Icon on Bond

torgo

Seeing that nothing has happened on this project or the propsed River House (nothing substantial at least) I though i would just offer a little insight as well why these projects take a long time.

Big reason is cost, before these projects actually get built the developers need to see a return on investment they can accept especially when you consider the risk they take to build a large structure.

another reason is cost saving redesigns. Large scale projects like this go through many redesigns or value engineering phases to bring the bottom line of the project down. Much of this is due to an Architects view of a project as opposed to a contractors view of what can be done to archive a similar result. No offense to Architects i just know they can specifiy very costly materials to archive a "look" that can be achived through over means with a very similar result.

My guess is that is why these projects havent really been started yet... on a big project like these there are so many details that need to be figured out before you should begin. If were lucky we will see one of them start this fall ....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing that nothing has happened on this project or the propsed River House (nothing substantial at least) I though i would just offer a little insight as well why these projects take a long time.

Big reason is cost, before these projects actually get built the developers need to see a return on investment they can accept especially when you consider the risk they take to build a large structure. 

another reason is cost saving redesigns.  Large scale projects like this go through many redesigns or value engineering phases to bring the bottom line of the project down.  Much of this is due to an Architects view of a project as opposed to a contractors view of what can be done to archive a similar result.  No offense to Architects i just know they can specifiy very costly materials to archive a "look" that can be achived through over means with a very similar result.

My guess is that is why these projects havent really been started yet... on a big project like these there are so many details that need to be figured out before you should begin.  If were lucky we will see one of them start this fall ....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Moch closed on his rather sizeable construction loan on Thurs. Construction on phase I should start shortly.

I still hope they do a last minute about face on the first level.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So instead of alligators they'll have barbed wire and people with guns, just in case some unauthorized person tries to enter Fort Moch.

Live report: (Tuesday, Auhust 9, 2:30 PM)

Just looked out the window. Joe Moch Jr. and a group of 5 or 6 people are standing around looking at the site. One of them is wearing a Consumer's Energy ballcap. Maybe they're getting ready to move some power lines for construction.

First movement I've seen for a few weeks.

Wow. I surprised to say the least. Considering the projected start date was Aug 1. I figured we wouldn't see any movement for another couple months. I'll still be surprised if we see any construction equipment before months end though. Hopefully Moch will surprise me again.

Maybe we should start a poll: When will this project ACTUALLY begin? 2005? 2006? 2035? I guess we should feel fortunate that if any one here becomes strapped for cash, we could always offer to mow the weeds for him... Or if it goes up, then we could feed the alligators and clean the razor wire, too.

Still, I have to give him some props. He did what we all thought would never happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, maybe a few, Joe. But, from 21 floors to 15 floors to 9 to a walled fortress weaseled through code...you must admit it's been rather anti-climatic. -_-

Still, I have to give him some props. He did what we all thought would never happen. Now if we can just beg him to make the ground-level more aesthetically pleasing, I'll be happy :)

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm gonna wait until the buildings are up and full of residents before I write that. :)For all we know, he could get 4 floors up and stop for a couple of years.

Agreed, the original plans were awesome (there is a good article in the months GR Magazine if you get a chance to take a look).

It is too bad, but if he realizes that the ground level needs more transparency, and maybe a little commercial space, I'd be happy with the project.

Oh, and he'd have to get rid of the alligators too ;)

Joe

Haha, maybe a few, Joe.  But, from 21 floors to 15 floors to 9 to a walled fortress weaseled through code...you must admit it's been rather anti-climatic.    -_-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived