Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

Gosh... I just drove I-10 from my job at Old Exit 28 to Exit 30 (Sorry Poonther, I just don't know the new numbers yet) and I must say, Tallahassee has come a long way over the years since I became interested in Growth and Development. Construction is everywhere you look, not just the roadway itself, but new buildings, hotels, concrete walls, more lighting... all over!! I'm looking at how the exit ramps are being re-alligned and I find myself thinking, "I can't wait to drive on that thing". That's going to be one mean exit ramp at Thomasville road also. Look at that 6-7 lane EXIT RAMP! For Tallahassee I think that's a big step forward.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get w/the times FL and learn those numbers, it's been what 2 or 3 years since the change? It isn't that hard since they logically follow the mile markers. You drove from Exit 196 to Exit 203.

My questions about the interstate widening are: Are they gonna leave that tiny grass strip in the middle next to the concrete divider wall? I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've never seen an urban freeway w/that type of grass strip on just one side of the divider wall. I'm curious as to why they built it that way.

Second, while I'm OK w/our noise barrier walls and its colors, I wish like those walls in Central and South FL that we would have gotten design imprints on them. South FL along 95 started this trend in FL I believe and each different city or area has different things imprinted on the walls. I noticed in Orlando along the Turnpike expansion there, they are stamping the bottom of the walls w/palmetto fronds...looks pretty cool IMHO. If they had done a stamp on our walls, I wonder what it should have been? I'm thinkin' maybe a Live Oak?

Finally I don't think most folks realize how much new lighting is going in w/this expansion. I believe based on what I've seen so far, the interstate will be completely illuminated from one end of the expansion project to the other. When they finally turn on all these lights, look for NIMBY Zings in the paper protesting it and declarations of how Tally has sold out and lost all its charm etc. You know the drill. :)

Get w/the times FL and learn those numbers, it's been what 2 or 3 years since the change? It isn't that hard since they logically follow the mile markers. You drove from Exit 196 to Exit 203.

My questions about the interstate widening are: Are they gonna leave that tiny grass strip in the middle next to the concrete divider wall? I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've never seen an urban freeway w/that type of grass strip on just one side of the divider wall. I'm curious as to why they built it that way.

Second, while I'm OK w/our noise barrier walls and its colors, I wish like those walls in Central and South FL that we would have gotten design imprints on them. South FL along 95 started this trend in FL I believe and each different city or area has different things imprinted on the walls. I noticed in Orlando along the Turnpike expansion there, they are stamping the bottom of the walls w/palmetto fronds...looks pretty cool IMHO. If they had done a stamp on our walls, I wonder what it should have been? I'm thinkin' maybe a Live Oak?

Finally I don't think most folks realize how much new lighting is going in w/this expansion. I believe based on what I've seen so far, the interstate will be completely illuminated from one end of the expansion project to the other. When they finally turn on all these lights, look for NIMBY Zings in the paper protesting it and declarations of how Tally has sold out and lost all its charm etc. You know the drill. :)

• 1 month later...

There was some talk last night on WCTV about our local government meeting with the state and getting money to widen Mahan all the way to I-10. They mentioned it would only be 4 lanes. We have already beat this dead horse about how that would only meet todays need not the future needs. I thought I would pass the article on.

There was some talk last night on WCTV about our local government meeting with the state and getting money to widen Mahan all the way to I-10. They mentioned it would only be 4 lanes. We have already beat this dead horse about how that would only meet todays need not the future needs. I thought I would pass the article on.

The ADA for Pinnacle mentioned the need for frontage roads along Mahan because of the proximity of the planned traffic lights, plus the existing residences along the street, in addition to the widening to 4 lanes. But IMHO, frontage roads widened road do not make. :)

Blueprint 2000: Sales-tax revenues down!

Sales-tax revenues were down $1.2 million last year over what had been expected for the one-cent sales tax, according to Blueprint 2000 staff.

Local government leaders will be updated this afternoon on what that could mean for road projects during an Intergovernmental Agency meeting.

The meeting is from 3 to 5 p.m. in the City Commission chambers, 300 S. Adams St.

source: tdo.com

FY 2008 Approved Capital Budget Highlights

Transportation Projects

• Advanced Transporation Management System (aka TATMS): $450,000

• Air Service Improvement Program: $600,000

• Airport Security System Upgrade: $1,000,000

• Electric Airport Layout Plan: $125,000

• Orange Avenue Extension Phase II: $3,000,000

• Purchase Replacement Vehicles for StarMetro: $1,707,734

• Recurring Traffic Management System Improvements: $615,000

• Residential Sidewalk, Bike, and Pedestrian Program: ?????????

• Street Resurfacing Program: $2,403,500

• Trojan Trail Pass: $2,011,800

Transportation Projects

Transportation Projects

Blueprint 2000: Sales-tax revenues down!

Sales-tax revenues were down $1.2 million last year over what had been expected for the one-cent sales tax, according to Blueprint 2000 staff.

Local government leaders will be updated this afternoon on what that could mean for road projects during an Intergovernmental Agency meeting.

The meeting is from 3 to 5 p.m. in the City Commission chambers, 300 S. Adams St.

source: tdo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Delays on Mahan Drive Saturday

March 6

Resurfacing Westbound Lanes at Magnolia Drive - Motorists will experience temporary delays along westbound Mahan Drive at Magnolia Drive this Saturday, March 8 between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., while crews resurface both westbound lanes. Though one westbound lane will be open to traffic while work is occurring, delays are likely occur for westbound Mahan Drive traffic prior to the intersection at Magnolia Drive.

Looks like that little bumpy ride is about to be smoothed out. :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: The tiny grass strip next to the concrete median barrier drives me batty. To me it serves no purpose and looks odd b/c I've never seen an urban freeway w/a feature like that. It will look even worse when the grass is high and not mowed in the summer.

Oh and our noise barrier walls, we just built the ugliest ones in the state and ours have no stampings on them.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: The tiny grass strip next to the concrete median barrier drives me batty. To me it serves no purpose and looks odd b/c I've never seen an urban freeway w/a feature like that. It will look even worse when the grass is high and not mowed in the summer.

Oh and our noise barrier walls, we just built the ugliest ones in the state and ours have no stampings on them.

Archived