View from Glenwood Ave to Falls of the Neuse Rd Along I-440 Beltline

RALNATIVE

The view on the outer beltline side of I-440 has dramatically changed for the better over the last few years. The North Hills towers along with the Midtown Exchange tower going up has made a formerly drab stretch standout with modern and impressive structures. As additional developments are completed, this area will continue to pop.

I'm curious to know how others feel about the impact that these developments are having on Raleigh's image and growth.

• Like 3

I think the view along 440 makes Raleigh really look like a big city it is.  I am glad John Kane is doing more intown and in south downtown too.  North Hills Midtown area is the largest suburban location urban cluster from DC area to Atlanta.  I still think BRT needs to connect going north to both North Hills and Midtown Exchange some how some way.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think the view along 440 makes Raleigh really look like a big city it is.  I am glad John Kane is doing more intown and in south downtown too.  North Hills Midtown area is the largest suburban location urban cluster from DC area to Atlanta.  I still think BRT needs to connect going north to both North Hills and Midtown Exchange some how some way.  

That's precisely what I was thinking. As NH and Midtown continue to get built out, that stretch will give Raleigh the feel of a true big city, much more so than downtown currently does. Downtown will eventually achieve that goal of representing Raleigh as a big city, with all of the current and planned developments, but that stretch of NH/Midtown has moved at warp speed in that direction.

• Like 2

I love the way it looks on that stretch. I've noticed that when traveling on I-440 EB approaching Wake Forest Rd (Exit 10) that the new tower (currently under construction) at the Midtown Exchange site is quite visible from the beltline. I'd REALLY love to see the same type of modern, high rise towers on the other side of the beltline in that same area. The Triangle doesn't really have an area where you're surrounded by high rises on both sides of the highway, and personally that's an aesthetic I absolutely love. I'm really excited to see how the view continues to change as those apartments on Navaho get demolished and replaced. That's a very visible piece of property.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Raleigh Walker said:

I love the way it looks on that stretch. I've noticed that when traveling on I-440 EB approaching Wake Forest Rd (Exit 10) that the new tower (currently under construction) at the Midtown Exchange site is quite visible from the beltline. I'd REALLY love to see the same type of modern, high rise towers on the other side of the beltline in that same area. The Triangle doesn't really have an area where you're surrounded by high rises on both sides of the highway, and personally that's an aesthetic I absolutely love. I'm really excited to see how the view continues to change as those apartments on Navaho get demolished and replaced. That's a very visible piece of property.

I was wondering about those apartments. Have plans already been presented to replace those with a new development?

They are definitely an eyesore.

On 6/27/2023 at 12:25 AM, RALNATIVE said:

I was wondering about those apartments. Have plans already been presented to replace those with a new development?

They are definitely an eyesore.

Last I saw was the article from TBJ that they were purchased by FCP development group, and they were looking to rezone to 20 stories. Agree though, quite an eyesore:

image.thumb.png.cc0b5ea2bee5371b9956d7ac085ba4a6.png

It's so visible from the beltline and so close to the other devs. I turn this exact scene around 180° and we get:

image.thumb.png.555e60c40b95cd61e77de76371539aec.png

With another large development in that red circle- looks to be about 12-15 stories right now, but I haven't counted. Then when you keep in mind Atlas Stark also bought several properties on Computer Drive pretty much right at this spot on the other side of the beltline....man, this is going to be quite a scene in a few years! So very different. What a change:

image.thumb.png.006f79bc1dd40c84fd2473a31c2f754c.png

• Like 3

I drove on 440 by all of this today no photos due to smoky hazy conditions due to the Canadian fires but it is very impressive for sure.  Those "eyesore" apartments though are naturally occurring affordable housing and that would be unfortunate to raze it.   agree the land is a lot more valuable now and would hope any redevelopment would have some affordable units in larger denser project.  

• Like 4