Richmond Sports

eandslee

I think it's real cute they already have a website up and running....

anyway, a few drawings of their stadium down there....http://gwinnettbraves.com/stadium.html

It's the equivalent of being built in the middle of West Broad Village. No character, surface parking, and strip malls..such a shame. If this has what our AAA team has stooped down to, then be gone.

According to NBC12, the Nationals reached out to Richmond on the proposition of being home to one of their minor league teams two months ago, but the city administration chose to continue negotiations with the Braves in good faith. I'd be curious as to which level the Nationals would suggest locating in Richmond. I think I read that their AAA affiliate in Columbus only has about 2 more years remaining on its lease there.... Sounds like just enough time for us to build a new stadium and welcome a new team :thumbsup:

I hope Wilder has the stones to jump back on their proposition, get a stadium built along the Boulevard and back it up with entertainment, mixed-use and mass transit alternatives. If he is serious about getting another team for Richmond, this is our fresh start.

Thanks for the reply. This is going to stray off-topic but now that we've started it I have to wonder if people in the burbs are aware of or willing to acknowledge all the positive developments that have occurred in the City just in the last 5 years or so? I've seen a ton of improvement in the short amount of time that I've been here and am really excited about the direction we are going... then again I'm not tainted by past perceptions and thats one thing the City has to work on. I don't think public perception matches current reality. The reality is downtown is becoming a bustling place again, with great cultural offerings and distinct, quality restaurants and shops. But I guess with an antagonistic Wilder at the helm and generating the headlines, it's just concreting the opinions of those hard to reach folks who stay out in the counties. I think a true leader could find a way to bridge these gaps but as we've unfortunately discovered, Doug Wilder is not that person.

Yes, that is true...please forgive me for straying so far off topic from Richmond Sports........but perhaps these are reasons things didn't progress as swift as they should have for a new stadium...

The public perception does not match current reality to a point. I have family members who grew up in the city, even worked for the city years and years ago and they find it hard to believe it when I tell them about places like Rocketts Landing and the development in the Fan and elsewhere. I have to actually show them. It's not that they don't want to believe it, but that it had gotten so bad that it seemed there was no getting out of the hole dug by decay and blight and no way things could be like the way they were when the city was a hub of activity and commerce and a decent place to live.

I read some of the posts yesterday and I was disgusted at the attitude. I'm going to repost a recent post from RCW here.

I have thought over and over about how harsh people are toward our mayor. How did this become his project? He did promise a new stadium, but he didn't say when. Well there's supposedly a plan which seems to be getting ignored, probably because it came too late. The average angry suburbanite being overly critical at the moment should know, nothing gets built without a plan. Planning takes time. Every piece has to be in place before any action can be taken and Smarty-Pantele should know better. What really has he done for the city or the region?

I can't understand how our society had groomed so many people to believe everything can instantly be accomplished. Maybe our suburban friends are used to the overdevelopment easily being approved and everything seemingly ironed out from the start. But I do think had the counties taken on building this stadium, it still wouldn't have been built for what was being asked.

I guess we as a city should just build everything and worry about the money or impact afterward. That's the lesson learned from this, from initial idea to finish, there should be 6 months. Nothing more. Nothing less. No excuses. Just build.

...And I'll reiterate what I said in response on RCW:

Just the fact that since 2003, the Braves and the Richmond area have been talking about building a new stadium and we are no closer today to a new stadium then we were back in 2003! Sure, it takes time to put a plan together, but 5 plus years? Give me freakin' break! If I were the Braves, I'd be leaving too! Inaction is just a bad, if not worse, than hasty action! Gwinnett County officials, according to a report from NBC 12, get things done, PERIOD! It's a mentality that Richmond and the surrounding counties need to learn from. This region needs to come together and get behind something TOGETHER and quit all this "it's not in my jurisdiction" crap! Richmond will never get anywhere unless this crap can be overcome! What an embarrassment regardless of whether or not you liked the RBraves! A complete, utter embarrassment! Richmond should be ashamed!

I read some of the posts yesterday and I was disgusted at the attitude. I'm going to repost a recent post from RCW here.

I have thought over and over about how harsh people are toward our mayor. How did this become his project? He did promise a new stadium, but he didn't say when. Well there's supposedly a plan which seems to be getting ignored, probably because it came too late. The average angry suburbanite being overly critical at the moment should know, nothing gets built without a plan. Planning takes time. Every piece has to be in place before any action can be taken and Smarty-Pantele should know better. What really has he done for the city or the region?

I can't understand how our society had groomed so many people to believe everything can instantly be accomplished. Maybe our suburban friends are used to the overdevelopment easily being approved and everything seemingly ironed out from the start. But I do think had the counties taken on building this stadium, it still wouldn't have been built for what was being asked.

I guess we as a city should just build everything and worry about the money or impact afterward. That's the lesson learned from this, from initial idea to finish, there should be 6 months. Nothing more. Nothing less. No excuses. Just build.

yeah, but come on man...almost five years now we've been debating this. Washington DC landed the Expos in the fall of 2004, they began playing in 2005 and in 2008 will be playing in their brand new stadium. So that's 3 1/2 years and a MLB franchise. Why is it we couldn't get a AAA ball park built in 4 1/2 years (and that's using the timeline of the initial idea to put the ballpark in Shockoe Bottom, which was fall of 2003).

