Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah yeah!

Looking above, it appears Blairstone Road has pulled ahead as Tallahassee's favorite. I believe I voted for Capital Circle, with Blairstone as my second choice. Any chance we'll see more commercial development on Blair Stone in the next 5-10 yrs?

I made an observation last time I was on your side of town Rachiroo. Looking at the recently completed portions of Capital Circle near Southwood, drivers can now know the next main intersection before they reach it, thanks to those nice new green signs that are posted a few feet in advance. I've seen the same thing in South Florida, I'm happy we're finally starting to use some of the same tactics up here in the Capital City.

Canopy Roads Visioning Workshop

October 31

The Tallahassee-Leon County Canopy Roads system is a local treasure providing both residents and visitors with an opportunity to step back in history and enjoy the stunning living legacy of these tree lined roads. You are invited to participate in a discussion on the future of canopy roads in our community.

The Canopy Roads Citizen's Committee is hosting a public workshop Nov. 5 to discuss the current condition of our Canopy Roads system, the desired future of the Canopy Roads, threats to that future, and opportunities to achieve common goals. The Citizen's Committee will use ideas, information, and opinions expressed at the workshop to guide development of management plans for the Canopy Roads system.

All interested members of the public are encouraged to attend. The evening will consist of presentations about Canopy Roads management, small group discussions about the current state and desired future for the system, and development of recommendations for the Citizen Committee to take forward. For more information, contact Brian Wiebler of the Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Department at 891-8616 or [email protected].

This public workshop will be held Monday, November 5, from 6 to 9 p.m. at Dorothy B. Oven Park, 3205 Thomasville Road.

• 4 weeks later...

Florida, I was wondering if u had the scoop on the 3 electronic DOT signs coming back anytime soon? I know you posted that it was a bad batch, and they didnt function properly thats why they were taken down and were re ordered.....

Any news on when they are going back up the new ones?

Florida, I was wondering if u had the scoop on the 3 electronic DOT signs coming back anytime soon? I know you posted that it was a bad batch, and they didnt function properly thats why they were taken down and were re ordered.....

Any news on when they are going back up the new ones?

Wow, Tommie Speights is awesome... If anyone ever has questions about FDOT roads or construction he is the man for our region to contact... Today I shot off about 6 questions and he promptly responded to all.

In my most recent batch of questions i asked about other exits being planned for tally off i-10, i-185 and possibility of toll roads being extended to tallahassee... I will let you know what he says

Wow, Tommie Speights is awesome... If anyone ever has questions about FDOT roads or construction he is the man for our region to contact... Today I shot off about 6 questions and he promptly responded to all.

In my most recent batch of questions i asked about other exits being planned for tally off i-10, i-185 and possibility of toll roads being extended to tallahassee... I will let you know what he says

TD you're right, Speights is very prompt w/replies. I've sent him several questions via email over the years and he's always responded in a courteous and prompt manner.

I've been meaning to ask this question of the I-10 widening project: Are they planning on leaving that small grass strip in the middle? It's just on one side (east bound) next to the center concrete wall. At first I thought they weren't going to leave it, it was just part of how they were doing construction, but now that the western part of the I-10 construction is almost completed, I think it's going to stay. I've never seen an urban freeway constructed like that w/a concrete divider wall and a small grass strip on one side. It looks rather odd.

TD you're right, Speights is very prompt w/replies. I've sent him several questions via email over the years and he's always responded in a courteous and prompt manner.

I've been meaning to ask this question of the I-10 widening project: Are they planning on leaving that small grass strip in the middle? It's just on one side (east bound) next to the center concrete wall. At first I thought they weren't going to leave it, it was just part of how they were doing construction, but now that the western part of the I-10 construction is almost completed, I think it's going to stay. I've never seen an urban freeway constructed like that w/a concrete divider wall and a small grass strip on one side. It looks rather odd.

• 2 weeks later...

^I wish they would use them to welcome you to Tally or that sort of thing, but based on my knowledge of these signs around the State, I'd say just safety and Amber alert messages w/possibly a special event message.

Currently the two signs on I-10 warn you of the upcoming construction project. The one on North Monroe reminds you not to drink and drive. I'm not sure if they North Monroe text is just for the holidays or for a longer period of time. We will see soon enough.

Pile driving noise ends until February

For residents in the northeast side of the city, the year did not ring in with the sound of early morning pile driving. Last month, the residents near the Thomasville Road exit of Interstate 10 could hear the noise from the construction as workers beat concrete pilings into the ground.

I live in the area of I-10 and Thomasville Rd. I hear the pile drivers pounding away. I am probably not a close to them as they are. Sometimes they are noisey. Especially if its a nice day outside and you want your windows open. Its annoying sometimes too. But the Interstate does need widening and the extra on and off ramps will be very helpful when its finish.

I guess its like any road contruction its the pain before you gain.

So far as them cutting the trees down. It doesn't bother me. At least drivers will now be able to tell there are in town and not still in the woods driving to Tallahassee. I think it will help the businesses out on our exits, more visability.

I like trees but I think Tallahassee needs to get a reality check sometimes. It tends to hug them way to much. Trees along a road way and especially the ones that are very close to the road are defiently a hazard to motorists.

The trees that are along I-10 now have grown in since the road was built. Orignally the tree line was cut all the way back to the I-10 fence. Pine tree are ugly anyway. Our roadways would look far better with other native florida trees along them (Not Palm trees either). Thats south Florida. We almost south Georgia and Alabama here.

BHDR it's good to know that while you are being affected (or is that effected...I always have trouble w/those two)personally by the I-10 construction that you understand the inconvenience is for the greater good. I've come to learn that many don't think that way these days.

I'm w/you on the ugliness of the Pine Trees except I do tend to like the native Long-leafs, not what you usually see along the road ways anyway. They can be very messy trees too w/their evil sap. However you know I disagree w/you about the palms. :) I'll never understand the thought that all palms belong in South FL?

I've just recently returned from Columbia, SC which is in the Midlands and they use the Sabal very heavily in landscaping and it blends well w/the native trees. They seem to have developed a sense of state pride of their state tree. We have the same state tree (even though they call it the PAM-METTA) but we tend to have fear and disgust for it. Often wonder why that is? I've also seen them used heavily in Augusta, GA and even our neighbor Valdosta, none of which these places look like or want to be South FL.

A few native Sabals blended w/other native trees wouldn't bother me a bit. To me that's what North FL is and yes we are North Florida, not South GA or South AL no matter how close we are to them.

Yeah the long leaf pines do look better. We had some in the yard when I lived in Monticello years ago.

I guess my thing on Palms being in Tallahassse is because Tallahassee could pass for any Georiga or Alabama city. Rolling red clay hills with large oak trees. To me most of south Florida and the coast is flat and very sandy with small trees. And yes palms.

Also Tallahassee having a more southern feel than some other the other cities in Florida especially in the southern part of the state.

Another thing I think the southern character with out the palm trees makes Tallahassee standout amoung cities in Florida and it gives us a unique identity in the state.

Archived