MySQL Problem

ironchapman

I commented abou this in the "Atlanta Off-Topic" thread.

The MySQL errors returned again tonight (or last night by the time some of you read this).

I couldn't access any of the major forums for about 15 minutes somewhere between 1:00 AM and 1:30 AM last night.

I copied this from one of the pages that came up whenever I tried to access a forum...Maybe it can be of some use:

IPB WARNING [2]mysql_connect(): Can't create a new thread (errno 12). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug (Line: 115 of /ips_kernel/class_db_mysql.php)

There appears to be an error with the database.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here.

Error Returned:

mySQL error: Can't create a new thread (errno 12). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug

mySQL error code:

Date: Thursday 11th of August 2005 05:20:40 AM

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This problem should be resovled now. Please let us know if you see it again :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:cry::cry::cry:

Just went through it again. Anyone else experience it?

Don't know when it started, but it stopped about 1:23 AM EST. No forums were accessible at all.

Any ideas as to what caused it?

Got me too.

Here is the full message.

IPB WARNING [2] mysql_connect(): Can't create a new thread (errno 12). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug (Line: 115 of /ips_kernel/class_db_mysql.php)

There appears to be an error with the database.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here.

Error Returned

mySQL error: Can't create a new thread (errno 12). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug

mySQL error code:

Date: Thursday 18th of August 2005 05:17:30 AM

I kind of disregarded this as the cause before, but I'm thinking it may be contributing. Maintenance on the site runs basically all day and all night as it's ongoing, but the two largest jobs are done right at 1AM. One being the nightly full sql backup, and considering the db is right around 600MB it does take a little bit of load. The other being an optimizing script. This keeps the sql db as efficient as possible so pages can load as fast as possible. Our server load has jumped significantly lately though. We're pushing 40% at times and that's only going to increase with time.

40%? I'm surprised pages load as fast as they do then. My forums outgrew it's old P4 server last May hitting the 40 area on the 1, 5 and 15 minute periods and pages would take 30+ seconds to load or more.

A quad Xeon w/2 GB of RAM has done the trick. At less than $300.00 and no set up fees with our server host, we made the upgrade with the quickness. Now even with 400 users/guests online we sit between 0.5 and 1.5 on server loads.

If you guys would like, I'll throw in a good word for you to our host.

Server has been upgraded so response time should be improved greatly now! ~1AM is when the bulk of our maintenance occurs on the site so you may notice a slowdown during this period. The MySQL problem should not exist anymore so please post here if you see it crop up again. Thanks for all of your patience!

Had a bad one last night guys.

mySQL query error: SELECT author_id, topic_id FROM ibf_posts WHERE author_id=1592 AND topic_id IN(13735,9277,12214,15227,15182,7972,13891,15179,14970,12062,11528,9052,10642,13

745,15098,10787,12581,9242,9929,9765,9764,9045,12467,7818,7783,8211,14141,14804,

9627,13104)

mySQL error: Can't open file: 'ibf_posts.MYI'. (errno: 144)

mySQL error code:

Date: Wednesday 24th of August 2005 05:20:31 AM

Minimum timeframe is:

1:20 - 3:50AM EST.

• 3 weeks later...

At times I find this site quite slow and sometimes during the evening hours it takes some time for pages to load. Thought I would just let you know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the database does it's backup at 11 or 1 (Neo can tell you better) and this was determined to be the cause of the site slowing down. I'm not sure if this problem still exists or is supposed to have been fixed. Other possible issues are being discussed here.

Archived