Gwinnett County, GA negotiated with the Braves in three months and will have a stadium up in one year. Now obviously things must be planned out to get things right. We have a notorious habit of having a "good enough" mentality when we need to focus on excellence, but it really took way too long to get this done. Way too long. And the Braves had enough of being patronized by our local bad habits.

I for one don't blame Doug Wilder in the sense that it's his fault or he didn't do enough. The governments, the business community, and whoever else was actually involved just took too long to get this done. It was talked to death and we'll learn nothing from this. Just like that downtown master plan, we'll just talk it to death, have constant meetings and solicit input from everyone and their third cousin. At some point, plans need to be implemented.

Edited by lch4

According to NBC12, the Nationals reached out to Richmond on the proposition of being home to one of their minor league teams two months ago, but the city administration chose to continue negotiations with the Braves in good faith. I'd be curious as to which level the Nationals would suggest locating in Richmond. I think I read that their AAA affiliate in Columbus only has about 2 more years remaining on its lease there.... Sounds like just enough time for us to build a new stadium and welcome a new team :thumbsup:

In fact, the Washington Nationals' relationship with Columbus Clippers ends after the 2008 season, then Cleveland can consider taking over the Clippers.

I don't put blame on Doug Wilder as a lot of people were placing blame on him. The Atlanta Braves have tried to put a stadium in the parts of Richmond that won't work, let alone downtown or Shockoe Bottom. I am in favor of renovating the Diamond instead of building an all-new stadium. I know the Diamond is antiquated by Triple-A standards, it doesn't have anything as cool as Harbor Park in Norfolk has.

So, I think Richmond can be better off spending money renovating it instead of building an all-new one. Think of the long term investment.

So, I think Richmond can be better off spending money renovating it instead of building an all-new one. Think of the long term investment.

Nope, that won't happen either because Richmond area leadership will spend the next 5 years debating on how to even do that and by that time, all bets will be off the table. This is, of course, unless Richmond learns its lesson, which I highly doubt based on Richmond's record. Why is it that this city can't get its act together? Gee, this is a city of a lot of talk and no action. At least, Richmond is talking though, because before no one was even talking. Progress is progress, but it is still not an excuse for Richmond's pathetic handling of this situation. I thought Richmond would have had more class. You know, I don't care too much about baseball - this issue, to me, is about principle and somehow Richmond leadership seems to be able to ruin virtually anything that comes its way. Incredible!...and very embarrassing!

I am sorry to hear about the loss of the braves. I have quite a few friends from richmond who are diehard fans :(. However, if a new team (and i am sure there will be one) comes out of this....here's my take on a new name. The Richmond Cavalry -with reference to the history behind the infamous cavalry in the war between the states. Also, i might add that cavalry was used to crush the indians in the push westward for new territory. Come to think of it, braves are indians...concidence? i think not :)

Nope, that won't happen either because Richmond area leadership will spend the next 5 years debating on how to even do that and by that time, all bets will be off the table. This is, of course, unless Richmond learns its lesson, which I highly doubt based on Richmond's record. Why is it that this city can't get its act together? Gee, this is a city of a lot of talk and no action. At least, Richmond is talking though, because before no one was even talking. Progress is progress, but it is still not an excuse for Richmond's pathetic handling of this situation. I thought Richmond would have had more class. You know, I don't care too much about baseball - this issue, to me, is about principle and somehow Richmond leadership seems to be able to ruin virtually anything that comes its way. Incredible!...and very embarrassing!

Want to talk about class? How do you like the league not allowing us talk to any other teams until they feel like it? From this mornings Times Dispatch article interviewing IL President Randy Mobley...

He also said any franchise that talks with Richmond officials without permission is subject to a $25,000 to $50,000 fine from Minor League Baseball.

"There will be a time when we will grant them consent," he said. "But it's going to be when we're 100 percent certain we're going down the path [to Gwinnett] for 2009."

Sounds pretty fishy. Either the Braves and the IL are acting like spoiled brats throwing a temper tantrum or this "move" to Atlanta is just a ploy to get more money and a faster time line out of the RMA in their panic to keep the Braves in town. Here's a link to the full article... New team will have to wait

That would be great. I have been a Braves fan all of my life untill now. I am now a Nationals Fan and hope to stay that way. God I hope Nats bring AAA here to Richmond. It would make so much sense for AAA Nats to relocate here so that when players go from AAA to MLB its only a 2 hour drive or less than an hour flight.

Pretty balanced and fair assessment by the RTD editorial...

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/opinion.apx....01-17-0054.html

I know it's the cool thing to pile all the blame on Wilder, but I agree with this assessment:

Although accusatory fingers point at Doug Wilder (with considerable justification), many share the blame. A crucial lesson relates to regionalism. The Richmond Metropolitan Authority's ownership of The Diamond suggests a regional component, but the region as a region never came together regarding the Braves. The Stadium Operating Committee did not assume a decisive public presence. The team draws fans from throughout the metro area. A comprehensive vision was lacking.

And while losing the Braves is a blow to civic morale, it's worth noting that:

An important caveat applies to the broader issue relating to sports and their localities. Jurisdictions often give lucrative incentives to teams; sometimes they build stadiums for billionaires. Yet while government can help with site selection and certain infrastructure, vital services such as education, law enforcement, transportation, and health care stake superior claims to public revenue. Stadiums can enhance neighborhoods, as is the case in Baltimore. They are not salvational, as is the case in Baltimore. The Orioles and Ravens play in friendly confines. Baltimore continues to bleed population. Entire stretches stand vacant. The schools remain a mess. Teams have the potential to boost civic morale. Cities need to be more than amusement parks.

This was Wilder's baby. If there was a lack of regional support, it was his job to gain it. It was his job to keep this project on track and to inform Atlanta about the process. Only one phone call was made from Richmond to Atlanta in the past 6 months. Who

Who is to say we should have a new stadium? Just because we want it, does not mean we can afford it with other budgetary items on the table. Honestly, how much would it cost and how must would it bring in? The area it currently sits...sucks. There is nothing supporting it, no commercial area, no supporting retail. You can not assume one will bring the other, private investors don't work that way. They want to see proformas, they don't want to see RED numbers. They want to see the stadium at capacity, which is not the history of the RBraves. We, as a city, have not been very supportive. Build a new stadium for the 5000 that attend? We are at the crossroads where we have to reinvent the wheel on how Richmond builds a stadium, if Richmond is to build a stadium. That is not an easy step to move on

Five years was ample time to figure that out. If the numbers didn't work for Richmond and if Wilder couldn't get private support then he should have been upfront with Atlanta and advised them to take the team elsewhere. The lack of communication was unacceptable. Wilder campaigned on his ability to make business deals and to run the city. It is clear that he is capable of neither.

Wilder wasn't on the scene 5 years ago... Everyone was on board back then to do a thorough renovation of the diamond. Then, Calvin Jamison goes "hey, why not build one downtown instead!?!" Sketchy Global Development shows up with their imaginative financing scheme for a stadium in the Bottom. I wasn't opposed to the stadium there, but thank god we didn't nip at the bait on that hook. Today those guys are duking it out in court amongst themselves after their multiple failed attempts at trying to pass the same sketchiness onto other places (like DC). That whole ordeal sidetracked everything and it took time to bring everyone back to the table for a stadium on the Boulevard.

Five years was ample time to figure that out. If the numbers didn't work for Richmond and if Wilder couldn't get private support then he should have been upfront with Atlanta and advised them to take the team elsewhere. The lack of communication was unacceptable. Wilder campaigned on his ability to make business deals and to run the city. It is clear that he is capable of neither.

Sounds like one of the members of those RBI (Richmond Baseball Initiative) Jerks who tried to fist a stadium in the Bottom to me. If Staubach Co. was working on a preliminary plan, don't you think that the Braves should have been a little more patient? No, I guess not. While Wilder was telling the Nationals that we were in good faith negotiations with the Braves concerning keeping them here and we couldn't really discuss their sending a AAA or AA team to Richmond, the Braves organization was out slutting around with Ms. Gwinnett, creating websites, cherry-picking a location for their new stadium.

Let's be honest here, if anyone is to blame, it is the lame-arse non-supporting supposed 'fans' that live around here for not supporting the R-Braves more and RBI, Calvin Jamison, and Rudy 'Fathead' McCollum for pumping the Braves' heads full of garbage on how wonderful it would be to have a stadium in Shockoe Bottom.

You may not like Wilder, and that's o.k., but you cannot possibly lay this blame on him. I am sure that someone in the Braves organization had a line of communication with Staubach Co. and was well aware of the progress on the preliminary design.

While most area residents are mourning the loss of the Braves and know where the blame lies, here's a sports story on the local level about today's matchup between The Rams and The Monarchs at The Ted in Norfolk this afternoon:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/more....01-19-0135.html

Excellent game by Coach Anthony Grant and the Rams!!! Even with poor officiating, the Rams were able to silence the crowd and put one in the "win" column.

Excellent game by Coach Anthony Grant and the Rams!!! Even with poor officiating, the Rams were able to silence the crowd and put one in the "win" column.

Wasn't this the first win for the Rams at Norfolk?

Already, feelers are out to lure Grant away from Richmond. U of South Carolina maybe be looking for a replacement and is sniffing around VCU.

Here's the RTD story of yesterday's game for Eric, Majors and other out-of-towners:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-...01-20-0249.html

Edited by burt

Thanks Burt I either watch or listen to every game online. Not the first win in Norfolk by a long shot. Just the first win in a couple of years. On the other hand odu has NEVER won at the siegle center and they are going to lose again this year. I will be in Richmond again soon for the tournament.

And coach Grants not going anywhere. The damn TD has been pushing him out the door every since he got here. They dont have a clue.