Grrreenville Grrrowl

g-man430

In the end, it's all about getting bottoms in the seats. If they are on the ice next year again, they need to launch a relentless effort to get people in the building for the games. Slashing ticket prices, at least on certain nights, would go a long way toward getting me in the building. Once I'm in there, I'm sure I'll spend more...I always do. I suspect I'm not alone.

Totally agree, RT! The money will be made once people are inside the door. This team needs to be marketed all over the Upstate. Why not sell Grrrowl Gear in select stores outside both the Bi-Lo Center and even the City of Greenville? Put billboard ads up in other cities as well. Turn tickets into coupons for discounts at a wide variety of places, and try to get more businesses involved in the marketing of Greenville's - and the Upstate's - hockey team. We need more fans to SHOW their pride! I see Clemson and USC apparel everywhere I go, but this is Greenville's premiere pro sports team, and is a fantastic atmosphere for enjoyment. :thumbsup:

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody know how often affiliations between these ECHL/etc. minor league and the NHL teams change? Is there any chance at all that the Grrrowl could change their associations to be affiliated with the Atlanta Thrashers and Carolina Hurricanes instead of the Edmonton Oilers and Chicago Blackhawks?

Also, let's take a few days to use this thread as a place to brainstorm and then maybe we could forward this thread to the Grrrowl Management the same way we did the Drive Thread with the Drive Management. We've alredy floated a few ideas out there already.

What would YOU like to see the Grrrowl do to increase the chances you'll go to the games and to improve your experience once you're there?

I think that attendance will definitely increase if they come back, even without any more publicity than the team did this year... People know that they can and will leave if they have to and I think the public will come and support for that reason. It's now like having a new team and starting over. and in a sense we are starting over. So, add the advertising into the mix and i think that we'll see crowds up to mark of the Grrrowl's early years.. :thumbsup:

This has been stated by a few people previously, but one thing I'd definitely like to see is the upper bowl opened up as $5 or $6 General Admission Seating for all home games.

The idea that Skyliner mentioned above about being able to turn in your ticket stubs for discounts at local restaurants or other establishments after the games would be great, too! This is something that is done by the Greenville Drive and it seems to be successful, from what I can tell.

I'd like to see more cross-promotion between the Greenville Drive and the Greenville Grrowl during the parts of their respective seasons that overlap one another. That'd be great! You can use your Drive ticket stub to get half-price Reserved Seating admission at the Grrrowl game or vice versa, etc., something along those lines. Maybe a photo shoot for advertisements, community events, etc. featuring both mascots, side-by-side. The sky's the limit with cross-promotional opportunities.

More promotions, more community involvement, less ticket and food prices, more advertisement. You know, the works. They actually had the Grrrowl mascot at some of the Drive games earlier this year. I would also like to see more cross-promotions between the Drive and the Grrrowl.

1. Agree, cross promotion between the Drive and Grrrowl. Have Reedy Rip 'It and Gruff at each other's arenas.

2. Have Coach John Marks or other Hockey folks at Drive games, and vice versa, say throwing out the first pitch and autograph sessions in the kid's zone.

3. Have tickets/promotions at local Bi-Lo stores. People need to see and be reminded of the Grrrowl everytime they shop there. In fact, have cross promotions that if Bonus Card customers reach a certain level/spend a certain amount, etc. they get free Grrrowl tickets.

4. Have an exhibition game in October between the Atlanta Thrashers and the Carolina Hurricanes at the Bi-Lo Center. Use the Hurricanes success this year (and probable Stanley Cup win) to gather interest in the club.

5. Make sure that Grrrowl officials speak often to communtiy groups like the Rotary, Lions, Chamber of Commerce, etc.

6. Yes, have the upper bowl be sold as $5 tickets and make sure that fans who sit there are recognized as a cheerleader type/ family friendly section.

7. Continue to have mascot/player appearences at schools and community groups. Use that to teach basic hockey, etc.

8. Rent/ purchase with the Drive the Main St. trolley to run spectators between Main St. and the Bil-Lo Center

Long term: build another county ice skating rink for use as the Grrrowl's primary practice rink, perhaps as part of the community rec. complex that will be integrated into the Conestee project on the Municipal Stadium site's parking lots.

