West End Field

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they do have a concert at West End Field coming up on July 3rd....i believe it was Little Big Town, nothing i will personally attend but at least they're trying it and maybe different and better shows will come up.

I saw Keller Williams and Edwin McCain perform at West End Field last year. It is a fantastic venue for large outdoor concerts. :shades:

• 1 month later...

I know I've mentioned the idea of some form of public art being installed at the entrance plazas at West End Field previously, but I noticed the other day that gsupstate had posted this photo over in the West Region PotD thread:

DSC01949.jpg

This is the very sort of thing that I could see at West End Field, oddly enough. There are two of these sculptures at PGE Park in Portland, Oregon. They're called, "Facing the Crowd," and were created by artist Michael Stutz. More details.

Although this is very cool, there's one example of sculpture that I feel would be more fitting for the Main Street Entrance Plaza:

ToledoIMG_7666w.jpg

This is called "Who's Up," and is by artist, Emanuel H. Enriquez. More details.

• 2 weeks later...

I like that second one, harkens back to the "olden days" of baseball and seems it would fit in with what the drive are trying to do by connecting with the mill leagues.

On another note, one problem I have with West end Field is that it sits vacant for 6 months in the off season. Other towns I've lived in used the minor league parks as concert venues, etc. it the off season. Charleston even uses there's for a beerfest ever year. I'd like to see more non-baseball related use out of it. It would help bring people to that side of town even in the winter months.

I like that second one, harkens back to the "olden days" of baseball and seems it would fit in with what the drive are trying to do by connecting with the mill leagues.

On another note, one problem I have with West end Field is that it sits vacant for 6 months in the off season. Other towns I've lived in used the minor league parks as concert venues, etc. it the off season. Charleston even uses there's for a beerfest ever year. I'd like to see more non-baseball related use out of it. It would help bring people to that side of town even in the winter months.

I think you guys are crazy on the first sculpture, the knot hole gang one is ok.

To the other six months, we are looking at opening the 500 Club for Monday Night Football or Thursday Night Football. We are also thinking about opening up one day a week for lunch. There will also be a big Halloween Party and something during the Christmas Holiday.

We will never get to concerts or full time use, it just doesn't fit the business model.

I think you guys are crazy on the first sculpture, the knot hole gang one is ok.

Just imagine the fun you could have with that first one at Halloween... :lol: Good point though...don't want to scare the fans away.

To the other six months, we are looking at opening the 500 Club for Monday Night Football or Thursday Night Football.

That'd be pretty cool. Perhaps it'd be cool to host a Clemson-USC Football Viewing party at the 500 Club, too? That could be fun. Maybe even something for the Major League playoffs and World Series? Perhaps even the Superbowl?

To the other six months, we are looking at opening the 500 Club for Monday Night Football or Thursday Night Football. We are also thinking about opening up one day a week for lunch. There will also be a big Halloween Party and something during the Christmas Holiday.

We will never get to concerts or full time use, it just doesn't fit the business model.

I thought the Drive had concerts last September/ October?

Would there ever be any thought to using suites for receptions/ birthday parties in the off season?

• 5 months later...

Ducked into ESPN Zone Sunday in Chicago to watch the AFC Championship and have a few beers. Thought this was cool. A Wrigley Field model built from Wrigley gum wrappers. While this was an easy one, it made me think what could be done along the same creative vein with West End Field.....local bakeries do gingerbread West End Fields during the holidays? School kids create West End Field out or Reedy River rock? A chefs competition between all the downtown restaurants to create West End Field out of food/deserts. Silly I know, but kind of fun. :lol: Ideas???

DSC03963.jpg

DSC03960.jpg

• 2 months later...

West End Field is going to be extremely busy this year. Not only will nine college programs play at the field, including Michigan State, Clemson, South Carolina, Furman, Tennessee, Presbyterian, Quinnipiac, Bluefield State, and Morehouse, as well as the Team USA National team against Chinese-Taipai, but younger players will be taking the field as well.

The "Road To The Big League World Series Begins At Fluor Field At The West End". The ballpark is going to be home to a tournament which will crown the State Champion of the Big League in SC to send to the regional in Florida. Proceeds from the ticket sales will go to help pay for the travel of the winning team to Florida. The event will be held July 8-10th.

Right now, districts 6 & 7 are in, and they're hoping to add 2, 3, 4, and 5 to the competition.

Link: Our Sports Central

"We are pleased to be hosting this game at Fluor Field at the West End," commented Drive General Manager Mike deMaine. "Our ballpark will serve as the starting point for both of these teams, with hopes of one of them keeping the world title in the state of South Carolina."

This should mean some tourism bucks flowing into downtown Greenville, as well as exposure!

Since the opening of West End Field...oops, I mean Fluor Field, when I travel, I have been checking out other cities ballparks and comparing. I'm in Memphis tonight and just walked by their ballpark, Auto Zone Park. It's downtown just across from The Peabody. Must say, Flour Field still blows most away. Auto Zone Park is much larger....they tried to make it historic looking, but it still doesn't seem to have the character of Fluor Field. Since I haven't been to a game at Auto Zone Park, attending a game may change my opinion, but simply the way it addresses the street and the rest of the city, Fluor Field still shines as number one in my book.

http://www.ballparkwatch.com/visits/memphis.htm

Since the opening of West End Field...oops, I mean Fluor Field, when I travel, I have been checking out other cities ballparks and comparing. I'm in Memphis tonight and just walked by their ballpark, Auto Zone Park. It's downtown just across from The Peabody. Must say, Flour Field still blows most away. Auto Zone Park is much larger....they tried to make it historic looking, but it still doesn't seem to have the character of Fluor Field. Since I haven't been to a game at Auto Zone Park, attending a game may change my opinion, but simply the way it addresses the street and the rest of the city, Fluor Field still shines as number one in my book.

http://www.ballparkwatch.com/visits/memphis.htm

It is my understanding that Memphis is considered the standard by which minor league parks are measured. Lots of folks in the know consider it one of the best baseball parks period, not just minors.

As far as the comparison between it and West End Field goes, well it is a comparison between a Single A and a AAA facility, so there is that to consider. The Greensboro, NC park is probably the closest comparison in the region to Fluor Field.

Major League baseball will play an annual "Civil Rights Game" at the Memphis park. This Saturday, the New York Mets and the Chicago White Sox will play an exhibition game there.

I still wish Fluor Field had a few thousand more seats, so it could make a serious run at bringing the ACC tournament back to Greenville.

It is my understanding that Memphis is considered the standard by which minor league parks are measured. Lots of folks in the know consider it one of the best baseball parks period, not just minors.

Exactly the point. I'm sure a game in the Memphis ballpark is a great experience, but the way the structure addresses the street, the look of the structure, character, etc, Fluor Field has it beat. Fluor Field is holding its own with the best of them. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I was just examining several baseball schedules and it looks like Fluor Field shall have another great season. In addition to the Drive's games, the ballpark will host several College games:

March 11: Clemson VS Michigan State

March 18: Furman VS South Carolina

May 6: Furman VS Clemson

May 20: Southern Conference Baseball Tournament

A good year for Fluor Field, also means a good year for the West End, and downtown in general! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived