IN PROGRESS: American Locomotive Works (ALCO)

will they extend the riverwalk from the mall through this project???

If not, I think they should...

SBE&R won't be extending the riverwalk through to the mall, because their project does not extend that far, but there are plans for the city to work on improvements up there. Not sure of a timetable or funding for those improvements though. The eventual fate of the Produce Warehouse I'm sure will contribute to plans for that end.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SBE&R won't be extending the riverwalk through to the mall, because their project does not extend that far, but there are plans for the city to work on improvements up there. Not sure of a timetable or funding for those improvements though. The eventual fate of the Produce Warehouse I'm sure will contribute to plans for that end.

thats a good start. Whenever I leave the mall or the Dunk and pass by the foundry, I think how nice that section of the river would be if they at least cleaned it up. An extention of the riverwalk from the mall down to the Projo building would be even better!!

I think the longterm goal is to have the riverwalk go pretty much all the way to Route 295!

Yes, "The 903" condo sales center (in the lobby) has a full rendering of the new riverwalk up to the Journal Building at least, I believe. That do state is is planned but not yet funded.

Yes, "The 903" condo sales center (in the lobby) has a full rendering of the new riverwalk up to the Journal Building at least, I believe. That do state is is planned but not yet funded.

REALLY - thats great - I love the riverwalk and (obviously) want to see it expanded. I thought I had heard it would be done to the Projo building - aren't they also doing it up past Citizens to the Amtrak station too??

Anywhere to see those renderings on-line???

I was looking at that render again... wow. would love to see the same shot taken in 5-10 years when ALCO is up and running and downtown has a big skyline that isn't completely dominated by the "big three". It also bothered me, again, seeing that much empty space over by the Dean St exit.

• 1 month later...

after looking at that render/ aerial picture of providence

it occured to me, federal hill and all the new promenade developments need better connections

pedestrian bridges, maybe an auto bridge somewhere over rt 10

for sooooo many reasons

the whole promenade area and the valley neighborhood are really cut off by the 10/6 connector. that would have to be one big bridge though...

• 1 month later...

I'm all about the city subsidizing loans and giving grants for downpayments to any group that can come to the city with a solid business plan.

Absolutely.

Unfortunately, the city is either not in a position to do this, or not willing to do this right now.

This is PRECISELY why we need some sort of inclusionary/linkage provision to build up the resources for the city to be able to dole out funds to worthy entrepreneurial and creative groups. Slice off a tiny bit from The Big Guys to make a huge difference for The Little Guys.

I know I've said it before and I know I represent the evil developer side of things, but if you start "taxing" developers you will see less housing being built, fewer abandoned buildings being revitalized, etc. I agree that preserving affordability, protecting artists and low-income families should be a priority, but I don't believe that forcing a developer to cover these costs is the way to do it. It is a community burden to be shared by--the community.

Archived