Tiers of SC cities

krazeeboi

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone see some shifting in the future of the cities from one tier to another?? If so, what do you foresee?

Keep in mind that as each area grows, will they all keep their places? Because as the cities of tier two rise up, tier one might just raise the bar continuously out of reach. So, when for example Spartanburg reaches 400,000 people, tier one maybe holding the threshold at 600,000....??? What do y'all think?

Gville:

I think that we WILL see some shifting over the next few decades in our cities. Think about SC's history... Charleston used to be the #1 big dog with no contest. Then Columbia came along. Then Spartanburg, followed closely Greenville which eventually passed Spartanburg. Right now Columbia is number 1.

With our cities I think the following is possible:

Tier 1 wont see any changes but obviously Greenville will catch up to the other two. This may become blurred somewhat if Spartanburg and/or Anderson get recombined for statistical purposes.

Tier 2 has some changes coming up.

Myrtle Beach will probably stay a Tier 2, but will jump spartanburg in population by the next Census (in terms of Urban Area). Spartanburg near term, will continue to be Tier 2. I dont think that there is much chance of that changing anytime soon. If it gets its act together could catch up and become Tier 1, but thats long term assuming it doent get recombined with Greenville.

Anderson has the potential to become a Tier 2. It just depends on how its economy does and how it deals with spillover from Greenville. If it becomes more attached economically then it may not move up.

The big question to me is what will happen with Beaufort/Hilton Head/Hardeeville.

Other places like Sumter, Florence, and Orangeburg, and Greenwood I am not sure will change significantly but will grow enough to maintain their current status unless something major changes.

It's a shifting and undefiniable term, but along with GMP and UA pop, I would argue for the inclusion (perhaps with less importance attached) of name-recognition beyond the region - thus I'd either add Myrtle Beach to tier one, or would definitely see it moving there within a decade.

Along the same lines - someone mentioned the 'CH'-factor in one of the oldest posts: it can't be ignored, but the CH cities are all gaining in national or international stature for various reasons, so the CH factor will gradually become irrelevant.

Florence is interesting to me - it's regional importance exceeds its size, in spite of whatever ups-and-downs the city may have experienced. I think its' importance will grow as well - slowly, but still, growth.

And as an identity - I'm less able to pinpoint Rock Hill's than I might have been 10 years ago, because the city is going through some serious transitions, but it's still definitely NOT SC's equivalent to Cary - a city known only as a suburb, or defining itself only in opposition to a larger nearby city. Certain aspects of RH - attempts at industrial development, downtown revitalization, and the potential of the river give it at least some chance of solidifying its' own idenity.

I don't see any ambiguity resulting if Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson become a single MSA again, as they will still be separate UA's. If (or should I say once) all of those UA's start bleeding into each other, then it will become something of a sticky situation, especially since municipal populations do little to accurately represent the true sizes of our cities. If that were the case, then I think we could separate them for tiering purposes, much like one may be able to do for Fort Worth, St. Paul, St. Petersburg, etc.

I think the Beaufort/Hilton Head/Hardeeville area is well on its way to becoming an MSA, consisting of Beaufort and Jasper counties (and possibly becoming a CSA with Savannah).

If we're talking about name recognition alone, Myrtle Beach and Charleston (and possibly Hilton Head) would be the only ones occupying the tier 1 spot.

I've always been amazed at the extremes in this state. You have Hilton Head, very upscale, with well educated, high income residents and retirees. Then you have the rural poor, low educated areas that are just a notch above third world living standards (i.e. certain areas of the Pee Dee). This is evident in many states, but especially so in SC.

I've always been amazed at the extremes in this state. You have Hilton Head, very upscale, with well educated, high income residents and retirees. Then you have the rural poor, low educated areas that are just a notch above third world living standards (i.e. certain areas of the Pee Dee). This is evident in many states, but especially so in SC.

Mine would be:

First Tier-

Greenville

Columbia

Charleston

Second Tier-

Spartanburg

Myrtle Beach

Third Tier-

Anderson

Rock Hill

Florence

Hilton Head-Beaufort

Sumter

Fourth Tier-

Greenwood

I would also put Aiken- North Augusta in the Third Tier, although it is an interesting case.

Aiken is clearly not contiguous with North Augusta, and the latter clearly IS contiguous with Augusta. Aiken then is not a suburb of Augusta in any stretch of the imagination; whereas North Augusta clearly is (it

Mine would be:

First Tier-

Greenville

Columbia

Charleston

Second Tier-

Spartanburg

Myrtle Beach

Third Tier-

Anderson

Rock Hill

Florence

Hilton Head-Beaufort

Sumter

Fourth Tier-

Greenwood

I would also put Aiken- North Augusta in the Third Tier, although it is an interesting case.

Aiken is clearly not contiguous with North Augusta, and the latter clearly IS contiguous with Augusta. Aiken then is not a suburb of Augusta in any stretch of the imagination; whereas North Augusta clearly is (it's right on the river directly across from Augusta). However, North Augusta also has a very un-suburb-like core with older homes and businesses, which is only expanding with Hammond's Ferry. If it were called "Hamburg"

I think this thread is worth another visit. We have a lot more reputation after two years from all parts of the state. Please share your thoughts!

FYI- I found this bit of info- These are counties that the State considers urban:

iken

Anderson

Beaufort

Berkeley

Charleston

Dorchester

Florence

Greenville

Horry

Lexington*

Pickens*

Richland

Spartanburg

Sumter

York

*Lexington and Pickens counties

are considered urban since they

are bedroom communities to

major metropolitan areas.

http://www.ors2.state.sc.us/rural_health.asp#legend

Just out of curiousity what are you basing this on? Spartanburg above Hilton Head and Rock Hill? I lived in Spartanburg for 3 years, and no offense to the city, but I do not see how its a better "tier" city than Hilton Head or Rock Hill, I have lived in all 3 cities.

Just out of curiousity what are you basing this on? Spartanburg above Hilton Head and Rock Hill? I lived in Spartanburg for 3 years, and no offense to the city, but I do not see how its a better "tier" city than Hilton Head or Rock Hill, I have lived in all 3 cities.

Kyley - you have to take history into perspective, Spartanburg has been a major city in the state for over a century. Hilton Head & even Rock Hill are relative new comers, obviously Hilton Head but even Rock Hill was more on par with Greenwood & Orangeburg before 1950. But Spartanburg, along with Greenville, is the major economic center for the Upstate whereas Rock Hill has only evolved from a large town to a small post-industrial city in the 1980's to the current status as - essentially - a suburb (other than satellite city to Charlotte).

Archived