Greensboro Urban Loop (Painter Boulevard)

Roadgeek

looks like DOT wants to do a few things to make it even less confusing like installing signs that show a map of the loop.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/05..._changing_again

Interchange at I-40 and I-840 in west Greensboro. Technically its sort of stack interchange. That is defined when ever there is an interchange with a bridge stacked over another bridge. But it doesn't fit the form of a typical stack.

i-840interchange.jpg

(part of "the maze") The I-85 interchange near Grandover looks more like a spaghetti interchange but its not a stack. In part of the interchange there is a fly over ramp that almost crosses another fly over ramp. Its a well designed interchange but it does take up an incredible amount of land.

i-840interchange2.jpg

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit that I appericated DOT trying to make up for their mistakes (even though not every mistake was admitted). DOTs in other states probably dont give a crap about how people feel. Who knows.

They are installing the signs that show map of the Loop and I-40? it might look similar to the one in Richmond, VA Area, where it shows I-95 and I-295 loop a few miles before their actual interchange. I am curious about it right now.

They still NEED to rebuild the Death Valley and finish the loop, so that they can focus on building I-73 both north (NC 68/US 220 connector) and south of Greensboro (upgrade to Interstate standards)

There was a time when Greensboro received very little DOT dollars. Remember back in the 1980s when I-40 through Greensboro was only 2 lanes an each direction and most of the DOT funds went to projects in Charlotte and Raleigh? Ha Ha I remember there was hardly any development along I-40 after you passed Four Seasons Mall. There was mainly trees and vacant land between the mall and the airport. The West Wendover big box shopping mecca did not exist and it was all trees. I was a young child back then. What a transformation it has been over the past 25 years. If anyone has photos of I-40 in Greensboro from back in the 1980s I would love for you to post them.

There was a time when Greensboro received very little DOT dollars. Remember back in the 1980s when I-40 through Greensboro was only 2 lanes an each direction and most of the DOT funds went to projects in Charlotte and Raleigh? Ha Ha I remember there was hardly any development along I-40 after you passed Four Seasons Mall. There was mainly trees and vacant land between the mall and the airport. The West Wendover big box shopping mecca did not exist and it was all trees. I was a young child back then. What a transformation it has been over the past 25 years. If anyone has photos of I-40 in Greensboro from back in the 1980s I would love for you to post them.

Even though I was born around that time, I do remember it being 2 lanes each way. I can remember that day my family and I went to the mall. the traffic was SO bad it backed up for hours and hours.

• 2 weeks later...

They are finally starting to change signs along the Southwest Loop and along the I-40 route. it should be done by July (this was on news tonight).

I-40's route will overtake the Business 85 exit signs.. from Exit 212 (I-73/I-840/US 421) to Exit 227 (I-85/I-840/I-785 and Future US 70) Business 85 exit numbers (36-44) will be eliminated.

I-73 exit numbers will run from Exit 95 (I-85/I-73/US 220) to Exit 103 (I-40/I-840) ***hope that is the true mileage count for I-73***

US 421 will move on the SW loop with I-73, then run along I-85 to bypass

In the future, US 70 will relocate from I-40/US 29 split (Former exit 127 or 39, future exit 221B) and run along I-40 to the East Loop exit (former exit 44, future exit 227) then run north along I-840, then return to their original route.

And finally, the Eastern Loop from US 70 to US 29 will begin construction in 2012... land purchases will happen this year. wow. I cant wait til the entire loop is finished.. seriously.. our loop is just half done.

I noticed new I-40 shields along the "old" stretch while I was driving through the area today. They still have a little work to do:

3554581265_ff2f185f59_b.jpg

Also, when did they start replacing the bridge over Business 85 in Death Valley? I wasn't aware they were doing this at all. Here are a few quick photos I took:

3555393852_d296ff08f7_b.jpg

3554599441_355e3e9dd7_b.jpg

I noticed new I-40 shields along the "old" stretch while I was driving through the area today. They still have a little work to do:

3554581265_ff2f185f59_b.jpg

And these signs are still not yet changed. I still see the old Business 40 and US 421 (and the old I-40 bypass) signs along that stretch... they need to change these signs as soon as possible, that shouldnt take them so long..I wonder why July is the completed projection date for these signage changes.. lazy DOT!

