Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

I was in there once, and we waited for 10 minutes in the front of the place to be seated. There was never anybody at the hostess stand. We ended up leaving. I have heard this from a lot of people as well. A few people I have spoken to say they have decent food, just seems the management is very poor.

Been there 3 or 4 times. Food was very good, but did indeed have to wait at the hostess stand for a long time before anyone even acknowledged us. Such a basic function for a restaurant, how can this screw that up? Hate for it to do them in considering I liked the place a lot otherwise.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say, think what you will about McCormick and Schmick's food (I think they're slightly above average, definitely better then when they opened), they treated our party really, really, really well, with top draw service and obvious enthusiasm.

- Garris

Frankie takes a chance, throws caution to the wind and goes to McCormick & Schmick's for lunch on Friday. Upon arrival I couldn't help but admire the interior decor which I'd describe as being conservative and stately. I was please to learn that I knew the maitre d who was formely a bartender in a downcity club. I neglected to fully check out the menu and wine list to report to you on that, since I order off the top of my head. House white wine, calamari and salmon, all of which was good, although a did receive a very small slice of salmon. Maybe because I ordered off the lunch menu. The service was great and it became busy at noon time. The only problem I had was that the bathrooms are in the basement. Why, I don't know, but after a couple of wines this might not be such a good idea. The bottom line is that I would definately go back and try much more of their fare.

The only problem I had was that the bathrooms are in the basement.

That's something that's very common in New York where space is at a premium, but in the Biltmore's case, it does seem they should have been able to build ground floor bathrooms.

Where would be the best spot in the city for a straight up east coast style grinder? I have a friend here from PDX who grew up in NJ and has a hankering as the sammiches in the NW arent quite the same. Is Ricotti's on Atwells still appropriate? I havent been there in years.

havent' been to that ricotti's, but the one on mineral spring in north prov was gonna be my recommendation... :thumbsup:

Where would be the best spot in the city for a straight up east coast style grinder?

I thought Rhode Islander's were the only one's to use the word grinder, but I recently found out that I was wrong. Some refer to large sandwiches as submarines.

i like "Sandwich Hut" on North Main Street, just before you get to Greggs. Good sammiches, there.

I always forget about that place. I'm surprised that there still there, given that there's a Gregg's up the street.

This is quite irrelevant, but, I just went to the "Dunkin Donuts Concept Store" (yes, only in RI...) on Cottage Street in Pawtucket. Anyone who loves DD as much as I do, YOU MUST GO THERE. They have warm muffins, cookies, etc. etc. etc., tons of amazing crap that almost seems as though its comin from a genuine bakery.

Do they have lemon cake glazed donuts? I need lemon cake glazed donuts! :wacko:

Hmm, didn't notice. Wouldn't surprise me if they did though, this place is amazing. The only thing I hate about it is that they built it as if it were on Route 2 in Warwick in the middle of a Stop and Shop plaza surrounded by parking...

Went to Bravo the other night for the first time, and I found it very simliar to the Red Stripe in Wayland Square... Like its downtown brother.

Pros:

------

- Great lively atmosphere...

- Very friendly staff...

- Great salads and entree options

- I had duck confit that was wonderfully prepared

- My dining partner had an outstanding leek-wrapped salmon (although the leek taste wasn't too noticable)

- Very, very reasonable prices for everything

- Great building, locale, big city "feel"

Cons:

------

- Our waiter was too overextended and even apologized for it. As a result, we got our bread after our appetizer, got three jars of butters, one water refill the entire evening, etc...

- That lively atmosphere generates a LOT of noise. Like Red Stripe, don't go looking for whisper intimate conversation

- Appetizers are almost all entirely shellfish options...

- Weak dessert menu... Pastiche filled in nicely :-)

- Surprisingly, our entrees really skimped on the vege sides. I think I had all of 3 or 4 pieces of potato with my substantial duck, and my dining partner's salmon towered over the small smattering of mashed potatoes, crushing it...

All in all, I enjoyed it (especially the atmosphere, with the great view of the Trinity Rep across the street) and my dining partner, from Boston, was very impressed. I'd give it a 7/10. I'd definitely go again if downtown, although I've enjoyed the consistent and inventive food at the similar but slightly more extensive "Downcity" a bit more in the past.

