Metro Birmingham Projects List

ironchapman

About the Federal Reserve project - I saw the article touting the Lexington Collection hotel to be incorporated in the property. I found their website, and the Lexington Collection properties don't look very impressive to me. Am I missing something? I would prefer an Omni for the Federal Reserve site, which I saw suggested on another board.

By the way, you can go to the Melaver website and see a photo image of how they envision the new structure fitting into the block. Here's the link:

http://www.melaver.com/Development/D...ent3.asp?id=29

Hold your mouse over the image to see a larger version.

^ Yeah, my part of metro (north) is really growing like wild. Gardendale, Fultondale, Kimberly, Morris, and now it looks like maybe Warrior.

I think that would be outstanding news for them because I think Warrior had been a community struggling a bit lately. Again, I know folks will say developments like this only further the sprawl, but I'm of the opinion that this is the lesser of two evils. I'd MUCH rather hear about new developments around Gardendale/Fultondale, etc. than Hoover/Alabaster simply because the growth to the south has been absolutely out of control.

Maybe people will take note of what's going on in the northern part of Jefferson County and decide to relocate here as opposed to Shelby County or St. Clair County. At least that way Jefferson County won't be losing in population.

Blazer85, it seems that your end of the county is the main topic of discussion in this recent article from The News:

Backwoods is now a hot spot

The article entails the development and construction of 14 subdivisions in Kimberly :shok: , 2 in Morris, and 4 in Warrior under construction. In addition to that the discussion of the development off the main interchange in Warrior (Exit 282) with possible big-box retailers, Caufield Square in Gardendale, and Colonial Promenade Fultondale. The northern area of Jeffco (along with Bessemer/SW Jeffco, Trussville/Clay, SW part of Hoover) seems to the be county's renewed hope of gaining a number of new residents when the 2010 Census is done. I'm hoping that Jeffco will finally reach 670,000-685,000 number by the 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm losing track of these projects. Of all the big projects that have been announced (the parks, the 20th St. redevelopment, the redevelopment at the Fed Reserve site, etc.) which one's do you guys think will actually come to fruition?

Actually... all of those seem quite likely to happen. As far as which one will come quickest, I'd probably say the Corporate Realty redevelopment at 20th St.

I'm losing track of these projects. Of all the big projects that have been announced (the parks, the 20th St. redevelopment, the redevelopment at the Fed Reserve site, etc.) which one's do you guys think will actually come to fruition?

Of the ones you mention, I think the RR Reservation Park has the most obvious momentum -- not that its completely out of the woods. The Corporate Realty development on 20th St S is projected in two phases. The first of those would seem to be moving forward, as does the first phase of Melaver's two-phase Fed Reserve project. The second phase of each of those involves office space, for which I am not confident of the demand - we'll just have to see.

The other park projects appear to be in jeopardy, given the attitude of the new County Commission and Congress' decision to wipe the slate clean of pork projects (for the time being).

I continue to be surprised by the fact that the Cabana/Leer Tower project seems to still have legs. I presume that the Brown-Marx proposal has been completely abandoned, though.

• 5 weeks later...

Mmmmm...

the Birmingham Zoning Board is recommending that the City Council approve the request to construct an Asian Plaza along a portion of Green Springs Highway. The project is expected to include two restaurants (one with Chinese food and another with Vietnamese food). I'm sorry, but I LOVE Vietnamese food, so maybe no one else is excited but me :yahoo: ... Anyway, they also plan to have an Asian Market and other retail. They plan to model it after some similar areas in Atlanta.

Good to see IMO. Not only does that mean one more option for Vietnamese food, but it encourages diversity and the growth of the asian community in the Birmingham region. The owners hope for it to become a regional draw and not just the local community.

I say more power to them.

Good to see IMO. Not only does that mean one more option for Vietnamese food, but it encourages diversity and the growth of the asian community in the Birmingham region. The owners hope for it to become a regional draw and not just the local community.

