The Watering Hole

I'm having a hard time finding Humboldt Fog (cheese) - anyone have any ideas? Tried Cascade D&W, Forest Hills Foods, Martha's Vineyard and Art of the Table with no luck.

Other places to try would be GB Russo on 29th St or DeReuze in Grandville. Or just buy it direct: http://www.cypressgrovechevre.com/shop/product.asp?P_ID=134

Edited by twoshort

The billboard (one of those electronic ones with three faces) at Fulton and 131 is stuck halfway between two of the ads. So there's one visible for Aquinas pitching an educational program (with the face of a co-ed, obviously intent on making something of herself and her life) contrasted with...the other end of the career spectrum, Tini Bikinis.

It's amusing, actually. (Left the camera at home!)

Edited by Veloise

Yea! I am back after a week long suspension!

Now for the important stuff! I wanted to remind everyone that the Annual Heritage Hill Home Tour is the first weekend of October and for the first time; you can get your tickets on line, at the office, or several stores in the area!

Yea! I am back after a week long suspension!

Now for the important stuff! I wanted to remind everyone that the Annual Heritage Hill Home Tour is the first weekend of October and for the first time; you can get your tickets on line, at the office, or several stores in the area!

Welcome back! I didn't even know you were suspended. :dontknow:

Wait you were suspended? Holy cow man, what ever did you do? :huh:

Well, in response to your question, I was suspended for this post:

Well, based on post numbers 8, 12, and 17 you eluded to the idea that he was leaving and took interest in it. If you had no intention to express one opinion or another, then why did you post three times in this thread, then feel the need to challenge me when I asked others (in general) why?

In post #5, Charlotte native commented on

Well, in response to your question, I was suspended for this post:

In this thread... http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Gonzalez-t41623.html

I just hope that I don't get suspend again for answering a question.

wow, unless I missed something (I just skimmed the posts) metro was kinda out of line but he is an admin so....

Actually you were suspended for making the following crude phrase in an open thread:

"Maybe it is you who should stop going off topic, stop the personal attacks, and start being a more politically open minded participant on this board."

I would also likely have suspended you for such a comment out in the open. None of the moderators or administrators on this site are out to get anyone and it just fuels the fire to make such comments as you just did, "I just hope that I don't get suspend again for answering a question."

What is done is done so I would advise all to move on and leave any suspension behind you and start anew. The correct way in handling the original issue that got you suspended in the first place would have been to contact monsoon via a PM yet you chose to challenge an administrator in a public post, something of which has clearly been defined in our rules for a couple of years now.

Now back to the topic at hand...or the off-topic... :P

Soooo, this power outage sucks... Anyone else being effected by it? I'm taking an early lunch in hopes when I get back to work the power will be back on

Don't worry, more storms on the way right now, with 40 mph winds :unsure: :

web_loop_radar8.jpg

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2...mp;nav=0Rcf0Q5z

But is sounds like it will blow through by mid-evening, hopefully in time for tonight's COG events.

Other than GVSU's Continuing Ed program, does anybody know a place in town that does a crash course in Japanese? Just need to learn some basics.

There is a company in town called "Languages International". Find them here: LI

They teach several languages including Japanese. They essentially contract out teachers, so it could take a few weeks or longer to find someone...IF they currently do not have someone.

I have taken several Portuguese classes there and recommend them.

Give them a call, they can design a class to fit your needs; emphasis on reading, writing, speaking...

Edited by john_denver

I just wanted to say "thanks" for keeping me up to date on most everything going on in GR. I just returned from a visit to GR this past week and I realize I know more about what is going on than my family. I did the bridge crossings walk on Labor Day, saw the new JW at night (impressive!), checked out "Pill Hill" (gawked at it, is more like it), took my 86 y.o. dad for lunch at the Urban Mill (we have been there before, but he doesn't go there by himself), looked at the improvements along Wealthy, unsuccessfully looked for the new co-housing development near Heritage Hill (where is it?), and am still disappointed for the lack of any major improvements or new approaches to development in Cascade (where I grew up after the age of 10 and where my dad still lives).

Also, I took a trip to Ludington, which I haven't seen in decades. Very nice! The strip development is horrible leading to the city, but once you cross the city boundary, it's a charming place with a cute little downtown. They even have a grocery store on main street and the city beach/park is awesome. I also checked out the Grand Theater condos in downtown Grand Haven. I think if I was retiring soon, I would have bought one on the spot (well, after I sold my current home). Can't say I care much for the Grand Landing development just on US 31. I realize they aren't finished, but seeing the Culver's and Jimmy Johns set up like any other suburban drive up restaurants didn't impress me. Why not put the businesses right up along the sidewalks and put the parking off to the side or back?

Anyway, thanks for all the information and the great weather I enjoyed while there! :rolleyes:

Gun crime in Metro schools; solve it with more guns!

Just something about persuading kids to not shoot others with more guns sounds illogical. Especially, when the kids doing the shooting lack any logic. Something tells me that only works in the movies.

-- http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...&thispage=1

Edited by Rizzo

Considering the time frame...

"He fell at 3:55 a.m. from the fire escape at 77 Monroe Center NW..."

The Wood TV8 article mentioned that they were students at GRCC, enrolled in a photo class and taking night pictures of the GR skyline. They were returning to the ground, when they thought they were spotted by someone inside the building. Sounds like they quickened their pace before they were caught and one fell. After reading the article I don't know if I would say drinking was involved or not, but you never know. :dontknow: Eitherway, it is sad that someone had to die.

Edited by DwntwnGeo