Hard Scrabble Road

krazeeboi

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree they need to put Hard Scrabble on priority. Perhaps the Clemson extension to Killian/I-77 will help a little, but at least the portion from Farrow to Clemson needs to be 4 lanes yesterday.

My commute actually isn't too bad, since I work around Fontaine/Farrow/277, and work 7am-5pm 4 days a week (1/2 day Fridays), but I know after 7am it's bad, and not too long after 5pm. I've also lived in Chicago and Washington, DC, so I know what REALLY BAD traffic is like, so my perceptions my not be consistent with those used to Columbia's traffic levels.

The thing that scares me the most is the inevitable additional development along Hard Scrabble, particularly as Lake Carolina grows from 1,000 homes today to 3,500 homes eventually, and whatever other subdivisions and commercial properties pop up along the corridor (there is a LOT of land that can be developed).

I'd like to see how the Clemson extension affects traffic patterns. However, as you get further north towards the Kelly Mill Rd and Langford Rd/Crickentree areas, I-77 becomes a less desirable alternative, as you have to traverse a few miles east to get to those areas, so widening Hard Scrabble will still be necessary soon.

I find road etymology interesting, particularly for ones with unique names like that.

As far as Richland County's roads go, I have this information:

One source of funding for Rochland County's roads is through C-Funds. This money comes from a gas tax of 2.66

• 1 month later...

I grew up around Clemson/Hardscrabble area and went to Ridge View when i was in high school.....I remember when there wasn nothing but a regular stop sign at that intersection....the only thing there was the food lion. It has changed alot, and Clemson Road is growing again, making the rest of it 4 lanes all the way to Killian rd; it's kinda disturbing to see some of the residences' yards gobbled up, the front door is like 2 steps away from where the road will eventually be. But Hardscrabble not only should be widened from Farrow to Clemson....it also needs to be widened after that all the way down past Lake Carolina.....now that Blythewood High has opened the Ridge View traffic isnt that bad but it still is bad, and is only getting worse. That petition is going around to several businesses so I'm hoping something will be done soon.....

• 2 weeks later...

hardscrabble needs to be widened. there is alot of traffic traveling down hardscrabble rd, they need to do some planning, cause rush hr traffic is ridiculous. another suggestion i think in a couple more years they are going to need to add another lane to I-26 traveling downtown as far as newberry, 5 oclock traffic is getting out of control, the traffic swells so quickly!!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

after over a year, i drove down hardscrabble a few days ago.....it was a nightmare! Talk about horrible planning.....its still a two lane rd! And on top of the traffic, there is literally like 7 auto shops right next to each other and across the street! It was very disgusting.....then a bunch of tiny shopping centers with just 2 and 3 lots each. It was awful!

after over a year, i drove down hardscrabble a few days ago.....it was a nightmare! Talk about horrible planning.....its still a two lane rd! And on top of the traffic, there is literally like 7 auto shops right next to each other and across the street! It was very disgusting.....then a bunch of tiny shopping centers with just 2 and 3 lots each. It was awful!

Archived