I say more power to them.

same here - thanks for passing it along.

in addition to all the benefits you named, it's also a nice step for an area that is ripe for rejuvenation one small, modest business at a time. green springs is perfect as an attractor of hungry, les well-heeled retailers / restaurateurs who want a chance to succeed but lack the funds to give their vision a shot in a more expensive part of town. could eventually become a less bombed-out corridor and actually have a little injection of character in the process. wouldn't that make for a nice connecting corridor from UAB to lakeshore?

same here - thanks for passing it along.

in addition to all the benefits you named, it's also a nice step for an area that is ripe for rejuvenation one small, modest business at a time. green springs is perfect as an attractor of hungry, les well-heeled retailers / restaurateurs who want a chance to succeed but lack the funds to give their vision a shot in a more expensive part of town. could eventually become a less bombed-out corridor and actually have a little injection of character in the process. wouldn't that make for a nice connecting corridor from UAB to lakeshore?

I agree also. I believe that Greensprings does have a very bright future as a booming cooridor once again. It could be a more ethinicity diverse/exotic extension of the Southside with the right mix and additional infastructure.

I agree also. I believe that Greensprings does have a very bright future as a booming cooridor once again. It could be a more ethinicity diverse/exotic extension of the Southside with the right mix and additional infastructure.

That's interesting. I thought I was the only who had grand visions for Greensprings. In my opinion, that highway is sorely underused. To be a major thoroughfare that connects with Lakeshore, passes Homewood and opens up with an amazing skyling shot leading into UAB, I feel Birmingham is not capitalizing on that area's true potential (but then again what's new). Spruce up Greensprings (and possibly add some linear trails), encourage new mid to high-rise mixed use development, etc... It could truly be a great street if done properly.

That's interesting. I thought I was the only who had grand visions for Greensprings. In my opinion, that highway is sorely underused. To be a major thoroughfare that connects with Lakeshore, passes Homewood and opens up with an amazing skyling shot leading into UAB, I feel Birmingham is not capitalizing on that area's true potential (but then again what's new). Spruce up Greensprings (and possibly add some linear trails), encourage new mid to high-rise mixed use development, etc... It could truly be a great street if done properly.

Which brings me back to why I think this guy that wants to revamp Edgewood should filter his energy into redoing the Palisades and leave the charm of old Homewood alone. The Palisades are in a great location -- but it needs that "something" to become popular again...

Apparently a Georgia developer is planning on building a $750M residential project off Logan Martin Lake (just east of Birmingham). Sounds like quite a significant investment if indeed it comes to fruition.

nearly a billion dollars? do you know what shape this development is supposed to take (cul-de-sac suburb; new urbanist community; condos & townhouses; lake mansions, etc...)? is it mixed-use w/ some retail or 'dega tourist attraction-type stuff? that's a lot of money just for dwellings alone. but wow - sounds like it could make a huge footprint.

nearly a billion dollars? do you know what shape this development is supposed to take (cul-de-sac suburb; new urbanist community; condos & townhouses; lake mansions, etc...)? is it mixed-use w/ some retail or 'dega tourist attraction-type stuff? that's a lot of money just for dwellings alone. but wow - sounds like it could make a huge footprint.

Supposedly I think it will be a high-end type development. Going to have a marina and I believe more of a luxury resort type feel maybe. I also believe it indicated it would stretch about 2-miles worth of lakefront property. I assume it will be mixed-use simply based on the sound of it and the way developments seem to be trending these days. Haven't seen many of the details.

Birmingham woos St. Louis developer

Michael V. Roberts is looking to building a hotel, lofts, or another major development here. He owns Roberts Crowne-Plaza Hotel in Atlanta as well as developments in Tampa and Houston. If he decides to build here maybe he might construct a major hotel which would be much appreciative towards the downtown redevelopment and BJCC expansion.

• 3 weeks later...

It may be in the suburbs (actually Hoover to be exact), but I read in an article today that in April, developers plan to break ground on a 10-story Embassy Suites that would be located on John Hawkins Parkway (ie, Highway 150) and right near the Riverchase Galleria.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on the Railroad Reservation Park and adjacent housing developments?

The funding for at least the first phase is in place... I've heard construction could begin anywhere from sometime this summer to sometime this fall. Of course you never know around here... seems like things just get put off and put off. No real reason not to, however, because as I understand it, everything is in place for the first phase to begin.

As for housing/residential developments nearby, those depend entirely on the park. Several proposals popped up with the Railroad Park idea first came out... then they were put on hold because of the enormity of time it was taking to dot the i's and cross the t's. Probably once actual site work and construction on the park begins, you'll see and hear of more proposals springing up again. Unlike the Birmingham Dome, it's not a matter of IF so much anymore... just a matter of WHEN.