Why doesnt WBTV just come out and say it?

QC704

I think the coverage focused on young black kids has been ridiculous lately. Supposedly, everyone that wears a white t-shirt and hangs out in uptown is a gang member. As a matter of fact, I am sick of the non stop gang talk on that station. It seems like they have changed the philosophy of their reporting to try to keep up with channel 9 which makes me sick because WBTV used to be a refuge from the crap channel 9 calls news.

Rant over.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to gang reporting, WSOC-TV focus more on Latino gangs, IMO, Latino gangs are more dangerous like MS13.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

agreed. it is also worth noting that latin gangs are FAR more organized. MS-13 for example loosely associated with revolutionary groups in El Salvador.

Call me silly, but I just wish that the TV stations would report more on the positive things that are going on in the community. I tend to feel paranoid after I watch the local news. Also as an aside, does anybody else feel like running to their bathtub whenever WBTV reports on a thunderstorm rolling through this area. Run for cover! Get out of harm's way! :)

I don't think WBTV having a Uptown studio has to do with anything, like last week or so, they have one of their reporters on the bridge over the Brookshire Freeway near the Greenville neighborhood outside of Uptown which is predominately black talking about white tees being on the west side is gang related while white tees in the eastside isn't. I'm thinking that report was a lil ridiculious, white tees just trendy for urban teens.

why in the world is anyone watching local news, anyway? Anything of merit going on locally will be in a newspaper the next day, and will be tied more closely to the reality of the story rather than the shock-jock emotional stuff you get on tv.

Television is for entertainment, period.

If you want information, get it through the written word online or on paper.

jmo

why in the world is anyone watching local news, anyway?  Anything of merit going on locally will be in a newspaper the next day, and will be tied more closely to the reality of the story rather than the shock-jock emotional stuff you get on tv.

Television is for entertainment, period.

If you want information, get it through the written word online or on paper.

jmo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen to that dubone. Now tell that to my wife!

they also move around so much that they get away with most ridiculous non-sequetors!!! it drives me nuts how they draw lines and conclusions based on nothing, but they're already moved onto the next thing by the time you can process the statement.

I can't tell how many times i have seen some illogical statement or cause-effect relationship and just look over at my wife and we just shake our heads and flip channels.

they also move around so much that they get away with most ridiculous non-sequetors!!!  it drives me nuts how they draw lines and conclusions based on nothing, but they're already moved onto the next thing by the time you can process the statement. 

I can't tell how many times i have seen some illogical statement or cause-effect relationship and just look over at my wife and we just shake our heads and flip channels.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here,Here!(toast)

All the converage about white t-shirts is hilarious. Charlotte finally gets the foot traffic theyve wanted uptown, and all they do is complain. I imagine its because its not the "kind" of people they want. Well, tough, this is part of what makes cities pulse. In major cities such as New York and Philadelphia with thriving CC districts, all kinds of people walk the streets together. My advice is to not pay it any attention.

Grow up Charlotte!!

Good points. Although it is fun to watch local news sometimes, just as long as you see it for its entertainment value. I know that I am guilty of watching the FoxNews Channel instead of a sit com sometimes. Pure entertainment.

Some famous quotes from Charlotte tv anchors/reporters:

"Just who is this Neslon Mandella person, anyway?"--Debi Faubion, WSOC

"I love playing Donky Dong with my grandkids"--Harold Johnson, WSOC

Reporter is live from the site of a car accident where the occupants are all killed...Debi Faubion asks the reporter, "Do you know the conditon of those in the car?" The reporter, with a very confused look on her face replied, "Uh, um, Debi, they're dead."

Good points.  Although it is fun to watch local news sometimes, just as long as you see it for its entertainment value.  I know that I am guilty of watching the FoxNews Channel instead of a sit com sometimes.  Pure entertainment.

Reporter is live from the site of a car accident where the occupants are all killed...Debi Faubion asks the reporter, "Do you know the conditon of those in the car?"  The reporter, with a very confused look on her face replied, "Uh, um, Debi, they're dead."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have got to be kidding me?! :rofl: Hilarious.

Reporter is live from the site of a car accident where the occupants are all killed...Debi Faubion asks the reporter, "Do you know the conditon of those in the car?"  The reporter, with a very confused look on her face replied, "Uh, um, Debi, they're dead."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

omg... what a ditz, i can't believe she actually said that!

After seeing this thread, I tuned in to channel 3 this morning and I noticed they did another story on the "rift raft" this morning.  They have undercover cameras to film what they presented as being a dangerous situation on the streets of downtown charlotte at night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i saw a reporter when i was out and about last night. Perhaps i really am the riff raff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: OMG. The last one was truly classic. Please tell me you made these up!

Anyway, I don't believe racism in the media is a problem unique to WBTV or even Charlotte. It's pretty common everywhere, even places with high black populations like D.C and Atlanta. :(