Also, when did they start replacing the bridge over Business 85 in Death Valley? I wasn't aware they were doing this at all. Here are a few quick photos I took:

3555393852_d296ff08f7_b.jpg

3554599441_355e3e9dd7_b.jpg

Yeah that bridge replacement is a part of the bridge rehabilitation project that replaces some aged bridges. This is one of the most dangerous bridges in Guilford County. The another is just between Elm Eugene and Randleman Rd interchanges. The I-40/Bus 85 South over US 29 bridge needs to be replaced as well. From what i seen on that picture, it looks to carry 3 lanes of travel?

I think the I-40 eastbound bridge is two lanes over Business 85, actually.

yeah they are currently 2 lanes over Business 85, if you drive close to the reconstructed bridge, and compare it with the old one.. the going to be built new bridge is bigger than the old one. So i dont know

yeah they are currently 2 lanes over Business 85, if you drive close to the reconstructed bridge, and compare it with the old one.. the going to be built new bridge is bigger than the old one. So i dont know

I wonder if the current roadway will move to the new, bigger allocated space, or if DOT will move the roadway over, demolish the old bridge, and expand to that freed up area? This is what I mean:

Interchange.jpg

I would also like to see the Randleman Road exit taken away. Unless, they're planning to do a major overhaul soon that includes right-hand exit ramps that don't conflict with oncoming flows of traffic, it is unsafe and not that necessary.

I imagine the Randleman Rd interchange dates back to the days when Randleman Rd was still US 220. I agree I don't think it is necessary anymore. I think it should be removed, and the interchange with Elm-Eugene upgraded to a SPUI. Especially now that I-40 is back on it's original alignment.

I imagine the Randleman Rd interchange dates back to the days when Randleman Rd was still US 220. I agree I don't think it is necessary anymore. I think it should be removed, and the interchange with Elm-Eugene upgraded to a SPUI. Especially now that I-40 is back on it's original alignment.

I didnt know Randleman Rd was US 220.. no wonder its always that busy. and you guys are right, the left exit or perhaps entire interchange of Randleman Rd is not necessary. DOT has a lot to do on this section:

They need to widen I-40/Bus 85 west to 3 through lanes (the exit where former US 421 gets off) Exit 222.. it is now 2 lanes going westward.. no good.

I agree with you that they needs to upgrade S Elm Eugene St to SPUI..

OR if they choose to rebuild Death Valley thing, widen I-40 to 8 lanes.

AND they NEEDS to get rid of Business 85 signs in Greensboro... I never heard of a interstate and a business route overlap. It does not look right. They can rename it Interstate 685 or 885 or just leave it US 29 and US 70.

They should rename US 220 I-273 (since I-73 wont be routed from I-85 bypass interchange to I-40 on the US 220 one..

And also, I think they should rename Bryan Blvd to I-173 From I-73 and future I-840 interchange near the airport.. It will establish a spur route to Downtown Greensboro.

I just wish DOT is getting so creative.

Here is an interesting article. The urban loop was first proposed back in 1948

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/05...roposed_in_1948

yeah that part.. I still dont get it sometimes. Since the Loop was proposed in 1948, then that was way before all of these communities were developed. So the Loop is going to get built.

People knew the loop is going to be around, no matter if its a street, highway, or even a interstate. Plans change every year. my point i am trying to say here is that people should know better if they knew the Loop is coming, it is their responsibility to check it out where the road will be built instead of finding out then complaining. That is one big step before a house is purchased. Investigate and find out if the house is safe, and no interruptions from everything and all that BEFORE they purchase it.

Speaking of sellers, they are responsible for letting them know where the Loop will be and what kind of impact will they experience. I believe that the sellers who knew about the Loop, but did not inform the homeowners should be fired, prosecuted and all that.

Take for example, people knew that the I-73 southwest loop was going to be built. Why dont they just move, instead what they do.. they stayed in the property and when the loop was opened, they complained. It is not DOT's fault. It is their fault because they were informed about it. and lately they chose to stay. If they dont like the noise, then move somewhere. If they can withstand the noise, then thats fine. That is why I see there is no point of relocating I-40 back on the old road.. because the entire purpose of the Loop is to Bypass Death Valley (primarly) and make things easier when travelling around Greensboro. At least the Loop is not build like Atlanta's I-285. (that interstate is SO eyesore).

I am glad that DOT is going to finish the Loop, because after the Loop is finished, they have only one thing to do is focus on the new construction of future I-73 in this county.

Greensboro is growing up big time. Let it grow. I hope that Loop will make things easier when it is finished.

• 2 weeks later...

NCDOT does it again... I was on Wendover Avenue near Target earlier toady, and noticed that they changed the 40 East/ 73 South overhead signs to I-73 / U.S. 421, but it read I-73 East instead of I-73 South :blink: . I'm pretty convinced now that NCDOT doesn't pay attention to what they're doing when renaming signs <_<

NCDOT does it again... I was on Wendover Avenue near Target earlier toady, and noticed that they changed the 40 East/ 73 South overhead signs to I-73 / U.S. 421, but it read I-73 East instead of I-73 South :blink: . I'm pretty convinced now that NCDOT doesn't pay attention to what they're doing when renaming signs <_<

They are a bunch of idiots. They still havnt removed the future I-73 on hwy 220 near the coliseum. No wonder people get so confused driving in Greensboro <_<

They are a bunch of idiots. They still havnt removed the future I-73 on hwy 220 near the coliseum. No wonder people get so confused driving in Greensboro <_<

I think what also confuses people are the absurd amount of signed routes going through Greensboro and how close the freeways are placed together. Think about the all of the extra time it takes to read a BGS (big green sign) on a gantry with a zillion routes plastered on it. The signs in Greensboro are some of the biggest I have ever seen.

I think what also confuses people are the absurd amount of signed routes going through Greensboro and how close the freeways are placed together. Think about the all of the extra time it takes to read a BGS (big green sign) on a gantry with a zillion routes plastered on it. The signs in Greensboro are some of the biggest I have ever seen.

At least they changed the BGS signs.. even though there are some errors on it.. They are also idiots.. i agree with you all. They have until July to change them signs..

There is probably a reason why they didnt change the Future I-73 signs along US 220.. what if they decided to make it a spur route, which may explain, otherwise I agree with you. They have not even removed US 421 signs along old I-40 route (they should have done that while changing exit numbers and 40 signs).. I will never understand NCDOT.

The southwest loop is a waste of taxpayer dollars for so many reasons. The state had it right years ago with the proposed routing of I-73 near the coliseum. US 70 should have continued along Wendover Ave all the way to High Point, and US 220 should have continued along Freeman Mill Road. This would have left I-40 and US 421 through Death Valley. The money that went towards the southwest loop including its complicated interchanges could have modernized the death valley area.

I wonder when I-73 will become official all the way to Asheboro?

The southwest loop is a waste of taxpayer dollars for so many reasons. The state had it right years ago with the proposed routing of I-73 near the coliseum. US 70 should have continued along Wendover Ave all the way to High Point, and US 220 should have continued along Freeman Mill Road. This would have left I-40 and US 421 through Death Valley. The money that went towards the southwest loop including its complicated interchanges could have modernized the death valley area.

I wonder when I-73 will become official all the way to Asheboro?

The loop has been on the books for a long time. Thats why they are so seriously focusing on finishing the entire loop. I agree with you that the death valley area should be improved before the loop construction starts, but it is too late. What we can hope is that they reroute I-40 back on the old route so they can ask for money to improve just 2.5 miles of it (Death Valley)...

And yeah i have been wondering the same thing about I-73 being official all the way to Asheboro or perhaps farther down.

• 5 months later...

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/12/26/article/it_will_be_awhile_before_loop_becomes_i_840

According to DOT, I-840 shields cant go up until the loop is finished. the "Future" in I-840 signs will remain until the entire loop is finished. Im confused......If this is the case, why is an incomplete loop in Charlotte designated as I-485? same thing with Raleigh's I-540 loop.

i485-white2.jpg

i540nc.JPG

future840.JPG

• 4 months later...

I've mentioned this before, but does this not make perfect sense to you guys? It may look a little confusing at first, but this is how I think our highways ought to be...

urban_loop.jpg

The Breakdown:

-Keep I-40 where it currently is

-Let I-73 follow 68 to I-40 and be signed where US 421 used to be.

-Let I-73 exit off onto 220 south (where it was originally planned to go)

-Restore I-85 to its original location like I-40 did last year

-Upgrade US 29 through Greensboro to interstate standards and sign that portion 785/US 29 as originally planned

-Sign US Routes 70/220/421 where they used to go (Wendover, Freeman Mill Rd, Market Street)

-Last but certainly not least, sign the whole loop as 840 and nothing more

Benefits of doing so:

-Interstates 840, 73, and 785 would all have signage and no more 'FUTURE' signs up all over the area

-What is now Business 85, Highway 68 and US 29 would get interstate funding

-"Death Valley" would only carry I-40, I-85 and US 29

-Less confusion (I hope)

So basically, our highways would be like Atlanta's. Let the mainline highways 40/85/73 run through the city, and allow through traffic to bypass on I-840.

Good idea?

Archived