- Garris

PS: Frankie, how was Sax's?

Extreme Donuts in downtown Pawtucket rules if you like creative donuts, like Hot Dog or Pizza donut facimiles.

I had the bison burger at Julian's last night. Awesome.

The new Vietnamese place on Broad St is great. Between DD and McD near Central High.

Smoked blue fish sandwhich at Hudson rocks.

Extreme Donuts in downtown Pawtucket rules if you like creative donuts, like Hot Dog or Pizza donut facimiles.

Wo wo wo wo wo, wait a minute?? There's a local donut shop in Downtown Pawtucket?? How come I didn't know this? How have I not smelt it yet?? Where is it???

I just got back from my first visit to Big Fish. I was pleasantly greeted and was placed in the outer room which faces Richmond St. That's were the three large overhead doors are. Years ago this must have been a service garage. The decor of this room is actually pretty bland and I believe the floor is cement. The color of the walls to me are rather dull, as are the decorations on the wall. I didn't get a chance to fully inspect the inner room which from a brief glanced looked a bit more upscale. I believe that their trying to provide a casual atmosphere in a slightly upscale restaurant, with white table linen no less. The wine list is decent, however most of the selections call for you to order a bottle, as opposed to just a glass. The prices for both are up there. I ordered a mid-priced chardonnay ( Sebastiani Chardonnay, 2002 ) @ 7.50/glass. Not to dry, just right. For an appetizer I ordered the calamari w/o the red peppers. The batter was just right and wasen't too dry like it is @ Trinity Brewhouse, and not too greasy like it is @ Paragon. But it did seem a bit more rubbery than usual. It comes with a spicy mayonnaise sauce which was very good. For the entre I choose the shrimp scampi plate which is made with garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, fresh basil over linguine. I had it w/o the tomatoes. It comes with five jumbo shrimp and was very good. The wait staff is very friendly and attentive. They wait a resonable amount of time between your appetizer and meal, not like I experienced at McCormick & Schmick's last week where I didn't even finish my appetizer when they bought me my lunch plate. I hate that! There were about 20 people there for lunch. My bill came to almost $ 38 which is what lunch usually costs me. The big surprise came when I went to use the bathroom when leaving. They actually have tv screens showing movies at the urinals. And of all movies it was "Jaws". Now what guy wants to watch that while standing at the urinal! :D I wonder what they have in the ladies room. All in all I enjoyed my lunch and WILL go back.

speaking of calamari... the first time i had it was at this place called the living room in boston (martini bar/restaurant). the food there was so-so and i didn't really like the calamari, thinking that i probably just didn't like any calamari.

i was wrong. the calamari at andino's on fed hill is really good and cooked perfectly. they serve it with hot peppers, not marinara.

also... the veal at andino's is some of the best veal i've had. the veal marsala, in particular, is amazing. the veal andino and the veal saltimbocca are also really good. the marinara sauce that they put on their pasta has great flavor. yes, i like veal if you couldn't tell. :P

so andino's goes up there alongside cassarino's as a place on the hill that i would go back to again and again.

I was the only person there under 40, and the only thin person there, and the only one there not wearing cut off T-shirts, and the only one there who probably wasn't affiliated with the KKK...

This gave me my biggest laugh of the day so far... Thanks!

My bill came to almost $ 38 which is what lunch usually costs me... All in all I enjoyed my lunch and WILL go back.

Boy, your lunches are far more expensive than mine! :whistling: Thanks for the review! I agree with you that Big Fish is, on the aggregate, just fine. I love their mixed drinks, and you're right that they certainly have the best bathrooms in Providence. I still often prefer Hemenways or McCormick and Schmick's, however. I'll often recommend Big Fish to families that want to go out but still get good quality, adult food.

- Garris

We went to Bravo again last night, I think it's safe to say that the Empire and Washington Curse (which we all know never really existed) has finally been broken. Bravo coupled with the revamped AS220 and Gracie's is making that end of the city into a really nice little up and coming area. With the redesign of LaSalle and Cathedral Squares, I think the west end of Downcity will really take off.

Archived