Grrreenville Grrrowl

g-man430

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a throng of people clad in Purple, Gold, Silver, and Black on the front steps of the Bi-Lo Center this evening, along with Grrruff, waving to cars and cameras alike, pleading with people to honk to show their support. Of course, I honked. Looks like this TBD guy has been busy.

Another idea for the Grrrowl, they need some sort of prescense on Main St.: ticket office, video clips on a plasma screen of games, merchandise selling etc., something for folks strolling down Main to pop in and take a low pressure look at the team and be reminded that they are there.

Perhaps both the Grrrowl and the Drive could benefit from a ticket sales kiosk somewhere near Piazza Bergamo on Main Street as well as near Falls Park / RiverPlace. You could walk up, pick your dates/seats, insert a credit card, have the tickets printed out (with either no or very little service fee), pocket them, and walk away without having to make the special trip to the Bi-Lo Center, West End Field, or incur the huge service charges by ordering them online.

There was a throng of people clad in Purple, Gold, Silver, and Black on the front steps of the Bi-Lo Center this evening, along with Grrruff, waving to cars and cameras alike, pleading with people to honk to show their support. Of course, I honked. Looks like this TBD guy has been busy.

Perhaps both the Grrrowl and the Drive could benefit from a ticket sales kiosk somewhere near Piazza Bergamo on Main Street as well as near Falls Park / RiverPlace. You could walk up, pick your dates/seats, insert a credit card, have the tickets printed out (with either no or very little service fee), pocket them, and walk away without having to make the special trip to the Bi-Lo Center, West End Field, or incur the huge service charges by ordering them online.

Great idea about the kiosks, RT! I totally agree. I am very excited that the team will likely have another shot at staying and being successful!

I wonder if it would help for the team to pick a new name and re-market themselves? Basically, this would be like starting over. Ideally, the people who are already fans would know that it was still the Grrrowl in repackaged form, and those who didn't would be intrigued and check it out. Because the current appeal isn't working, whether it's because of ticket prices, or perceived entertainment value, or convenience. I suppose that this suggestion stems from my dislike of the Grrrowl name. The logo is cool, but why on earth do we need to misspell it that way? What's worst is that NYTransplant has noted the difficulty in new fans finding the team's website due to the strange spelling. Oh well, just a thought. What do you guys think?

I also think it highlights the need to connect the Bi-Lo Center to the rest of downtown. While this is obviously not possible in the immediate future, it is something that should be looked at. It might be difficult with all of the office buildings and parking garages on Beattie Place, but it is a shame that such a pretty road is not more well-traveled. In fact, that is one of my favorite parts of downtown, coming in from I-385. There has to be a way to make it walkable, especially if more "cool" areas just beyond it are developed.

Great input, everyone!

What about a short weekly TV and/or radio show that is hosted/co-hosted by John Marks, with player highlights and guests related to the ECHL and NHL to give input on the game of hockey?

Or perhaps a promotional DVD or CD that highlights the Grrrowl's existence in Greenville and the type of fun it gives as a family, group, or individual destination. Play this DVD in a stationary kiosk in the West End, where fans of baseball or leisure visitors of Falls Park will catch the excitement of the game.

We also could use a store on Main Street that sells local and regional team gear - a one-stop shop for all of your local teams' souvenirs and apparel. Plus, have players in on occasion to sign autographs.

Kiosks? did someone mention a kiosk? :lol:

Speaking with a few friends in Spartanburg yesterday, they mentioned that there ought to be billboard ads and places to buy Grrrowl Gear and Drive apparel over there.

Kiosks? did someone mention a kiosk? :lol:

Speaking with a few friends in Spartanburg yesterday, they mentioned that there ought to be billboard ads and places to buy Grrrowl Gear and Drive apparel over there.

Yea, but I took it a whole different direction. :P J/K.

Seriously though, wouldn't it be great if you could just walk up to a kiosk after dinner downtown and purchase your tickets for tomorrow night's game rather than walking (or driving) all the way over to the Bi-Lo Center to avoid the high service charge that Ticketmaster, etc. add onto online purchases? Or...am I the only Ed Vedder of the bunch here?

As for the Grrrowl and Drive Apparel, the two teams should get together and open a retail store in Spartanburg and Anderson, or at the very least explore the idea. Another opportunity to sell tickets locally to folks without them incurring an online service charge or a long drive to a ticket window.

Do any sporting goods stores in our area sell Drive and/or Grrrowl merchandise? I know that there is a Drive store next to the ballpark, but obviously no specific team shops for the Grrrowl. If someone goes to Dick's or Sports Authority, can they obtain Drive or Grrrowl gear? If not, it might be nice if there were at least a couple of racks of local team merchandise.

I really like the kiosk idea for tickets!

Love the kiosk idea RT!!! :thumbsup: Would be a great initiative for the city....four or five of them in high traffic areas of town. I could see them being more than just Grrrowl and Drive tickets. Add Zoo tickets, Peace Center events, restaurant reservations for downtown, etc. ie: Epcot

Do any sporting goods stores in our area sell Drive and/or Grrrowl merchandise? I know that there is a Drive store next to the ballpark, but obviously no specific team shops for the Grrrowl. If someone goes to Dick's or Sports Authority, can they obtain Drive or Grrrowl gear? If not, it might be nice if there were at least a couple of racks of local team merchandise.

I really like the kiosk idea for tickets!

Oddly enough, the Wal-Mart in Travelers Rest sells Greenville Drive Merchandise at an area in the middle of the check stands. :rolleyes:

Love the kiosk idea RT!!! :thumbsup: Would be a great initiative for the city....four or five of them in high traffic areas of town. I could see them being more than just Grrrowl and Drive tickets. Add Zoo tickets, Peace Center events, restaurant reservations for downtown, etc. ie: Epcot

The kiosk thing is Skylner's idea, but I think we've all adopted it and have added suggestions to it along the way. I just think that using it to sell tickets to these attractions would be a great utilitarian use of such a thing. Zoo Tickets, Peace Center events, other theatres, etc. - all great ideas, too. We can make the most of such a thing probably better than just about any other city I can think of. :yahoo:

Excellent news about the Grrrowl! I just noticed on their website that the Grrrowl logo has Greenville spelled with 3 r's (Grrreenville), while the text in the site's announcement has Greenville spelled correctly. Perhaps one of the team's first marketing efforts will involve bringing some consistency regarding matters like this. A casual observer might wonder if they really care about the city, considering that they aren't even consistent in their spelling of their home city's name!

Archived