Metro Birmingham Projects List

ironchapman

my wifes cousins friend was robbed at gunpoint the other day in 5 points south while walking a dog.

I'm sorry to hear that, but what does this really have to do with the area projects?

BTW, it is pretty well-known with natives that 5 Points South is a least safe part of the City Center compared to Downtown and Midtown. I had a classmate mugged and assaulted his freshmen year on the UAB campus. Most residents and UAB students know not to walk around alone the Southside after dark.

I'm sorry to hear that, but what does this really have to do with the area projects?

BTW, it is pretty well-known with natives that 5 Points South is a least safe part of the City Center compared to Downtown and Midtown. I had a classmate mugged and assaulted his freshmen year on the UAB campus. Most residents and UAB students know not to walk around alone the Southside after dark.

[/quote

I would be hesitant to eat at applebees down there.. first time I was there I was surrounded by the homeless guys at the fountain... I'm usually not hesitant to go anywhere.. but I do get a very bad vibe when I'm down there.. I did go out into downtown yesterday at about 7pm felt pretty safe then... I just dont want to create a perfect situation for the drug addicts down there..

Noticed that there's a contractor's sign hanging at the Avondale Bricks office condo project (41st St & 2nd Av S in Avondale). Looks like they're starting by demolishing the (badly damaged) roof assembly.

Anyone know anything about the construction schedule for the hotel at the former Royal Inn (20th St S), the Corp. Realty Dev. project at 20th St & 1st Av S or the Melaver project at the former Fed. Reserve Branch?

Well, if Five Points South going to be doing something, that something needs to be a refurnishing of most the brick work on the streets and sidewalks in the immediate area. Some of those areas are flat out horrible the last time I was there. I am twisted my ankle a number of times on the sidewalks on the Southside surrounding Five Points South.

when I go to the Birmingham skyscraper diagram page on this site skyscraperpage it shows a proposed mixed use 45 story building... is that something that came up long ago and got shot down? theres also a 28 story westin hotel on there.. sorry if thats a buncha old stuff I'm new here :) forgive me

The Westin was to be with the proposed BJCC Dome and such, so that one is likely off the table at this point. The 45-story one I think was just a rumor. There have been increasing numbers of major high-rise proposals/discussions over the last several years, but nothing of huge significance has come of those discussions. Hopefully that'll change in the near future.

Word is Downtown maybe a future location of a major chain of recreational and fitness centers. (Bally's, Gold's Gym, etc.)

I would perfer Bally's only because Birmingham doesn't have one yet, but whichever. Where do you think would be the best location for one? I think somewhere near the future Railroad Reservation Park would be good since it is close to future and present condos, as well as, UAB.

I would perfer Bally's only because Birmingham doesn't have one yet, but whichever. Where do you think would be the best location for one? I think somewhere near the future Railroad Reservation Park would be good since it is close to future and present condos, as well as, UAB.

I'm not exactly sure, but word has been thrown around of Downtown being a location.

I'm not exactly sure, but word has been thrown around of Downtown being a location.

There's already a good one downtown:

http://www.bodyandsoul-fitness.com/

Other downtown fitness centers are located at the YMCA, UAB, "Curves" on 4th Av. S, and Lakeview Fitness. There might be others associated with hotels or condos, as well.

It may be in the suburbs (actually Hoover to be exact), but I read in an article today that in April, developers plan to break ground on a 10-story Embassy Suites that would be located on John Hawkins Parkway (ie, Highway 150) and right near the Riverchase Galleria.

I heard from my friends from Hoover and Vestavia Hills that there's going to be a Hyatt Place near the Riverchase Galleria. If that's true, then when is it going to be open?

It's great for an Embassy Suites by Hilton to be near the Galleria

Please post if you know what else is coming near the Galleria and all of the Hoover areas :)

Looks like the Residence Inn proposed for 20th Street near the DoubleTree hotel might actually see some action now. A recent Bizjournal story indicates that Crescent Hotels and Resorts will join the Clarkson Group on the project. Good news I would say. I'm not sure if this is what had been holding up the project, but now that a hotel development company in particular has joined on with the project, I assume there's little doubt now that it will be realized.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BLACH BUILDING SET FOR NEW LEASE ON LIFE

The 18-loft project set to revitalize the former Blach's department store in the City Center is set to be opened for the public viewing Thursday, September 27th. It will be just second phase of the 117-year-old renovation and redevelopment of the property. The other phase was the relocation of the MBA Structural Engineers, Incorporated from Forest Park to the buildings ground floor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...