Growth: Fallschace

cityboy05

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tallahassee Prepares as Fallschase Development Begins

After 30 long years of waiting, the sign at Fallschase will actually begin to have some meaning. Hundreds of homes are slated to begin construction soon, and along with them, more shopping in Florida's Capital City. Many have expressed disappointment with the developer's choice of Wal-Mart as one of the major anchors in the new shopping Plaza, but the convienance does mean fewer cars clogging up nearby roads to get to the other Wal-Mart just 3 miles away on Apalachee Parkway.

Here are some pictures of the land clearning that recently began:

marchupdate032.jpg

marchupdate033.jpg

marchupdate034.jpg

marchupdate035.jpg

marchupdate036.jpg

marchupdate037.jpg

marchupdate038.jpg

marchupdate039.jpg

marchupdate040.jpg

marchupdate041.jpg

marchupdate042.jpg

marchupdate043.jpg

marchupdate044.jpg

Maybe it is because I am a liberal, anti-corporation, pro-environment jerk, or maybe it is because I live next door in Weems, but I still find something sad about clear-cutting an area this size in an area known for its canopy roads and distaste for the concrete jungle of south Florida all for yet another Wal-Mart.

I have no problem with the residential development, as that area has just been sitting there for 30 years waiting for houses.

I also will be first in line to get my Costco membership.

Still, I look at what has happened to places like Fort Myers, and see the same things happening here. The fancy, brand new shopping centers built in the 80's are being abandoned for the fancier, newer big boxes. The "old" stores sit vacant, while 500,000 new square feet of asphalt runoff is generated ever further from the center. There are a couple old Publixes sitting empty, the Albertson's on the parkway too. Who knows what will happen with the old Sam's? With Kmart's troubles, will ours survive without the Publix next door?

Before we pave a forest and further pollute the aquifer, couldn't we put Costco on the old Albertson's site and put up the movie houses on the west side of Cap Cir NE just north of Mahan?

I have no problem with the owners developing their land, but it should fit some sort of master plan. There are some fantastic new commercial developments that build into the landscape, rather than pave over it and start fresh.

You will not see me out there protesting, as the whole thing makes me sad rather than angry. However, those of you who do not live nearby but plan to vist Costco, I hope that you will forgive me if I shoot out your tires so that I can get out of my own subdivision.

Maybe it is because I am a liberal, anti-corporation, pro-environment jerk, or maybe it is because I live next door in Weems, but I still find something sad about clear-cutting an area this size in an area known for its canopy roads and distaste for the concrete jungle of south Florida all for yet another Wal-Mart.

I have no problem with the residential development, as that area has just been sitting there for 30 years waiting for houses.

I also will be first in line to get my Costco membership.

Still, I look at what has happened to places like Fort Myers, and see the same things happening here. The fancy, brand new shopping centers built in the 80's are being abandoned for the fancier, newer big boxes. The "old" stores sit vacant, while 500,000 new square feet of asphalt runoff is generated ever further from the center. There are a couple old Publixes sitting empty, the Albertson's on the parkway too. Who knows what will happen with the old Sam's? With Kmart's troubles, will ours survive without the Publix next door?

Before we pave a forest and further pollute the aquifer, couldn't we put Costco on the old Albertson's site and put up the movie houses on the west side of Cap Cir NE just north of Mahan?

I have no problem with the owners developing their land, but it should fit some sort of master plan. There are some fantastic new commercial developments that build into the landscape, rather than pave over it and start fresh.

You will not see me out there protesting, as the whole thing makes me sad rather than angry. However, those of you who do not live nearby but plan to vist Costco, I hope that you will forgive me if I shoot out your tires so that I can get out of my own subdivision.

There is nothing wrong with growth. However, I think that people have a right to expect that every effort will be made to manage that growth in a way that is consistent with the character of the area. Southwood's concept fit within the character, and the area out by I-10 appears to have made some efforts to fit into the landscape, not blot it out of existence. I am also sure that the low population density around those areas didn't hurt, nor did their lack of impact on an already clogged commute.

I personally think the Mahan/Buck Lake area is a bit underserved in terms of retail options. On the other hand, restaurants in the area keep closing, there are several vacancies in the Publix shopping center, there's a bunch of poorly designed and largely un-utilized commercial space all around, etc. Furthermore, the corner of Mahan and Capital Circle already backs up for 3-4 light cycles in the afternoon, and Weems Road is often clogged from Easterwood to Mahan (when it isn't closed off due to flooding from an afternoon rain storm). I bought this house because it is just under 5 miles to the Capital, and my commute is never more than 15 minutes. It's already frustrating enough waiting behind all the Buck Lake residents who use Weems as a "short-cut." I can't imagine what it'll be like when the WalMart and Costco open, and I am scared to death that all that water is going to run off down Weems or into my yard.

