Is the 'Real World' hurting Austins' image?

eastsider

Is the "Real World' hurting Austins' image?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is the "Real World' hurting Austins' image?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

News 8 Austin: How real is 'The Real World Austin'

Apparently, the show is showing a bunch of drunk idiots fighting and causing trouble. People's opinion of the city could be shaped by what is seen on the show. City leaders are trying to focus on the positive side of the exposure the show is creating, rather than the controversy.

Austin's Convention and Visitor's Bureau says The Real World is giving the city more than $20 million worth of media exposure, which should help with any image concerns the show may create.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel so grown up after watching the show. Also, where do these idiots get all this money to go get drunk every night? If you ask me, all of them need a really stiff right cross to the eye. I mean good lord, freakin get your ass out of bed before 10:00 and go out a see the city. I would love to see more of the city, but all we get is a glimpse of the skyline every now and then and tons of footage of the inside of bars or their loft apt.

But to answer your question, I think Austin is safe. Anyone with half a brain will know that there is more to the city than what is portrayed on the "Real World".

• 4 months later...

Don't know, haven't watched the show. If it's just the usual crap that MTV puts out then I doubt it because they tend to show that no matter what city they're in. Now if the people there were actually on camera complaining about there wasn't anything to 'do' in the city or something then maybe.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

:lol: in my late 20's now I had forgot all about TRW, that Austin is appearing deserted and boring is never a good thing.

As far as them getting drunk and fighting, its what u get when u keep telling the nation "Keep Austin Weird".

• 7 months later...

I watched the full season. What stuck out in my mind was the Frost Tower and the 6th street party scene. I don't think it was the show that hurt the image of Austin, it was the drunk cast and the fact that they exploited everything "party." Reading more about Austin and actually seeing pictures have shaped a different picture. I had no idea Whole Foods was started there or that the city was growing rapidly. I did not like how the Real World portrayed Austin at all. It made me imagine what would happen if they had chosen Nashville instead.

• 2 months later...

Archived