Richmond Sports

eandslee

Sadly last night UR lost to Appalachain State in Boone NC for the NCAA Football Division 1 Semifinals. Game was on ESPN 2 and actually UR did better than I thought they would. Because when you play a team like Appalachain State thats a pretty big deal for UR not only that but Appy State beat Univesity of Michigan this year which was a huge upset for Appy State even though Michigan wasnt highly ranked as they normally are. Both Michigan and Notre Dame had off season this year. end of rant just thought I would throw out some college football knowledge out there. Oh yeah go UVA!!!

Eric I had a relative that played football for UVA and now plays football for the Pittsburgh Steelers who is on my dads side of the family. GO HEATH MILLER WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heath Miller is one of your relatives? Wow! I really enjoyed seeing him play football at UVA! What a excellent ball player! Just think, now he's probably making millions! :)

Yeah Heath Miller is awesome. He's on my dads side of the family from the mountains near bristol. Ive never really gotten to meet him since he's so far away from me and I rarely go down to the mountains to go visit my relatives in the mountains. The only few people in my family who have met him is my great aunt and other relatives back in the mountains. But yeah he's one hell of a ball player and im happy that he's a relative of mine and he also went to high school where my grandmother taught and where my dad would of gone to high school if my dad didnt move here to Richmond in the early 60's.

Benedictine defeats #1 in the nation Oak Hill Academy! This is huge news for the small local private high school on Sheppard Street. Benedictine nearly defeated them last year and with their win this year, takes the national spotlight. This should become a yearly rivalry that all Cadet fans and alumni will look forward to.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...12-16-0269.html

Go Cadets!

"Come fall in line you men of old B.C......."

Benedictine defeats #1 in the nation Oak Hill Academy! This is huge news for the small local private high school on Sheppard Street. Benedictine nearly defeated them last year and with their win this year, takes the national spotlight. This should become a yearly rivalry that all Cadet fans and alumni will look forward to.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...12-16-0269.html

Go Cadets!

"Come fall in line you men of old B.C......."

Good for the Cadets. Two of my brothers were Benedictine alums.

Is the school still planning a move to Goochland? What would happen to the building on Sheppard Street and the church next door that is similar in style? Maybe VMFA has its eye on the property for future expansion.

Edited by burt

Is the school still planning a move to Goochland? What would happen to the building on Sheppard Street and the church next door that is similar in style? Maybe VMFA has its eye on the property for future expansion.

There have been surveys for opinion on a possible move to Goochland, but I don't see it happening any time soon. If the time comes for Benedictine to move west, I would hope that the Diocese would use the space to expand St. Benedict grade school (where my kids currently go). In my opinion, St. B parochial could retain the current building at Grove and Belmont for K-5 and have a large middle school in the Benedictine building. The priests that reside at the Abbey location in Goochland would probably have to move back to the building adjacent to the church. The church will never close. The parish continues to grow and there are remodeling projects going on inside the church itself, not to mention the $200k roof that was put on 2 years ago. The church has even started using the old baptism fountain that I have never seen used before. More historic renovation. (My 3 month old was baptised in it a few weeks ago)

Personally, I would like to see the school relocate one day, to the Goochland site. It has to be difficult for student-atheletes that have to commute 45 minutes to practice every day after school. I think that basketball is about the only sport still played or practiced at the Sheppard Street site, and with their basketball program finally getting the national attention it deserves, that too, may be short-lived.

I would really like to see St. Benedict grade school (also same style construction) and/or St. Gertrude High School use the current facility in some fashion.

The Abbey Location is right next to my old neighborhood on River Road in Goochland. I miss James River Estates so much it was so peaceful in there. Everyone minded their own business. We play Benedictine this thursday night at the Siegal Center Freeman Vs Benedictine. Plus Freeman is one of the top schools in basketball thid year. Oh yeah and about Oak Hill thats where #1 Overall Draft Pick of the Wizards Kwame Brown went but I try to forget about it as bad as he sucks. Michael Jordan dont ever draft another player on your own without help. For the past few years you have made the Wizards a joke in the draft.

• 3 weeks later...

Im really excited for the 2008 Richmond Braves. Usually after winning a championship they have a Ceremony on opening day for the IL championship from the previous season. I expect to see a Ceremony for the Richmond Braves after winning the IL last year. Theres also a new team in the IL this year. It is the AAA Phillies team that moved from Ottawa Ontario to Allentown PA and are now called the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs. I cant wait to see the Braves play them. I really am looking forward to the AAA Braves this year. There should be some new young talent coming to Richmond. But alot of the same players should be back depending on what the A-Braves do and then they might cut some of the pitchers and they might not come back to Richmond cause Atlanta is really stacked on pitching after signing a few pitchers from the free agent market and from trades they have made. I am glad to see Tom Glavine back in Atlanta and out of New York Mets land. But I expect Richmond to have another strong year.