Great input, everyone!

What about a short weekly TV and/or radio show that is hosted/co-hosted by John Marks, with player highlights and guests related to the ECHL and NHL to give input on the game of hockey?

Or perhaps a promotional DVD or CD that highlights the Grrrowl's existence in Greenville and the type of fun it gives as a family, group, or individual destination. Play this DVD in a stationary kiosk in the West End, where fans of baseball or leisure visitors of Falls Park will catch the excitement of the game.

We also could use a store on Main Street that sells local and regional team gear - a one-stop shop for all of your local teams' souvenirs and apparel. Plus, have players in on occasion to sign autographs.

At this point, I doubt anything is certain, but I would hope beyond all hope that he returns to Greenville for however long the Grrrowl remain a part of the city. He had told reporters recently that Greenville would be his last team before retirement. I do also recall that he seemed shocked and somewhat nervous about the apparent collapse of the Grrrowl a couple of weeks ago, saying that it would be very difficult to find a job at his age and with his limited abilities beyond coaching hockey. John Marks, we love you man, and hope you return to Greenville, your ONLY home until retirement!!! :D

One of the above posts had a prediction that attendance will rise because people know the team will be forced to leave if the fan support isn't there. Immediately, I thought, "Do many people care if the team leaves?" Are people not going because ticket prices are too high, and/or they don't know enough about the team? Or do people know about it, and simply do not care? I would like to think that better adversiting and improved promotions will draw more fans to the games. The question is, how tough a sell is the average Greenvillian when it comes to minor league hockey? I DO think that the potential is there for the Grrrowl to be successful in Greenville. Even people who have never been to a hockey game in their lives can become devoted fans. That is where the marketing comes in. Here's the way I see it:

Step 1: Create awareness. Let the public know that there is a minor league hockey team in town. Commercials, billboards, etc. are important. Try to get the Greenville News and a few local radio stations to jump on board.

Step 2: Provide information. How much are tickets? What special packages and promotions are available? Is hockey family friendly? Is it fun? Do I have to know a lot about hockey to enjoy it?

Step 3: Make the sell. Why should I go see a Grrrowl game instead of spending my time and money another way? How does it benefit me? Will a Grrrowl game be 3 hours I will never get back?

I still think having a free admission night that is heavily promoted (this means more than on the sign in front of the arena) would expose the team to people who might not have gone otherwise.

Some thoughts:

1. Agree with whitehourseview about promoting through Bi-Lo. It is the Bi-Lo Center after all. Have small Grrrowl "shops" in Bi-Lo selling merchandise with the team logo, offer discount tickets, the Bonus Card idea per whitehourseview, bring two canned goods of a Bi-Lo store brand to the game and get in for half price (food is donated to food bank), etc. The Bi-Lo connection could really played up.....and who in Greenville doesn't go to Bi-Lo?? This has major marketing potential!

2. Market more to families to help bring in mothers, sisters, daughters.....females. At recent Drive games, I've met single moms with kids, a group of single college girls, a single female dropping by after work, etc. Females attend the baseball game because it's social, it's not just watching a sport. At the Grrrowl, I've seen far fewer of this segment of the population. Fewer families (especially with small children). Fewer females. The Grrrowl is missing the family togetherness, softer side of marketing.

3. Turn the Bi-Lo Center INSIDE OUT! Bi-Lo Center sits at the prime entrance to downtown and the traffic count at this intersection is probably among the highest in downtown (in Greenville for that matter). Yet when you drive by on game nights and see people going in, they could be going to a concert for all you know (unless you're lucky enough to time it right and catch the game announcement on the marquee). Look at the large area on that corner....get some activity going on pre-game OUTSIDE. Have artist create 20 foot tall ice sculptures of the Grrrowl mascot. Have grills set-up and sell food. A pre game band, music. Have the mascot out front waving to people and doing silly antics. Have a drive by "pucking"......cars are randomly stopped and given a Grrrowl logo hockey puck. The Grrrowl needs to break through the barrier walls of the Bi-Lo Center and get in touch with the city.

