitions aside and lend a helping hand to those who are experiencing abolute misery!?  The hubris...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A darn good proposition! Too bad CNN, NBC, etc are making boatloads off improved ratings with a storm, so why would they end the thing that's raking in the cash? I am sure that they care, but the heads of the news media that sit up in their pretty Atlanta or NY offices aren't down there in NO and are more oriented towards ratings than actually doing something to help out.

I can't say I'm particularly impressed with the disaster relief effort, but I'm not sure it's quite the time yet for pointing fingers. I just hope the National Guard can control some of the chaos....I'm sure it must be extremely difficult to get supplies in. What I really wonder about is why we haven't commandeered cruise ships and used them for temporary housing. The Queen Mary, Galaxy, Rotterdam and many, many other ships could be requisitioned from Carnival Cruise Corp. and used for housing both refugees and the workers who will surely have to live somewhere in order to rebuild the city. Mickey Arison where are you?

NCB So glad you are ok. Please keep us imform.

I am so upset on how things are being handle down there, but I am going to nice and not vent here.

Bush cut 72 Million from budget last year for levees in New Orleans.

I do not know how may cuts have been made over the years, but shows how some people can be insensitive to some problems. But the problems goes back years.

Ok I'll stop.

Good point about the cruise ships. Again only the federal govt could do something like this, and of course they haven't. Amazingly they have decided to send an Aircraft carrier to NO like that is going to a rats ass good for anyone. It won't even get there for 5 days.

About the earlier comment about me and CNN. Go read my criticism of CNN in the coffeehouse. :rolleyes:

Like I said, I'll say again. Refer to "The end of New Orleans)

The federal government was :

-responsible for the levee .

-responsible for the cutbacks in the Army Corp of Engineers and their studies of a CAT 5 hurricane.

I showed an article of the Republican governor of Arkansas raising issues about the National Guard being stretched to thin if natural disaster was to strike.

Taking that in account, the federal government has a lot more stake in the blame than the state could ever claim. I didn't even bring in the mixed priorities of the Bush administration (Iraq, tax cuts, etc)

Ok I'll stop. Maybe.

Like I said, I'll say again.  Refer to "The end of New Orleans)

The federal government was :

-responsible for the levee . 

-responsible for the cutbacks in the Army Corp of Engineers and their studies of a CAT 5 hurricane.

I showed an article of the Republican governor of Arkansas raising issues about the National Guard being stretched to thin if natural disaster was to strike.

Taking that in account, the federal government has a lot more stake in the blame than the state could ever claim.  I didn't even bring in the mixed priorities of the Bush administration (Iraq, tax cuts, etc)

Ok I'll stop. Maybe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So we've brought this up at least 4 or 5 times in the last few hours and where are we now? Same place. The Federal government may have fault in the preparedness, but the loss of life falls squarely on the shoulders of the state government that waited so long to act, and when it did it did too little. I think all parties acted poorly, but given who did what, the Feds did better.

Archived