Carving out an area the size of the Tallahassee Mall property and replacing it with asphalt is unnecessary and contrary to what makes the Big Bend the Big Bend. None of the trees could stay? A 30-foot wall of dirt with a road on top is the answer to buffer the WalMart delivery trucks and trash canisters from Weems (and some parts of Fallschase residential areas as well)? There are already commercial vacancies and open spaces to fit everything that will be in Fallschase, but we choose to start fresh by clear-cutting. I have seen the fancy WalMarts in South Florida. However, a huge parking lot with a big box in the middle still looks nasty even if the visage reminds you of a Boca Raton strip mall instead of an Orlando one.

I will repeat that I will be a frequent shopper at Costco and probably the WalMart too, and I look forward to having new restaurants and possibly a theater so close to home. I simply find it sad and I guess plain lazy that it couldn't be done better. Maybe that is the best word that I can use -- lazy. Anyone can pave over a forest and place a big box in the middle. Putting a couple arches in front and using pastels doesn't make it special. Special would be doing something that demonstrates an awareness of its surroundings, putting a Tallahassee touch on it.

Fallschase alone doesn't make us South Florida. However, all the commercial dead spots and vacancies within Capital Circle and the recent proliferation of more and more "clear-cut, pave, and box" shops around town sure looks familiar. As we grow, we obviously have to widen roads and build, but there is more than one way to build a store.

Time to get off my soap box. I don't care about this as much as all this rambling would suggest. I guess I was just disheartened by all the cheering for this shopping center being done this way and the mocking of people who place a higher value on other things than convenient shopping.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I had no idea that Fallschase included the area that will become the commercial center. I thought it was just the proposed residential area behind that 70's-lettering sign on Buck Lake. I don't know if I would have looked elsewhere had I known what I could have known in 2005. However, had I known that it was going to be a 24-hour Super WalMart next door, I probably would not have purchased this house. And I cannot guarantee anyone's tires will be safe. If my only access road to the outside world is bumper to bumper with traffic at any time other than 5:15 pm to 5:45 pm, I am going to create a lane somehow. If you want to go to Costco, use that 6-lane US highway to get there, and we will have no problems. :shades:

Oh yeah, one more thing. I had no idea that Fallschase included the area that will become the commercial center. I thought it was just the proposed residential area behind that 70's-lettering sign on Buck Lake. I don't know if I would have looked elsewhere had I known what I could have known in 2005. However, had I known that it was going to be a 24-hour Super WalMart next door, I probably would not have purchased this house. And I cannot guarantee anyone's tires will be safe. If my only access road to the outside world is bumper to bumper with traffic at any time other than 5:15 pm to 5:45 pm, I am going to create a lane somehow. If you want to go to Costco, use that 6-lane US highway to get there, and we will have no problems. :shades:

bahmo while you may not want Tally to have the appearance of a concrete jungle that is South Florida, by threatening to slash people's tires, this ex-South Floridian sees that you've not adopted the sweet hospitality of Tally but rather have retained the aggression and mean spirit that is all to prevalent down there.

Well, since Kohl's is going where the Albertson's is, that would be difficult. Also, the big box section of Fallschase is part of a master plan, albeit a not well designed master plan that is removing many of the trees on site. The next phase is supposed to be the village center, which should look quite a bit better than what is going out there. As far as the movie theater, that is up for grabs, since the Pinnacle at Cross Creek at I-10 and Mahan also includes a theater.

We haven't discussed the Pinnacle at Cross Creek much. What level of detail is available for this project?

And when you say "The next phase is supposed to be the village center, which should look quite better than what is going out there." What do you mean by outhere? Are we talking about Fallschase or some other place. I'm just asking for clairification because I got a little confused.

bahmo while you may not want Tally to have the appearance of a concrete jungle that is South Florida, by threatening to slash people's tires, this ex-South Floridian sees that you've not adopted the sweet hospitality of Tally but rather have retained the aggression and mean spirit that is all to prevalent down there.

I thought I was the only one who believed in the "White Flight" taking place here in Tallahassee. Any who Bahmo I can understand your frustration with these ugly wooden boxes we call homes here in town. We do need more variety in the types of homes being built at a reasonable price.

I thought I was the only one who believed in the "White Flight" taking place here in Tallahassee. Any who Bahmo I can understand your frustration with these ugly wooden boxes we call homes here in town. We do need more variety in the types of homes being built at a reasonable price.

Archived