4. I agree 100% with lower ticket prices and the general admission of the upper level.

5. Start the build-up and announcements about the new season well in advance, in off season. Have an ice carnival for families to meet the upcoming Grrrowl team on a 90 degree off season day.

Some thoughts:

3. Turn the Bi-Lo Center INSIDE OUT! Bi-Lo Center sits at the prime entrance to downtown and the traffic count at this intersection is probably among the highest in downtown (in Greenville for that matter). Yet when you drive by on game nights and see people going in, they could be going to a concert for all you know (unless you're lucky enough to time it right and catch the game announcement on the marquee). Look at the large area on that corner....get some activity going on pre-game OUTSIDE. Have artist create 20 foot tall ice sculptures of the Grrrowl mascot. Have grills set-up and sell food. A pre game band, music. Have the mascot out front waving to people and doing silly antics. Have a drive by "pucking"......cars are randomly stopped and given a Grrrowl logo hockey puck. The Grrrowl needs to break through the barrier walls of the Bi-Lo Center and get in touch with the city.

This drive-by pucking is an excellent idea! Not only a Grrrowl Logo Hockey Puck, but perhaps x number of general admission tickets to tonight's game (provided the occupants of the vehicle aren't already going to the game).

Another idea - why not have more pink Grrrowl Logo Merchandise for the women and girls? This seems to be working very well for the Drive. I can see it now: Pink Pucks, Pink Shirts, Pink Hats, Pink Sticks, Pink Pennants, Pink replicas of the Kelly Cup, etc.

A good idea, I always thought the plaza entrance to the Bi-Lo Center was under utilized.

This drive-by pucking is an excellent idea! Not only a Grrrowl Logo Hockey Puck, but perhaps x number of general admission tickets to tonight's game (provided the occupants of the vehicle aren't already going to the game).

Stop a car and ask to see their Grrrowl (or however you spell it :angry: ) tickets. If they've got tickets give'em a puck, if they don't, give'em the tickets. :D

Oh and by the way, if you haven't heard me say it before, if you can't correctly misspell Growl, you can't find the team's web site. How about we change the name. <_<

Stop a car and ask to see their Grrrowl (or however you spell it :angry: ) tickets. If they've got tickets give'em a puck, if they don't, give'em the tickets. :D

Oh and by the way, if you haven't heard me say it before, if you can't correctly misspell Growl, you can't find the team's web site. How about we change the name. <_<

What do you mean? I just typed Greenville Growl into Google and the Grrrowl were the first thing that came up. Not saying that I've ever been crazy about the name mind you...

If they do change the name from Grrrowl, then perhaps they could use one of the GREAT names considered by the folks who came up with Drive, like Hominy, Chitlins, Shrimp 'N Grits, Live Bait, etc. :lol:

(I know they weren't quite that bad in reality, but they were close!)

I like "Greenville Glide" myself. It just screams hockey/skating.

What do you mean by that? If the team stays, we go and support them, no matter who is in the saddle. I hope Coach Marks doesn't move away from Greenville. I really enjoyed running into him at downtown restaurants on occasion. As the article says, he carries a large presence and is easily respectable. It would indeed be a loss for the Greenville community, but I wish him the greatest of success wherever he lands. :thumbsup::cry:

It's just I thought John Marks was a great coach and he was here for a long time. It owuld be sad to see him go, but I would still go to the games no matter who the coach is.

Oh yeah, one more thing: THERE'S A HURRICANE WARNING IN EFFECT FOR EDMONTON, ALBERTA, CANADA. LET'S GO CANES!!!!

bgicon.jpg

It's just I thought John Marks was a great coach and he was here for a long time. It owuld be sad to see him go, but I would still go to the games no matter who the coach is. Oh yeah, one more thing: THERE'S A HURRICANE WARNING IN EFFECT FOR RALEIGH, NC. LET'S GO CANES!!!!

Isn't that warning in effect for Edmonton, Alberta, Canada? :lol:

Archived