Im really excited for the 2008 Richmond Braves. Usually after winning a championship they have a Ceremony on opening day for the IL championship from the previous season. I expect to see a Ceremony for the Richmond Braves after winning the IL last year. Theres also a new team in the IL this year. It is the AAA Phillies team that moved from Ottawa Ontario to Allentown PA and are now called the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs. I cant wait to see the Braves play them. I really am looking forward to the AAA Braves this year. There should be some new young talent coming to Richmond. But alot of the same players should be back depending on what the A-Braves do and then they might cut some of the pitchers and they might not come back to Richmond cause Atlanta is really stacked on pitching after signing a few pitchers from the free agent market and from trades they have made. I am glad to see Tom Glavine back in Atlanta and out of New York Mets land. But I expect Richmond to have another strong year.

The Richmond Braves will be history by 2009. We will no longer have a baseball team to cheer for. You guys better get familiar with the "House of Thrills" down at the corner of Broad and Harrison because VCU will be the best game in town. Look for the Braves to move to Georgia soon. (Gwinnett)

It doesn't bother me in the least to se the Braves leave. I have thought for years that lower-level minor league baseball would be more appealing. AAA has so few real prospects that stay for any length of time. A or AA would be more exciting to me as good prospects generally stay with those clubs longer. For instance, Andruw Jones swung through Richmond for all of 2 weeks. The big club is anxious to call the top guys up once they reach the AA level, in many cases bypassing the AA team altogether and promoting directly to the majors.

OMG I AM SO FRICKEN FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!I knew this would happen and is exactly why I am leaving Richmond cause sports around here gets so much crap. We aint never gonna be able to support a real sports team till the day I die and is exactly why I want to leave Richmond. You would think with close to 1.2 million people we would be able to support sports here in this town. I dont want a AA or A level club cause the stadium is going to look like a cardboard box and isnt that big. I hate AA and A stadiums cause there is no upper decks. I am gonna just move out of Richmond and head to a city that has a real sports team. Atlanta GA here I come. Im sick of this dump that has no sports teams that are worth a dam. Im going to Atlanta and worship the A-Braves just like you see at Fenway Park. I am sick of this bull crap and on the news they said its gonna effect the economy. Of course it is the city is the ones who let this crap happen. Like I said I live in a below average city where nothing gets done and all we do is talk talk talk.

OMG I AM SO FRICKEN FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!I knew this would happen and is exactly why I am leaving Richmond cause sports around here gets so much crap. We aint never gonna be able to support a real sports team till the day I die and is exactly why I want to leave Richmond. You would think with close to 1.2 million people we would be able to support sports here in this town. I dont want a AA or A level club cause the stadium is going to look like a cardboard box and isnt that big. I hate AA and A stadiums cause there is no upper decks. I am gonna just move out of Richmond and head to a city that has a real sports team. Atlanta GA here I come. Im sick of this dump that has no sports teams that are worth a dam. Im going to Atlanta and worship the A-Braves just like you see at Fenway Park. I am sick of this bull crap and on the news they said its gonna effect the economy. Of course it is the city is the ones who let this crap happen. Like I said I live in a below average city where nothing gets done and all we do is talk talk talk.

Bon voyage Downtowner and the RBraves... you won't be missed. Seriously people, what do the Braves bring to Richmond? Why do you think a city even needs a sports franchise to have an identity? This is completely ridiculous how people are getting upset over this. It means NOTHING except that area taxpayers will have more money to spend on businesses that can manage to stay afloat on their own instead of leeching off the tax base. This move is long overdue. Let some other sucker locality spend tens of millions to build them a ballpark and let Richmond spend its money continuing to improve downtown. If the demand for a baseball team was there this issue wouldn't even exist but the fact of the matter is, in a metro-area of 1 million plus a baseball game brings in 3,000 (thats THOUSAND) on a good night. Why should all the people who obviously don't want to watch baseball subsidize the hobby of this minority? The Braves at first supported the idea of rebuilding on Boulevard and now, after the city has spent time and money putting a new plan together, we find the Braves have been courting another locale basically behind our backs. Let the jack***es go and be done with it.

RIC75 I dont use the city or county parks but I still pay taxes to build them and they do me no good at all. It goes around with everything you can think of that is used for taxpayers money. Believe it or not but all the other cities that have a minor league team are owned by the city and not the team. So if I was the city I would buy the Richmond Braves from the Atlanta Braves just like all the other cities do. Believe it or not but I am no longer a Braves fan but am now a Nationals Fan. I hate the fact that they spent all this money for research and plannig for the ballpark and then say that they are going to leave Richmond. I really hope the Columbus Clippers come ot Richmond so that they are only 2 hours away from the MLB team. Id really love to see the Clippers here in Richmond.