IN PROGRESS: American Locomotive Works (ALCO)

as long as the babylon (joking here) or the living room (not joking on this one) don't close because of it... i really hope alco transforms this neighborhood. i think it has a lot of potential to as it fills the gap between eastern butcher block/eagle square and the promenade area (foundry, 903, mall).

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as long as the babylon (joking here) or the living room (not joking on this one) don't close because of it... i really hope alco transforms this neighborhood. i think it has a lot of potential to as it fills the gap between eastern butcher block/eagle square and the promenade area (foundry, 903, mall).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

i noticed banners now wrap the valley st fence as well as the eagle st fence.

Not sure if its related, but a couple days ago I saw utility folks either installing or repairing crosswalk lights crossing eagle street (by the entrance to eagle sq with the laundromat).

Has anyone noticed the brightly lit "American Locomotive Works" sign on top of the finished? Its very garish and looks fantastic from Federal Hill and Dean Street. I love when these bright spots suddenly rise up in otherwise formerly dark parts of town. Its a different font than Rising Sun but the same concept. I think it looks very cool ...

Has anyone noticed the brightly lit "American Locomotive Works" sign on top of the finished? Its very garish and looks fantastic from Federal Hill and Dean Street. I love when these bright spots suddenly rise up in otherwise formerly dark parts of town. Its a different font than Rising Sun but the same concept. I think it looks very cool ...

As someone who grew up in Pittsburgh and watched the decline of manufacturing rip the heart out of the city (as well as the impact said decline has had on communities nationwide), I applaud RIDEC going on the record as trying to work towards growing manufacturing in the state.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the focus group that they had a week or 2 ago. They buildign they were focusing on is the buildign farthest to the right on the site, right next to where the bridge goes over and the eastern butcher block sign is. Here are my thoughts:

1) Streuver brothers (atleast there represetnative) don't quite understand the culture of the area that the building is in. They didnt even know that there was a flea market that happens on the weekends and the fair that comes through each year. (Propoerty value slowly going down).

2) They were a little out of wack with the number of studio style apartments compared to what the focus group wanted. They had atleast double the numebr of studios as compared to 1 bed, 1+ bed and 2 bed.

3) Price point was not understood or not explained to the focus group. From what i have been hearing they are looking at $1.80 a sq foot. The foundry and the 903 are around that price tag. Rising Sun Mills is between $1.30 and $1.50 a sq foot. Price point seems high for the area especially since they could not tells about each apartments amenities, granite, slat aluminum appliances etc...

4) The floor plans look pretty nice, there doesn't seem to be any posts in front of cabinets. However the kitchens where tight and would lack cabinet storage space, very similar to RSM.

5) The outside grounds development seemed like a nice design. They are brining back some of the historic parts of the grounds with a walking track emulating the original test track for cars. They are keen on cleaning up the river area too which is really nice.

Over all i was inpressed by there historic research but not as impressed by there knowledge of what has and has not worked in these mills previously. They seemed to have little concept of noise problems which is certianly one of the biggest in RSM along with heating and cooling costs. They also seemd to not have a good handle on the price point and what the market would sustain or need in that area. I guess this is what the focus group was supposed to help them with. I certianly hope they listened and took good notes.

I finally saw the sign this weekend as I drove north on Dean Street. It is...well... big, but I like it. Can't wait to see it lit. So far, however, I could only see it from Dean St.

the riverwalk extension is a great part of this development - waterfire or not, I've always envisioned the riverwalks to etend to the ALCO area, the current 195 bridge area, and past Capitol Cove - all of which seem to be falling into place in the next few years!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived